News:

• May 17, 2024, 11:32:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric design  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Electric design
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »
I see that some electric designs use a notch in the wing LE to get the battery further aft than the normal tank location of IC designs. Except for the interference with the bellcrank, would it make sense to move the battery even further aft, as in all the way to the CG to minimize the barbell effect to the absolute minimum ?   I realize the bc would have to be completely re-located from it's normal location, but feel like that's doable with a minimal weight gain.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Electric design
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
Sure Allan, On my purpose built electric Ringmasters I have the battery pretty close to the CG. To avoid bellcrank interference, I mounted the bellcrank to the inboard side of the fuselage.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
With the battery on the CG, how is the model going to balance?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »
With a lower moment of inertia,  I was thinking the model would not need as much tail volume as it would otherwise ?   That should mean shorter tail moment and/or a smaller tail .  Don't know if it would be enough to restore balance or not.   Just thinking out loud, if I'm all wet here I'm hoping the aero engineering types will weight in. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »
I'd be interested in their answers or comments.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
With a lower moment of inertia,

I just did the math:

The lowest moment of inertia would come if you could mount the motor and the battery pack in exactly the same spot.  Getting them as close together as possible would be second best.

I've seen a profile that put the battery right under the motor in a chin scoop -- that would be best from a moment of inertia point of view, if perhaps not in any other way.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
Tim is correct.  I posted a calculator that shows this.  You learned it in high school physics.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »
I mounted the bellcrank to the inboard side of the fuselage.

John, that is so Flite Streaky.  You should receive a letter of censure from the Brotherhood of the Ring.

I go through Bloomington twice a year or so.  We should visit and fly a little electric stunt. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
Ok, I'll wade into this (as I'm about to start making balsa dust on another electric profile).

Assuming that we mount the battery underneath the motor to acheive the most desireable moment of inertia (which I assume would correspond with a shortened nose), would we then not start to create issues with our vertical CG?

Would we then be better off shifting the wing's vertical position to minimise the vertical CG/leadout moment? I assume lowering would be the direction we'd want to go.

Not that this point matters really as it's mostly a forgone conclusion that you'd want the engine on top to maintain prop clearance, but if we weren't worried about that what would be better? Battery on top or engine?

Just sounding this stuff out in my head (it's pretty empty up there so it's makes a lot of sound  n~)
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »

For the Ringmaster the CG came out very close to correct as shown. You can see that I made provision for moving the battery forward or to the rear to set the CG.
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
John, that is so Flite Streaky.  You should receive a letter of censure from the Brotherhood of the Ring.

I go through Bloomington twice a year or so.  We should visit and fly a little electric stunt. 

Ha Howard, That is an old time legal S-1 Ringmaster!! Well it is legal if you don't get too bent out of shape over it being electric and having the wing bashed for the battery mount!!  ;D

Give me a heads up next time you come through Bloomington and we will do some electric stuff and chew a bit of fat!!  y1  y1
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
Assuming that we mount the battery underneath the motor to acheive the most desireable moment of inertia (which I assume would correspond with a shortened nose), would we then not start to create issues with our vertical CG?

We certainly would if we didn't move the motor up.

Would we then be better off shifting the wing's vertical position to minimise the vertical CG/leadout moment? I assume lowering would be the direction we'd want to go.

If we did not move the motor up, yes.

Somehow the effort to move the motor up on a profile seems less than to move the wing down -- it certainly wouldn't be if you're scratch-building.

Another option that's particularly apt on a profile is to put a cheek cowl on the inboard side and put the battery there, way up to a forward that's not as far forward as a piston engine would be.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »
wouldn't that then cause issues with your lateral CG?

