News:

• May 10, 2024, 01:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Cardinal ARF  (Read 3233 times)

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
Electric Cardinal ARF
« on: August 26, 2009, 06:10:59 AM »
Hi boys!

I "just happened" to buy an Brodak Cardinal ARF today  :) Electric propulsion? But ofcourse!  y1 Does anyone have pics of a Cardinal with electric motor? I need some ideas on how to mount the motor.

I have two motors on the shelf, one Turnigy 35-48 800kv 600W standard (gold) edition and one Turnigy SK 35-48 900kv 770W "pro edition". Which one? I would like to use the 800kv 600W motor. I also have a Phoenix 35 ESC can I use that or do you think I need the 45?

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Electric Cardinal ARF
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »
Andreas:
You are amassing a sizable electric fleet!

Either of the Turnigy motors you mentioned will do fine in the Cardinal. The "gold" motor should do great with a 11x5.5 or 12x6 prop and a 4S battery pack, probably a 2800 to 3200 mah will be needed.

The BEST profile mounting I have seen is Crist Rigotti's, check out the "570 Electric Profile" thread for some pictures.  Also search SH for "electric Cardinal" as quite a few people have built electric conversions.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:24:11 AM »
Dennis:

C/L has never been so much fun for me as it has been since I started with electrics  :) I have a lot of projects in the pipe right now:

E-Legacy (kit)
E-Vector (kit)
E-Banshee (kit)
E-Cardinal (ARF)
Nobler (ARF) Glow model (my last) that will be converted to E it it isnt to damaged by fuel.

The problem is that I doesn't have the time to build models from kits or plans with two small kids, work and army commitments so I will need to stick to ARFs for some time now. I have put the contruction of the Legacy and Banshee on hold until I get some more time.
I bought the Cardinal because I want a more modern model then my E-Nobler as I try to learn the pattern and it goes together fast. Cooling will probably not be a problem with a profile model  :)

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 03:34:35 PM »
Andreas,

I would use the Turnigy gold motor for the Cardinal.  The SK series do offer higher efficiency and power, but the gold motor is more than sufficient for a Cardinal.  I doubt you would notice a significant difference in the two head to head.  The 2800-3200 battery should be more than enough on 4S and use either an 11 x 5.5 or 12 x 6 Pusher.  I would also mount the motor and battery towards the inside of the circle to maximize cooling effect and also to hide all of your stuff from onlookers on the outside of the circle.  I would most certainly use Crist's method of motor & battery mounting and hang on.  I would expect a weight of mid 40 ounce range with this equipment.  The Pheonix 35 should be more than sufficient for the power level required to fly a cardinal.  I would also fly on 63' 0.015" lines eye to eye.  Set your lap times in the 5.1-5.3 range.  9400 rpm on the 11 x 5.5 and maybe 8800 for the 12 x 6 pusher.

Keep us informed!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:18:03 PM »
Andreas,

... I would also mount the motor and battery towards the inside of the circle to maximize cooling effect ...............

Keep us informed!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana

On my Twister, I originally mounted the battery on the inboard side (the motor is dead center) - After completely filling the tip weight box (and still needing more), and chasing a dutch roll on hard corners, I moved the battery to the outboard side, removed most of the tip weight and the plane flies much better, although I still have the dutch roll.  I would keep my options open on any plane, but remember that we also do not have a 10-12 oz. engine/muffler hanging on the outboard side (and doing the job of some of the tip weight) - so each design will need to be analyzed in advance.  For instance, I built the Twister with equal span panels which probably requires more tip weight than one built with a bit of asymmetry.  Keep your options open .... and accept that onlookers might just have to tolerate the sight of your battery. ~^
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:13:40 AM »
Hi all!

Thanks for your answers.

I cant put the motor and battery on the inside as it is a thick fuse doubler there and it will require a lot of cutting to mount the stuff on the inside. I will try to make a motor mount like Crists but I highly doubt that my motor mount will be as pretty as Crists  :-(
I'm a little worried that my motors 800kv is a bit too low 800 x 14 x 0.8 = 8960.

Keep your suggestions coming!

