News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ECL Stunt Heaven may be here, G-Sensor Timer  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ECL Stunt Heaven may be here, G-Sensor Timer
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:16:51 AM »
Hi Gang,

We have talked a lot about the IDEAL ECL system, one that would INCREASE RPM when line tension decreases. The ideal would allow us to fly very slow in level flight, and on the down lines. This would save mAh and allow lighter batteries. This would also REALLY tic off our wet fellow flyers.  n~

It looks like Wolfgang has one that is working, AND it looks like it is for sale. I just ordered one. I will keep you posted on their availability, etc. The report below guesses the price will be approx. 50 Euros.

Press the "HIT" button in the report to see a short video of Wolfgang demoing his system:

http://www.clacro.de/Seite_timer.htm

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: ECL Stunt Heaven may be here, G-Sensor Timer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:34:20 AM »
I do not think it is good idea, I played with centrifugal accelerometer (mechanical, not that used by Wolfgang) and the only conclusion was, that it lowered power too late. Means it comes from sky down to groud too quick and it is the last I want in PA. If you fly with real 4-2-4 system, the engine gets more fuel already on top of sphere, while accelerometer gives still max power.

The only usefull settin was to limit power in wind when model gets speed, but we do not have this problem with well adjusted governor/prop combination.

And by the way, I do not see reason to fly slow down and quick overhead   n~

But let us know how it works, I am curiouse if you come to the same conclusion.  :##

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:46:17 AM »
I have been thinking a lot about what you would need to boost the power at just the right point and for just the right length of time. It is actually quite tricky. That's why I have been putting more effort into the "passive" approach which is going for the propeller which increases thrust fastest as airspeed drops. Of course this approach isn't the end-all either.

As I mentioned on some other thread, it really makes one appreciate the 50+ year old technology of a Fox35!

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:59:28 AM »
Rudy,

I am confused.  After watching the demo film,  what I saw was a device that varied RPM relative to attitude not acceleration.  This would be my preference.  Not line tension.  I think Igor is correct in that a line tension device will allow the plane to dive at high rate of speed. (Down side of Wingover has low normal line tension.)

Linheart

linheart

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »
Hi Guys,

Linheart,

Thanks for your comments. I always enjoy hearing from you. We all owe you a big Thank You for turning us on to the benefits of the APC-E 12x6 props, they have made a big improvement in our E power systems. My P-40 went from a good flyng ECL plane to a GREAT flying ECL plane after you told me about your prop! :-)

I thought the same as you did after seeing Wolfgang's video. Then, after reading the text again, I interpreted his hand movements as "accelerating" and "decelerating" the card to simulate different G loads. This change in G loads changed the RPM in the motor. (I could be wrong, it has happened before ;-) He is away on business for several days but I hope to get a clarification from him next week. I also hope to get some feedback from the test flights he, and others have done.

Igor,

You and Linheart have a good point about the possible speed up on the down maneuvers if they have lower line tension. This is opposite from the ideal. Gravity is bringing us down fast enough, we sure don't want to help by increasing our RPM! ;-)

I don't think we are looking for flying slow on the down line, just decreasing our RPM enough to compinsate for the normal acceleration from gravity. If we can keep the down lines at the same speed as our slower up lines, then the pattern should look more balanced, and give it a smoothness that will look more pleasing to the judges, and it will make the down lines a little less "stressful" for the pilot at the 5' alt. ;-)

Your right, our gov mode helps our ECL planes address these problems and almost solves them. I agree about not needing additional speed overhead, as long as we are in near perfect CLPA conditions with winds below 7K and little or no turbulence up high. IMHO: When the wind picks up, and/or there is turbulence up high from trees, etc. then extra speed is important overhead. In these conditions I just turn up my power on my JMP timer and this helps a lot. But it also increases my speed everywhere, which is not ideal.

Alan,

My guess is that you hit the nail on the head. All this "tweeking" to get the right speed and the right line tension at just the right time is very tricky, maybe even difficult? I like your passive idea. With our E systems we do have a lot of room to play with torque at changing speeds/loads. You, and others, have always said there is still a lot of ECL gains to be made in playing with props. Please keep us posted with your results.

I totally agree, the early wet engines 4/2 was a good idea, and when everything goes perfectly it worked very well. One of our goals in ECL is to match this 4/2, and maybe exceed it. (On a personal note: I am very hesitant to give any credit for anything to a criminal predator like D Fox.)

I THINK THIS QUEST IS WORTH THE EFORT:

If we stopped development where we are now, with our reliable, repeatable, turnkey, powerful, governor controlled systems, I would still be a very happy CLPA flyer! :-) I think we are = to or better than the best wet systems out there (especially when you consider the importance of reliability and repeatability).

BUT, IMHO: The quest for the holy grail of having the really smooth, even paced, slow motion, in almost any WX, performance like we have in IMAC and pattern RC flying may be worth some extra effort. To do this without a pilot throttle control is a real tech challenge. With people like you three, Dean, Wolfgang, Kim, Mike, Will, and many others working on it, I'm sure it will be solved. :-)

My ideal would be a plane flying slowly, 6+ sec laps, then pulls uphill with no problems, slow down lines, with full control (line tension) at all times, in any WX. I think we are getting closer with our ECL systems (and the wet piped systems). But the goal is still out there. 