How about for argument's sake, an inboard mounted motor with an outboard mounted battery?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 09:40:06 PM »

Another option that's particularly apt on a profile is to put a cheek cowl on the inboard side and put the battery there, way up to a forward that's not as far forward as a piston engine would be.

thats a good idea except,, then you will double your needed tip weight,, a better solution is to mount the  battery OUTBOARD of the fuse,, where it will replace most of the tip weight required,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
So, how about moving the motor inboard? >:D
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 11:06:13 PM »
But seriously, folks,  putting the motor and battery on top of or beside each other minimizes the moment of inertia, but it's not necessarily something you want to do. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »
Moving the concentrated weight closer to the CG will give a better turn than moving it forward to balance. I have this as first hand knowledge. Moment of inertia means little in feel. Building the tail as light as possible and the a 6.5 ounce motor as far out as needed to balance will give a better feel than a short nose where battery and motor are close and weight added to balance. Try it for your self I have.
AMA 12366

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »
Robert, you have said this many times, but I sincerely don't understand it.   What do you mean by concentrated weight?  I take it that you consider the battery concentrated weight, but do you consider the motor concentrated weight?  When you say "weight added to balance" above, do you mean weight in the tail?  If so, I think conventional science agrees with you; the misunderstanding is perhaps in how the problem is stated.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 07:02:38 PM »
Robert, you have said this many times, but I sincerely don't understand it.   What do you mean by concentrated weight?  I take it that you consider the battery concentrated weight, but do you consider the motor concentrated weight?  When you say "weight added to balance" above, do you mean weight in the tail?  If so, I think conventional science agrees with you; the misunderstanding is perhaps in how the problem is stated.

Design the plane to move the battery back as close to the leading edge as possible. Tail length of normal size and make the nose as long as necessary to balance the plane without adding any weight to the NOSE. You will see a blazing turn then as you will have the equivalent of a FOX .35 in "weight" at the farthest away from the CG.

The brick is the battery. Use the lightest battery you can get away with. Less is more. My last plane has a 17.25 tail and a 11.5 nose moment but the battery is setting into the leading edge of the wing. I had it moved forward thinking I need it to balance. I did not. The balance on this plane is a small amount forward of where a IC would balance.

When I test flew this plane in the configuration of forward battery location I was less then impressed had that piped feeling. This is not for me. Move the battery back it has the FOX.35 feeling with great line tension and I do mean great!

I do consider the motor as concentrated weight but 6.5 is less than a 13 ounce IC engine out the farthest away from the CG. As I stated somewhere before the next airplane will have the battery standing straight up in front of the leading edge and I will have to build the tail lighter to get it to balance.
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 08:17:16 PM »
I figured out how to explain the feel. This is for electric planes, move the battery as far forward as possible add some solder to the tail wheel to get it to balance. Fly it and trim it until you feel the turn is as good as it gets. Mark the CG.

Now take the solder off and move the battery back until it balances in the same spot. Fly the airplane and see if you can feel the difference in performance.

Same CG but with the brick moved back. It will perform better ask me how I know. This is my last attempt to explain this mystery.
AMA 12366

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 11:35:08 PM »
Oh, that's something quite different.  If you keep the CG the same, remove weight from the tail, and move the battery back, you are reducing moment of inertia (and a little weight) for the same CG.  I'd expect the airplane to fly better.  You could reduce the moment of inertia even more for the same CG by moving the battery forward and motor aft.

This inertial stuff is pretty basic physics.  The mass properties of a rigid body--correct me if I'm mistaken, Brett--are determined by where the CG is and the direction of and moments of inertia about the three principal axes.  There's nothing special about "concentrated weight".  So, given two rigid bodies with the same CG and moments of inertia, one having masses concentrated and the other having them distributed, there's no way to tell which is which by applying forces or moments to them: their responses will be the same.  If they are airplanes with the same shape, they will both fly the same.

When you moved your battery back without removing weight from the tail, you moved your CG back.  Maybe you liked the farther aft CG position better.  Maybe the farther aft CG works better with the leadout position you had.  

It could be, but I sorta doubt it, that increasing pitch moment of inertia makes a stunt plane fly better.  As far as I know, nobody has gone to the bother of calculating the longitudinal dynamics of a stunt plane, which would tell you.    
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 11:41:28 PM »
Something interesting came up when I recently talked to Robert.  He suggested distributing the battery weight.  What if you distributed it out the wings?  One example would be on a twin.  Should you have one battery in the middle or one at each motor? 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »
Something interesting came up when I recently talked to Robert.  He suggested distributing the battery weight.  What if you distributed it out the wings?  One example would be on a twin.  Should you have one battery in the middle or one at each motor? 

