News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric flitestreak  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Electric flitestreak
« on: March 23, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
Just some random notes from the first flight of this electric flitestreak.
 I set the hubin FM-0c to the lowest time setting. I timed the delay and the "flight time" on the ground before an actual flight. I got a delay of 33sec and 1:46 min for flight time.
 I recharged the pack and found that only used 345mah.
 So I went ahead and flew it. After 6 short flights, I switched from 3s to 4s. The power was significantly better and the added weight helped with the line tension. All in all a successful day. I ended up with 9 flights total.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Electric flitestreak
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 03:49:22 PM »
Mah used from a 3s after 1:46 flight

Online David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 03:58:05 PM »
What motor, battery size etc. are you using?

Thanks.

Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 05:20:35 PM »
Well, it's an axi 2212/34. It's only rated for 3s and it is only 710kv. I used a 4s today anyway. I'm not sold on this motor as the final decision. It's not that much power. So I'll play with props.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 05:29:32 AM »
The Flightstreak was my 1st electric CL model, It originally have a Fox 36x combat special in it and I loved it, Lost touch with CL due to marriage, divorce, marriage, house moves, bringing up kids etc.

30 years later found it's remains in an attic clear out. Rescued it from the bin much to wifey's annoyance and was only allowed to keep it if I "Did something with it". (A statement I'm sure she has regretted ever since).  mw~

Went electric and it originally had a an AXI 2820 1500KV in it on a 3 cell A123 pack which got me back into CL again. Sedate for 6 minutes while learning exciting for 4 minutes once I had my confidence back. Several rebuilds and it's currently has an old Scorpion 3014 1187KV on a 3S Lipo. Nice middle ground, Fast enough to be a flightstreak, Slow enough to be a stunter. Took the decision to slot the LE as the original was badly fuel soaked and built a sturdy battery box. No issues with strength even after several figure 9's.

TTFN
John.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
Dane,
This is what we do to the ARF flight Streaks and they fly great and do a full pattern easily with power to spare. Use this motor, it WONT break the bank, or similar https://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb90-3015-1020kv.html    (The one shown on mine is NOT this motor but a similar cheap Chinese motor.) Use a 4s 2200 such as a Zippy compact 25c or a Thunderpower 4s 2200 or similar. I like the Castle speed controllers and the FM9 timers on them but anything similar should work fine on that plane for your purposes. I'm using a 9x6 thin electric APC on mine. Many similar props should work. What we are using DOES work and we have hundred of flights on this setup. I'll post a few pictures.
AMA 98010

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
Beautiful. That Zippy battery is what I was using on my 4s test. So I have your same set as yours, minus that motor. I'll go ahead and order that motor.
Thanks William!

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 02:34:44 PM »
Dane,
This is what we do to the ARF flight Streaks and they fly great and do a full pattern easily with power to spare. Use this motor, it WONT break the bank, or similar https://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb90-3015-1020kv.html    (The one shown on mine is NOT this motor but a similar cheap Chinese motor.) Use a 4s 2200 such as a Zippy compact 25c or a Thunderpower 4s 2200 or similar. I like the Castle speed controllers and the FM9 timers on them but anything similar should work fine on that plane for your purposes. I'm using a 9x6 thin electric APC on mine. Many similar props should work. What we are using DOES work and we have hundred of flights on this setup. I'll post a few pictures.

Seems like a lot of battery mah capacity for a streak sized plane.   How much is left in the "tank" afterward? 

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
Seems like a lot of battery mah capacity for a streak sized plane.   How much is left in the "tank" afterward?

I would suspect a smaller battery would be cool. I'll check mah used after I install that motor. But even with that monster battery, it still feels and flys light

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
If I remember right, its been a few years since we flew that plane a lot, i think we used about 1500-1600 mah doing the pattern. It was mostly used to get my son from the beginner level to the intermediate level. The plane had no issues carrying that battery and turned just fine. The system just worked so we didn't mess with it. My attitude was, This is an Arf Flight streak, This works, go fly it , learn the pattern and move on. I wasn't about to overthink this. Just for comparison sake we have used the exact same set up on arf Noblers , both the Topflite and the UHP Gieskie Nobler. The only change we made was using a 10x6 or a slightly clipped 11 inch prop. The only thing with that is that you want to keep the weight in the high 30's or low 40oz range for best performance.
AMA 98010

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »
I have one also. Cheap e-flite motor, 4S battery, Castle ESC.

Get 88 mph on 60 foot lines. I have changes now that should get it to 100 mph. Not bad. I will find out soon.

Fun to fly. I usually use it at the beach at low tide. Long flat beach gets us about 1/4 mile from anybody! Good times.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 07:27:27 AM »
I have one also. Cheap e-flite motor, 4S battery, Castle ESC.

Get 88 mph on 60 foot lines. I have changes now that should get it to 100 mph. Not bad. I will find out soon.

Fun to fly. I usually use it at the beach at low tide. Long flat beach gets us about 1/4 mile from anybody! Good times.

Honestly I hadn't picked up a handle since November at our last contest. I picked this up off a friend for cheap. It really "sparked" me to get back to flying.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 09:02:16 AM »
So after 4 attempts of ordering from hobbypartz with paypal I gave up and used a credit card directly on their site. I don't particularly like doing that, but it worked.
I also ordered new ESC's. ZTW mantis series from altitude hobbies. I wanted an esc rated at 4s with a bec. I already received the speed controls, I gotta check and see if the motors came in.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 12:06:30 PM »
Got motors and speed controls in from the mail. New motor installed. Easy switch, everything was already drilled. I just gotta solder the connectors on the esc leads.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »
Sweet. New motor. New ZTW esc. Will be testing on my tattu funfly 1550 4s. They're 100c, so it will put out the power!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here