Hehe, my dealer just emailed me and asked if I want a fueltank to my model  ;D

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »
Mike made some nice points but also consider:

On my profile ECL's I have been trying to "pocket" the battery and install it from the inboard side.  The reason is I want the centrifugal forces to hold the battery in and the straps or rubber bands to only keep it from falling onto the ground when the bird is at rest.  To accomplish this on the Cardinal you have to cut through the cheek cowl AND the fuselage.  On a different bird (not a Cardinal) I used a rotary ZIP saw and kept the outermost ply doubler intact.  It would be easier to just jig saw through the entire fuselage, then reinstall some retainers on the o/b side of the fuse.  

The fuselage with doublers and the cheek is about 25mm thick,  the 4s2600 batteries I have been using arou roughly 35mm thick  Thus only 10mm of the battery is exposed.  HOWEVER as Mike points out, the battery weight IS offset to the inboard side.

BUT WAIT!  Check your wing.  The Cardinal use a cut-away wingtip on the i/b side, and a solid tip on the o/b side.  This results in a pretty sizable o/b weight bias.  For example, on the IC powered Cardinal I assembled a couple years ago, the model had EXCESS o/b tip bias with NO tip weight installed.  The point is that (Mikes cautions not-withstanding)  having the battery offset to the i/b side is not necessarily a bad thing!

(edited to fix the biggest spelling blunders...)   HB~>
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:25:57 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 08:58:39 AM »
Andreas,
 Look in my SV11 thread for a picture or two and in the "list your setup." I have over 100 flights on mine and its worked out very well. I can take more pictures if you need them. My mount is home made. with aluminum angle iron from Home Depot. Simple and it works. With your abilities you should easily be able to improve on mine.
William
AMA 98010

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »
This site is wonderful, just ask and people chime in to help  :) Now, if only the rest of the world would work in the same way.....

The battery "pocket" seems like a nice idea, i might use that!

Will: Thanks for the pointing to your Cardinal pictures. I would really like a dual support motor mount like Crists, but if your mount have lasted over 100 flights I will probably do something similar as it is much simpler to make with ordinary hand tools.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 03:50:17 AM »
Hi guys!

I have started with the assembly of the motor part of my Cardinal. I made a motor mount that is similiar to William's, The difference is that the plate the motor mounts to is made of a piece of 8 layer aviation grade plywood 5 mm thick. I use two sturdy aluminum angles that is used to mount the motorplate to the airframe. The unit feels very solid.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
Andreas:
Sounds like you are off to a great start.  Are you going to be able to center the motor on the built-on nose ring or are you going to cut that off?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »
Dennis:
I was able to center it pretty good on the nose ring. The whole thing actually turned out much better than I expected. So, yes I'm off to a great start.

Do you think I can use self tapping screws (diameter similar to a 4-40, length is 1/2 and I would use 4 of them.) to bolt the motor mount to the engine bearers?

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:12:22 PM »
I have never done it on a motor that size but it probably will work if:

* Make sure the self tapper sticks all the way throu thg mount and doubler, it must be at least 1/2 " and preferably 5/8" sticcking through.

* "Toughen" the mounting holes with thin CA.  I'd think that wold be a very strong mounting system.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
Dennis:
Ok, I give it a try, if self tapping screws doesnt work I just drill for a normal 4-40 or M3 bolt.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »
Some pics:
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »
Now THAT is a good looking installation!  Nice job on the mounting, and it looks like you had done only a minimum tear-up of the stock fuselage.Looking good Andreas!  H^^  CLP** BW@
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »
Hi Andreas,
 I like the way you did your installation. My motor centered up pretty well also. Instead of self tapping screws I used 4-40 threaded inserts for the rear screws and just matched up the 3mm holes for the front and used the stock inserts and screws. I  considered drilling it through and using blind nut that would have been placed under the cheek but decided the work wasn't necessary with the little vibration and no fuel to mess things up. Your mount looks thicker than mine but make sure it doesn't flex. That why I put the front pieces on mine. With over 100 flights on mine I've never had any problems. I did change the leadouts on mine after about flight 80. That was after I had a failure on another ARF and wanted to be safe. After inspection I can tell you that these leadouts would have failed in the not too distant future. Keep in mind that my Cardinal was from the first run. I have heard that the later runs were supposed to be improved.
AMA 98010

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 12:46:22 AM »
Dennis: Thanks  ;D