That depends on whether minimizing the moment of inertia in pitch is a desirable thing (you just had to question that), and whether having a higher moment of inertia in roll is desirable or not (a high roll moment of inertia would make it respond less promptly to wind gusts, but take longer to settle down).

This is from my 2nd-year mechanical engineering book: The moment of inertia of a rigid assembly is equal to the sum of the moments of inertia of the parts, plus the sum of the moments of inertia of the parts taken as point masses at their individual centers of gravity.  (Dangit -- that was supposed to clarify things).  Anyway, if you take the battery and motor as one assembly, located so as to balance the plane*, then the best you can do is to co-locate them.

The trick is that you have to balance the plane perfectly, then build it -- that's kinda hard to do unless you're building ten planes in a row, and are an exceedingly consistent builder.

One note: if moment of inertia were the only thing that mattered, then the best way to balance a plane without adding much to the moment of inertia is by adding lots of weight close to the CG -- that's because the CG is affected as distance times mass, where the moment of inertia is affected as distance squared times mass.

* This is different from what Robert is doing -- he's moving the battery, then adding lead to the tail for balance.  Any reduction in moment of inertia that he gets by moving the battery away from the best balance point is then obviated by the increase in moment of inertia caused by adding balance weight.  All mass in the plane contributes to the moment of inertia.
AMA 64232

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »

This inertial stuff is pretty basic physics.  The mass properties of a rigid body--correct me if I'm mistaken, Brett--are determined by where the CG is and the direction of and moments of inertia about the three principal axes.  There's nothing special about "concentrated weight".  So, given two rigid bodies with the same CG and moments of inertia, one having masses concentrated and the other having them distributed, there's no way to tell which is which by applying for

You need my stamp of approval on this? Good one! 

One feature of point masses that does matter- it's a lot easier to calculate the effect on the moment of inertia. Alternately, one could divide a "distributed mass" into ever-smaller point masses and then somehow treat them as individual points, each with it's own distance and mass, but that's some form of magic that is not discussed in our common-sense world.

As discussed here in a relatively trivial observation that nonetheless made people angry:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=198303&mesg_id=198303&listing_type=search#198340

for a given "balance moment" you get less inertia from a heavy mass on a short nose than you do with a light mass on a long nose.

Brett

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
 Keep adding lead to a short nose do a spread sheet and figure it out. I guess its just too easy. Have fun I'm out.

Moment of inertia means zip unless your crashing through the Netzaban wall.  LL~
AMA 12366

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Hello Allan,
Hello All,
Allan, we have to solve two problems (at least) at one time: you want to minimize the pitch inertia and the plane must balance.

The tail moment is selected for handling characteristics, and the nose length is selected for balance.
I'm not kidding: that's all that noses are for.
That, and I cannot imagine why you'd change the tail moment (which affects handling) just to get balance.
That's almost as bad as changing the length of the tail so that the fuse sides fit in the kit box ... and the stories about that are legend!

Propellers are destabilizers, and putting them farther forward just gives them more leverage to do that unhelpful job.

Keeping the battery and motor close together, in a nose that is juuuust long enough to get balance,  minimizes the rotational inertia as Tim and Howard astutely point out.
It also means that the nose will be just long enough to balance ... and no longer.

So if you want an airplane that balances and has low pitch inertia, build the tail light like Sparky said, and make the nose as short as possible while still getting the battery far forward enough to balance.
Come to think of it ... just build light! Less "barbell" in pitch is always better.
It's nice when the theory and the practical agree, right Sparky?
That means that the theory isn't based on incomplete thinking and that the practical experiment controlled all the necessary variables.

