News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:30:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Ducted Fans for C/L  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Bill Gruby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electric Ducted Fans for C/L
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
 OK it's water under the bridge now so lets try to get this one back together. Cyber Space is Cyber Space.

A lot of info was lost on this one so I'm going to try with your help to regain it. I want to build a C/L Stunt Twin Ducted fan. That's the long and the short of it. Would those who posted the info please do so again. Like a dummy I did not transfer the info to a file on my PC. That won't happen again.

"Billy (The Dreamer) G"   VD~
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Electric Ducted Fans for C/L
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
Wow, how sad!!!

Looks like the meltdown has wiped out most of November and all of the Threads through Jan 23rd!! A huge amount of good information has been lost. I have my computer set to backup critical data every night and just once it has saved me -- but once is enough. Of course, I didn't start the daily backups until I had a bad experience with NO backup.

Anyway, Bill you have my phone number and feel free to give me a call anytime. I hope others will repost the kind of information they had originally posted. Maybe just maybe someone has saved this and/or threads and that Sparky can then restore.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:42:57 AM »
 I realize that the info lost in the original Ducted Fan thread and the thread by Larry Cunningham was sometimes put in a very long post, but it was necessary to do it that way. I know I speak for Larry here too in asking that you take the time and repost the info for us. All of the info in both threads was extremely important to both of us.

Thank You --- "Billy G"  D>K
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »
Billy
Here is the information for running the two Ducted Fans with my U/Tronics Single Channel control.

Please follow the starting sequence given at the bottom of the instruction sheet.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:44:46 AM »
 Opinions please.

All up weight of the model will be 20zs, no more. the wing area (if it matters) is 307 sq. in. Two 60 mm fans with 20 ozs of thrust each. Will this be enough thrust for this size model.  Does anyone have any idea what kind of performance it will show(if any).

"Billy G"  VD~
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
Bill,
Here's my 2 cents.

You are beyond where most of us have experience. I applaud you for your efforts!  H^^
 I think it is a good idea to start where you are at--basically something in the "15-20" size category.

So I would just do it! Somewhere on this board I have a thread about my 1/2 A pusher canard plane. Not sure if I will continue with it or not, but I learned a few things (also they were pointed out to me). Certainly was a bizarre first flight!

I have a similar rc ducted fan-a Fantom ---http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/107310.asp

It is a hoot to fly, and when I'm in the mood (which is soon--it looks like above 32F on Monday!) it is a lot of fun. Big open maneuvers and the "swoosh" factor can't be underestimated. It is a single fan of course using a 3s2100mAHr battery for energy.

As a prototype, you might consider changing your plan to a single fan. The only reason is to save a few bucks to see whether there are any show stoppers. A two fan setup requires 2 ESC's (mine has a single 30A ESC). I know that what you show looks cooler, but I am a big believer in "small baby steps" when tip-toeing in the dark! If it looks like it might be a success, then I would go for what you want to do.

Anyway that's my take on it. There are a lot of issues---jets aren't known for their square maneuvers for example. However there is a real "cool" factor here.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:37 AM »
 Thank you Alan;

You are correct, there are a lot of issues to overcome. We will get there. The two fans were decided on because of the lack of sufficient thrust from one small one..I have pondered the idea of a single fan and am now also leaning toward the idea Igor proposed. Using an all foam proto-type like his indoor models. we will see.

I have taken a simple approach to "Vectored Thrust' I measured the distance between the center line of the fans and the center line of the Stab/Elev. I moved the fans down half that distance and the Stab/Elev up half the distance. This puts the "Barn Door" elev. of a Ringmaster right in the middle os the thrust path. Up will vector the thrust up and down elev. down thrust. Does this make sense or am I looking at it wrong?

I read about your pusher, don't stop now, you are well on the way to success.

I will update this as I move ahead. I am confident we will succeed.

"Billy G"   D>K
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 06:34:10 AM »
G-Man
In one of the lost posts was a tag to another forum.  I remember reading it and looking at the other information.  The thing I remember most was that for 3D RC they want 2 to 1 thrust to weight so you should have plenty of thrust for what you want to do.

Good luck friend,
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 05:14:44 PM »
Bill,

You say the all up weight of the model will be 20 OZ.  Is this correct?  2 EDFs and batteries are going to eat up a big chunk of that.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »
Bill,

You say the all up weight of the model will be 20 OZ.  Is this correct?  2 EDFs and batteries are going to eat up a big chunk of that.

Sorry Bill, gots big fingers --- meant to hit the 3 for 30 ozs.

"Billy G"   :-[
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
I dunno guys, the G-man is world famous for those off the charts Ringmasters, I kinda figured he was going to take that most-awesome Ringer-bipe and fit it with a ducted fan so it looked something like this...!  8)  :o  #^  LL~
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:01:59 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 06:27:57 AM »
 Don't get me side tracked Dennis. That's a heck of an idea though. I put that one in the book, will look into it after this one.

Looks like I'm runnin into trouble already. Here is the gear I wish to use and its weight.

From Hobby Lobby  (2)Alpha Fans  ALF5103M 1 oz each ---- (2)Mega Motors mm1675 1.7 ozs each ---- (1)Thunder Power 4s Xtreme V2 3300 mAh  12.4 ozs

FromCastle Creations  (2)Phoenix 45 ESC's  1 oz each

If I added right this comes to 19.8 ozs total. Dosen't give me much room for error does it? Does this equipment seem right to you?

"Billy G"  ???
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 06:55:41 AM »
Bill -Go here and spend an evening - lots of EDF info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-ducted-fan-jet-talk-12/

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »
Bill -Go here and spend an evening - lots of EDF info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-ducted-fan-jet-talk-12/

[/quote

AN EVENING --- I could be in there for days At a quick glance I spotted the 110 inch "Warthog". And you guys think I'm nuts.  LL~ LL~ LL~

"Billy G"  VD~ VD~ VD~
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »
 Everything aside, we are going thru with this project without looking back. Building has begun. Pictured is the wing gear laminated from 4 layers of 1/64 plywood. Total weight for everything you see is just over 22 grams. The mold is in the other picture. Those legs were a %$#&^ to mold.  LL~ LL~

"Billy G" y1
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »
I'm really  H^^ impressed by your squirrel torture rack (picture #2).

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
Nice job Bill.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 07:49:39 PM »
Hey Bill,
Are you familiar with this company. In addition to the EDF unit shown on this page, in the "Propulsion" section, there's a $200 EDF set that produces 4.2 lbs. of thrust! See:   http://www.Ductedfans.com/Hoffman_brushless_Beast_Wild_Beast_Mighty_Might.html

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here