Will: It did flex a little so now I have also used epoxy to glue the mount to the airframe and used self tapping screws. I can get the motor out without removing the motor mount. Could you give me some more details on your battery mount? I have decided that I want a simple without any excessive cutting in the airframe.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 02:59:27 AM »
Andreas,
My battery mount is just 2 pieces of 1/16 music wire bent into a right angled U and pushed through the fuse from the back. You can see it in the SV11 thread. The ends are bent into hooks after it is pushed through then I put some plastic tube over it cover the sharp edges. I can take more pictures when I get home later today if you need me too.
William
AMA 98010

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
Will,
Thanks, I think I do the battery mount your way, I'll see if I can adopt it to use Velcro instead of rubberbands as I prefer Velcro.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
That should work fine. I used the wire and rubberbands cause that's what I had on hand the day I did this. I was just looking for something light,effective, and simple.
By the way, I couldn't open your pictures earlier today, It looks like you have room in front of your motor mount to put another small L bracket. That would eliminate any wiggling you have at all in the motor.
AMA 98010

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
I went through my photos and found 4 that may be able to help you out.
William
AMA 98010

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »
Will,

Yes, I could probably make two L brackets but it will be tight. I solved it in another way, as my motor mount is glued to the airframe I simply did a small support between the lower/most inward part of the motor plate and the bottom of the engine cut out. That cured the last wiggle.

Thanks for the photos, I cant see the 1/16 music wire on the inside part of your Cardinal, is it hidden under the covering?

What did you use to glue your wing? Epoxy, CA, White glue, etc...?

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
The 1/16 music wire is under the covering. If I remember right my wing was put in with 30 minute epoxy. It wasn't a great fit, I stuffed some carbonfiber matt in the gaps to take up space. This was originally set up for an ST46 so a perfect seal was more critical. It was flown about 10 times with the ST in it.
AMA 98010

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 11:08:11 AM »
Hi all

The Cardinal is soon to be finished  :D I have the propulsion system finished and I straightened out a (somewhat) banana shaped main wing today. This evening I will make a carbon pushrod and put a threaded coupler on the bellcrank pushrod. All pushrods will have ball links. I'm also waiting for some parts from Tower Hobbies and RTF lines from CL-Central.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 05:50:12 AM »
Hi guys!

I'm finding some time here and there to work on my E-Cardinal. This time I got a question regarding vertical CG. I have found a great way to mount my battery (Turnigy 4s 20C 3000mAh). I thought of laying the battery down on its wide side (opposite to Williams installation in the above pictures) and to mount it high so that the top of the battery follows the top outline of the fuselage, this would make a great installation with good space for the ESC and timer below the battery. However, I'm a bit worried that the vertical CG will be to high. Opinions please.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »
Hi Andreas,
Well check the vertical CG, it's not necessary to fly the plane, simply assemble everything else and hang by the leadouts. Use a level to assure that the wings hang vertically. Yes you could do a weight and balance calculation along the vertical axis, but unless you know the finished weights of all the pieces, you will still end up making adjustments to vertical CG with battery position. I suspect that a moderately high battery location will offset the landing gear mass.

That battery adjustability will eventually become commonplace just like adjustable leadouts did.

later,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 03:52:03 AM »
William: With the battery placement you use, have you been forced to use lead in the tail to get the CG correct?

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »
Hi Andreas,

I don't think you will have any problem mounting it over the wing in a straight line. Mine is like this and flys great (>250 flights). I do have a HD LG for the 56 oz TO wt. that is also 1" longer than stock with large wheels for the tall grass I fly in. Here is an old photo (still looks the same):

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=5823.0

BTW: The MM I use is a beautiful unit made by a very nice guy way up north. I don't know if he still makes them available? This is the cleanest way to mount our motors on a profile. But for people like me who are "metal challenged" your DIYS mount is excellent, I love it! :-)

Kas has a nice one for our profiles, but I have not been able to get one from him.

BTW: My battery mount worked out better than I thought it would. It could be made lighter, but I have been too lazy to change it. The screws go through the metal mounts into the Velcro along with CA. It makes battery changes very KIS and easy to do (remember, I'm very lazy ;-).

Keep your E fleet growing .... We need more semi scale E planes out there, maybe in a few decades when your kids are off to college etc., you will have more time to build one? ;-)

Regards,  H^^
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:33:28 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here