Now, just to be a troublemaker, let me add another dimension to this design question.
Just a few weekends ago, I was at the RC field with my buddy Matt.
He has been working busily this last year on gasoline engines for F3A and has finally gotten the powerplant handling characteristics to the point where they are competition-worthy.
All the development had been done with existing airplanes that were overweight (due to the weight of the gassers) and carried tons of tailweight to compensate.
As a result, the test ships flew like barbells, and we accepted the deficit carried on.
Eventually, Matt built a ship that met the 5 kilogram (11 pound) weight limit with a 3 pound engine.
It sure has a short nose, and a monstrous percentage of the planes mass is right up in the end of the nose.
This is the first plane in the development process that balances properly and isn't overweight, so flight bcharacteristics are now being evealuated seriously ...
Flown smoothly, it handles well, but try to make a tight square corner, and the plane feels sluggish.
It behaves noseheavy for quick pitch changes and behave like it is properly balanced for moderate corners and rounds.
Matt and I came to the conclusion that the plane's center of percussion is very far forward of the center of gravity.
This is a consequence of having nearly one third of the planes mass in one lump at the very end of the nose.
For those, who have never heard the term, the center of percussion is the center of rotational inertia ... and yes that is different than the C of G.
The sweet spot of a baseball bat is defined by its center of percussion.

Any comments?
Howard?

Regards,
  Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
Building light is Pooh poo ed cause its hard to do.
AMA 12366

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »
Matt should build yet another plane with the engine farther out and the electronics farther back?  (I'm assuming that you can do that).

It's an interesting note for anyone wanting to build a gas-powered CL stunter, should that ever happen.
AMA 64232

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
Something interesting came up when I recently talked to Robert. He suggested distributing the battery weight. What if you distributed it out the wings? One example would be on a twin. Should you have one battery in the middle or one at each motor?  

What I was referring to was the batteries I saw on Youtube. If I could use the covering on the wings as a battery spread out over the total area and then build the plane at 55 ounces with what ever nose moment it took to make it balance, My belief is it would have better control response. That's what I was talking about.

Skin weight to be no more than 10 ounces. Heavy concentrated weight in one spot is no good. Momentum acts upon it. Of coarse I have no practical experience.
AMA 12366

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
Building light is Pooh poo ed cause its hard to do.
Robert,, I dont think people poo poo it because its hare,, I really think the point is that light weight is not THE solution to the problem of stunt,, as Randy and others have said,, each design has a window where it works best,, that is a minimum weight,, and a maximum weight,, a stunter built with 700 square inches,, that weighs 45 ounces would not necessarily be better than the same one built to 60 ounces,, in fact the 60 ounce one may actually perform better,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
Hello Allan,
Hello All,
Allan, we have to solve two problems (at least) at one time: you want to minimize the pitch inertia and the plane must balance.

The tail moment is selected for handling characteristics, and the nose length is selected for balance.
I'm not kidding: that's all that noses are for.
That, and I cannot imagine why you'd change the tail moment (which affects handling) just to get balance.
That's almost as bad as changing the length of the tail so that the fuse sides fit in the kit box ... and the stories about that are legend!

Propellers are destabilizers, and putting them farther forward just gives them more leverage to do that unhelpful job.

Keeping the battery and motor close together, in a nose that is juuuust long enough to get balance,  minimizes the rotational inertia as Tim and Howard astutely point out.
It also means that the nose will be just long enough to balance ... and no longer.

So if you want an airplane that balances and has low pitch inertia, build the tail light like Sparky said, and make the nose as short as possible while still getting the battery far forward enough to balance.
Come to think of it ... just build light! Less "barbell" in pitch is always better.
It's nice when the theory and the practical agree, right Sparky?
That means that the theory isn't based on incomplete thinking and that the practical experiment controlled all the necessary variables.

