News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EFP (Electric Foam Plane)  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
EFP (Electric Foam Plane)
« on: August 07, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
This project start in January 2012 as an indoor control line plane.  This was before Tania was offering Igor's GeeBee to the public.  The plane is an outdoor 3-D R/C plane that I modified for C/L.  I ran into several big issues, one the flaps (formally ailerons) were just to large and presented to much drag.  The plane was really too heavy for indoors and finally the rake angle for the lead outs was too shallow.  I couldn't increase the rake angle because of the size of the flaps.  So after a couple of less than spectacular flight I shelved the project.  Later I got myself a GeeBee and proceeded with indoor flying.  A few days back I took a look at what I now call the EFP and decided that a few modifications I might be able to morph it into an outdoor slab wing foamie.

First I cut the flaps off and glued them to their respective wing, then I remove all the stick-on trim materials.  These stick-on decals were made of heavy Mylar and actually add a fair amount of weight to the plane plus the adhesive was not keeping them stuck down.  I also replaced the heavy wood pushrod with a lighter carbon fiber one.  Then a new lead out guide was placed on what was the flap allowing for a higher rake angle.  The Hubin FM-9 was replaced with a KR timer/governor a new prop and the rev's were set to 6400 RPM.

At this point my wife and I went to the part and put in a flight.  The first flight went well I did some basic inside and outside maneuvers.  I did the reverse wingover and it seemed OK.  I did conclude that a few more revs would help, so before the second flight I picked up the revs a hundred RPM and attempted the second flight.  This is where bad luck struck, the inboard wheel hub separated and turned the plane into the grass causing the prop to bury into the grass.  The KR timer detected the prop strike and shut everything down before any damage to the power system happened.  The nose took a bit of a beating but went  back together without a problem and a new set of wheels installed.  It now ready to continue testing, here are some picture of the plane and the portable runway that Larry Renger designed, we both have one.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: EFP (Electric Foam Plane)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
Nice, I've been think about buying a R/C foamy and doing something like this.  Please list your set up.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:49:13 PM »
Hi Duke
The power system is as follows:
KDA motor.  Honestly don't know the specs. on it.  I was doing some testing for Eric Rule at RSM and he gave me the motor.  I will try to find out was it is.
ESC is a Castle Creation 36amp Thunderbird non-governing ESC.
Timer:  KR timer/Governor.
Prop is a 10x4 slow fly electric prop.  It's a new release from Hobby King and they are stiffer than the APC Version
Battery is a 3 cell 1300mha from Hobby People, but any like battery should work fine.

The plane was given to me at the 2012 AMA convention to test out for C/L from the people at MyRCDesigns (http://www.myrcdesigns.com/) , but it is a very common design by a number of 3D RC kit companies.  It's made of Depron.
Hope this helps.
Andy

I went and measured the motor and it looks to be the KD A22-20L motor.  Below are the specs.

Kv (rpm/v) 1000
Weight (g) 85
Max Current (A) 25
Resistance (mh) 0
Max Voltage (V) 11
Power(W) 0
Shaft A (mm) -
Length B (mm) 39
Diameter C (mm) 28
Can Length D (mm) 23
Total Length E (mm) 54
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:10:38 PM by Andrew Borgogna »
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:07:33 AM »
I've build several of these light foamies over the last few years. Basically I think they are like a large 1/2A. 1-2 Years is all they seem to last (maybe I am too rough), The TBF in the picture did last 3 years. 

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:30:37 AM »
PS
Yes and twins are possible. All made from Dollar store foam board.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »
Very nice work John.  I think we are finding out what the R/C crowd discovered several years ago, foam and electric go together very nicely.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here