Now, just to be a troublemaker, let me add another dimension to this design question.
Just a few weekends ago, I was at the RC field with my buddy Matt.
He has been working busily this last year on gasoline engines for F3A and has finally gotten the powerplant handling characteristics to the point where they are competition-worthy.
All the development had been done with existing airplanes that were overweight (due to the weight of the gassers) and carried tons of tailweight to compensate.
As a result, the test ships flew like barbells, and we accepted the deficit carried on.
Eventually, Matt built a ship that met the 5 kilogram (11 pound) weight limit with a 3 pound engine.
It sure has a short nose, and a monstrous percentage of the planes mass is right up in the end of the nose.
This is the first plane in the development process that balances properly and isn't overweight, so flight bcharacteristics are now being evealuated seriously ...
Flown smoothly, it handles well, but try to make a tight square corner, and the plane feels sluggish.
It behaves noseheavy for quick pitch changes and behave like it is properly balanced for moderate corners and rounds.
Matt and I came to the conclusion that the plane's center of percussion is very far forward of the center of gravity.
This is a consequence of having nearly one third of the planes mass in one lump at the very end of the nose.
For those, who have never heard the term, the center of percussion is the center of rotational inertia ... and yes that is different than the C of G.
The sweet spot of a baseball bat is defined by its center of percussion.

Any comments?
Howard?

Regards,
  Dean

You reckon that makes the prop stabilizing, rather than destabilizing?  Yep, we always used to locate the engine where it would make the CG come out right without ballast, but with electric, we don't have to.  If it behooves us to have the prop way out forward, the battery and motor can be separated to get the prop out there with less moment-of-inertia penalty than adding tailweight.  Robert may be on the right track.  

The nose on my plane is shorter than it oughta be.  The nose on the next one will be longer.  Meanwhile, I'm hoping for bliss from an 11" diameter 3-blade prop.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
Heavy concentrated weight in one spot is no good. Momentum acts upon it. Of coarse I have no practical experience.

You certainly have practical experience.  The problem is that the theory you concocted to explain it is in disagreement with basic physics.  You aren't alone there.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
This subject seems a bit complicated to me. If you have mass concentrated in the nose and tail regions I can understand that the inertia is different from concentrating the mass near the CG even as the total mass remains the same (that assumes that the CG is a kind of pivot point for changes in flight attitude). It strikes me that in a violent corner maneuver first the inertia must be overcome and then the momentum must be canceled to return to a given flight path.

Will the location of the mass (peripheral vs central concentration) make difference in way the model reacts to these changes in the flight path.

Howard   ;D, Keep in mind that I scored a D in freshman college physics back in 1950!!  y1
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »
Skin weight to be no more than 10 ounces. Heavy concentrated weight in one spot is no good. Momentum acts upon it. Of coarse I have no practical experience.

Inertia effects (what I think you mean by "momentum acts on it") apply to weight that's spread out, too.  A given mass, spread out, will have a higher moment of inertia than that same mass all concentrated in one point.

Whether having a super-low moment of inertia is desirable is a question I'll leave to better pilots than me.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
Howard   ;D, Keep in mind that I scored a D in freshman college physics back in 1950!!  y1

Oh, good thing I'm answering, then.

This subject seems a bit complicated to me. If you have mass concentrated in the nose and tail regions I can understand that the inertia is different from concentrating the mass near the CG even as the total mass remains the same (that assumes that the CG is a kind of pivot point for changes in flight attitude). It strikes me that in a violent corner maneuver first the inertia must be overcome and then the momentum must be canceled to return to a given flight path.

Will the location of the mass (peripheral vs central concentration) make difference in way the model reacts to these changes in the flight path.

First, be careful in talking about inertia vs. moment of inertia.  Vs., for that matter, momentum..

When you start a plane rotating for a maneuver you need to overcome its rotational inertia to get it moving.  Then, when you want it to stop you need to overcome its rotational inertia again.  "Rotational inertia" and "moment of inertia" mean roughly the same thing here (they're different, but if you held a gun to my head I'm not sure I could say how -- they're just different).

Concentrating all the mass at exactly the center of the plane would leave you with something with no moment of inertia.  You may have trouble building this, though.

So you do what you can do to reduce rotational inertia (I don't -- I'm just trying to build airplanes that are lighter than bricks.  One thing at a time.).  This thread -- at least where I jumped in and made a comment -- was about whether one can gain a lower moment of inertia by placing the motor and battery apart.  The answer I came up with, using some pretty basic physics, is "no".

What I didn't answer was how to get the least moment of inertia on a plane that's already built, assuming that you are trying to achieve a particular center of gravity.  In that case I suspect that the best answer is to move heavy stuff (like the battery) around until everything balances.  The next answer, which probably misses the point, is to put lots of weight close to, but not on, the CG.  I suspect that's stupid -- I suspect you get much better results by putting the least balance weight as far from the CG as you can, because I suspect that the extra weight is worse than the small moment of inertia gain.
AMA 64232

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
a stunter built with 700 square inches,, that weighs 45 ounces would not necessarily be better than the same one built to 60 ounces,, in fact the 60 ounce one may actually perform better,,

Make sure you explain this theory to Bill Werwage when you see him.
AMA 12366

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
Ok, I'll throw my hat into the ring again on this one.

We've already determined that a reduced moment of inertia will create an aircraft that will react quickly in directional changes (in whichever axis you're calculating, don't forget there are three), it will also stop quicker, that is it will be damped quicker.

I know for years and years  every single glider guider on the planet was absolutely anal about wing tip weight, as little as possible! to keep the lateral moment of inertia down. For obvious reasons too, heavy wingtips won't signal lift nearly as well as  light ones.

I can't see why you wouldn't want to do that in the longitudinal axis on every stunter. Perhaps the more astute will tell me different.

Now lets do a quick loop on batteries, correct me if I'm wrong but Sparky is talking about 'spreading out the batteries' so he's really trying to take a point load (of a single heavy mass) and turn it into more of a uniformly distributed weight. Now my damaged brain knows that at 1G you can calculate the CG of a UDR and a point load, and for the same weight and distance on a moment they'll have the same effect. Now what happens at 2G or 3G?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
Ok, I'll throw my hat into the ring again on this one.

We've already determined that a reduced moment of inertia will create an aircraft that will react quickly in directional changes (in whichever axis you're calculating, don't forget there are three), it will also stop quicker, that is it will be damped quicker.

I know for years and years  every single glider guider on the planet was absolutely anal about wing tip weight, as little as possible! to keep the lateral moment of inertia down. For obvious reasons too, heavy wingtips won't signal lift nearly as well as  light ones.

I can't see why you wouldn't want to do that in the longitudinal axis on every stunter. Perhaps the more astute will tell me different.

Now lets do a quick loop on batteries, correct me if I'm wrong but Sparky is talking about 'spreading out the batteries' so he's really trying to take a point load (of a single heavy mass) and turn it into more of a uniformly distributed weight. Now my damaged brain knows that at 1G you can calculate the CG of a UDR and a point load, and for the same weight and distance on a moment they'll have the same effect. Now what happens at 2G or 3G?

I have no practical experience with spreading the battery over the wing (just thinking out loud) but now that I think about it, it would not be good either. I try to make the tips as light as possible. Dean explained it best. I can build them but I cant type a book explaining it. Just because you can fly any given airplane and win does not make you the best model airplane designer and model airplanes are different than real planes. Everyone talks about CG yet they leave out centrifugal force which a real plane does not have to deal with. This has to do with point of tether (bell crank location) I know some say it does not matter, try putting the bellcrank ahead of the CG and tell me what you get. That's another story but everything comes into play. I know Bill Netzaban says it does not matter in one breath and in the next it as long as its behind the CG. Well does it matter or not?  LOL

All my experience comes from test and tune not from a book.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:46:11 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 01:52:40 AM »

If there's anything to this, you'd think the European Stunt Champion, the World Stunt Champion, and the US Nats Stunt Champion would have devices in their airplanes to move the center of percussion aft when they're doing tight corners.

Edited because I don't know which way it would go.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:54:57 PM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
If there's anything to this, you'd think the European Stunt Champion, the World Stunt Champion, and the US Nats Stunt Champion would have devices in their airplanes to move the center of percussion aft when they're doing tight corners.

I suspect two things:

First, I suspect that the center of percussion is much farther back on a CL stunter (or "conventional" RC aerobatics plane) than the plane that Dean is talking about.

And second, I suspect that what's critical isn't that the center of percussion is further back, but that it's lined up with the CG (or, more likely, the aerodynamic neutral point).

But I don't know how to calculate the center of percussion, alas.
AMA 64232

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
That was a flap/elevator ratio joke.  You can change the point about which a stunter appears to turn by changing the flap/elevator ratio.  Igor's device changes the ratio with control deflection.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »
That was a flap/elevator ratio joke.  You can change the point about which a stunter appears to turn by changing the flap/elevator ratio.  Igor's device changes the ratio with control deflection.

Well, yes, but you reached a bit too far, I think.

You've got three things going on:  first, the center of percussion which is a mass distribution thing; second, the aerodynamic center about which the plane does rotate; and third, the aerodynamic center about which the plane would look best rotating around.

You can adjust the actual center of rotation to look better, but you'd like to put the center of percussion at that same spot.  However, once the plane is built with a certain mass distribution, the center of percussion is going to be largely fixed.

I still want to see the math for calculating the center of percussion.  I need to dig through my dynamics book and my physics books, see if it's in there.
AMA 64232

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »
I looked some on the Internet for center of percussion.  It seems to be presented as a point where a force has to act, given a mass distribution and a point you pick about which you want the body to rotate.  I think we're solving for the point about which the airplane rotates, given the aerodynamic forces and moments acting on it.   I guess you'd just draw a free body diagram.  It's different from the usual baseball bat example, because there's more than one force acting on the body as inputs, to wit the force on the tail and the lift and pitching moment on the wing.  A square corner is a pretty unsteady aerodynamic thing, I think, but you can get an idea of what the flap/elevator ratio effect is quasistatically by looking at lift and pitching moment data from something like XFoil.  Separating wing and flap lift looks like it gives a qualitative clue, but would give wrong numbers, because they aren't independent. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »
Hi Gang,
So this RC ship with the giant lump of aluminum in the nose represents the first time that center of percussion versus center of gravity has ever become apparent to me, and I'd like to think I'm fairly fussy about trimming.  Tim, it's the centroid of the moment of inertia. It is also the place that the plane "tries to turn around" as you try to start and stop the corner. Once the rotation rate is established, it matters not.

Sparky, barbell in any axis is bad. Spread the mass along the wingspan and you get tip-banging that cannot be fixed with changes in tip-weight.

Now many moons ago, Bobby hunt and I were working on a canard with the tank on the CG and the engine just barely forward of it. The half-A started and stopped corners incredibly well. For that reason alone, we keep revisiting the concept.

take care,
  Dean
Dean Pappas

Mike Griffin

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »
Allan

This probably does not address you question but here is how  Tom Morris does his electric Cavalier..  He says it flys great.

Mike

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Hi Gang,
So this RC ship with the giant lump of aluminum in the nose represents the first time that center of percussion versus center of gravity has ever become apparent to me, and I'd like to think I'm fairly fussy about trimming.  Tim, it's the centroid of the moment of inertia. It is also the place that the plane "tries to turn around" as you try to start and stop the corner. Once the rotation rate is established, it matters not.

Sparky, barbell in any axis is bad. Spread the mass along the wingspan and you get tip-banging that cannot be fixed with changes in tip-weight.

Now many moons ago, Bobby hunt and I were working on a canard with the tank on the CG and the engine just barely forward of it. The half-A started and stopped corners incredibly well. For that reason alone, we keep revisiting the concept.

take care,
  Dean

I have to admit as much as I'm a dolt when it comes to this stuff I do like having my brain twisted around it:D

Now here's a thought, by changing the elevator flap ratio are we effectively moving the net force application point to align with a point relative to the centre of percussion?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 11:46:55 PM »
Now here's a thought, by changing the elevator flap ratio are we effectively moving the net force application point to align with a point relative to the centre of percussion?

I think so.  The different net force and moment moves the center of percussion, if I have the definition correct.  More elevator relative to flap deflection moves the point about which the airplane rotates aft.  (Doesn't it?  I may be confusing this with something else.)  Now that I think about it more, danged if I know which way it moves.
The Jive Combat Team

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here