OUTSIDE THE BOX?

This may be a little outside the box, but we may want to consider mounting a small E-Fan motor near the outside wingtip, perpendicular to the flight path. Using Wolfgangs G-Sensor system would allow us to send a variable amount of power to this Fan unit to maintain line tension without the speed up on the down line problem pointed out by Igor and Linheart. The new E-Fan units are getting very efficient and are relatively light. (we need tip wt anyway ;-).  I hope one of our dedicated experts out there tries this someday.

Thanks again for all your comments. It will be interesting to see how this new product performs in the real world.

Regards,  H^^
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:39:50 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 02:24:44 AM »
Rudy, may be I wrote it wrong, so an example will help I think:

Imagine, you fly level at perfect speed. Now you pull up to wingover. The ususal 4-2-4 system will immediatelly add power to the vertical flight close to groud (because stronger pull of prop will lean the mixture). This effect acts till the point when it feeels any sign of "enough" speed, because it is unstable, only small amount of "unloading" will make run richer and richer and so effect disapears quickly. Result is, that the effect already stops overhead, while that centrifugal sensor just got its strongest effect, look:

you fly level at perfect speed. Now you pull up to wingover. The centrifugal sensor "see" little lower line tension because model slows down so it adds power little bit. This effect acts more and more as the gravity acts more and more in direction of the sensore (translated to more human language the action is smallest close to ground when the disection is almost vertical, while acts most in poind when model does not change altitude too much on top). So now it is on top of the hemisphere and its effect acts far after that point and stops only when model is overspeeded so much, that excessive centrifugal force cancel the gravity effect. It means that vertical descending close to the groud is overspeeded from nature of the thing. This is exactly most problematic motor run I can imagine for PA. The biggest problem is, that it does not have self cacelling effect like 4-2-4.

Watch my simulation of 4-2-4 run, especially first loop, you will hear nice break in and break out at 10:00 and 2:00 and especially inersection of first vertical eight segment and fact that the strongest effect you can hear just before that intersection when model really needs lot of power, just little bit before point where model like to fall out from lines in strong wind, while the top of the upper loop is again withou too much power, because it is in the same altitude, it not needs so much power.

However that device has one positive effect, it is action in level flight agains and down the wind. It adds power against the wind, while 4-2-4 pulls down the wind. Question is, if we really need it, quoestion is if perfect model speed is constant to the gorund, or constant to the air, or something in between. I am not sure what is the proper answer. I think it will be somehere in between.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 03:29:48 AM »
Hi Igor,

Thanks for the excellent explanation. You did not write it wrong the first time, I understood what you meant, and I agree with your point. Trying to control line tension with just increases in RPM from a G-Sensor may not be the answer for our entire pattern.

I feel that with our present ECL systems in gov. mode we have all the power and line tension we need in everything but the very tops of the maneuvers (vert 8, HG, 4LC, OH8s) when their is turbulence and or high winds. This is where I feel we sometimes need help. Yes, with our gov systems we can always add RPM for these less than ideal conditions, but this adds speed throughout the entire pattern, in places that it is not needed, or wanted.

Your example does make it clear that we have to be very careful that our solution does not have serious side affects, and make matters worse in some of the maneuvers.

Your 4/2 break is a good way to address the problem. Like Alan said, it has worked for over 50 years. There must be a way we can duplicate (or even improve on?) this 4/2 performance? It looks like we will need some type of feed back loop incorporating a G-Sensor, Airspeed, attitude information, and ???? ..... Time will tell. :-)

You must be enjoying your excellent indoor CLPA during these winter months. I'm surprised you guys don't have more "Indoor CLPA" contests in the Northern hemisphere? ;-)

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 03:43:15 AM »
We will have one indoor contest here in februarry, you can come and borrow my model  VD~

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 04:13:34 AM »
Igor,

Now you tell me! I wish I would have known a year ago, we were in Italy for a month and I would have come over and taken you up on your kind offer. Maybe next year? Your great flying indoor CLPA planes may start a trend over on this side of the pond. I'm surprised that the Bob and Dean team don't fly one during their NE winters? We don't have a winter where I live, so we miss out on indoor flying, and we miss out on a building season. But it's not all bad, I'm going sailing this weekend, the forcast is for clear blue and sunny skies, 23C, and fair winds.

If you ever get over here in Southern California you are welcome to fly any one of my airplanes, CL or RC, or go sailing. :-)

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 04:25:04 AM »
I told to Bob when I met him in Spain, how easy will be to make world competition indoor ... it enough to come, to make a model evening before contest and then dismout all after that and go home ... no travel troubles with models anymore  LL~

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:06:02 AM »
Hi Gang,
Please humor me for just a second while I establish a sense of sober perspective ... then I will throw it out the window and engage in this fascinating discussion of the perfectly gilded lilly.

The existing setup: using a good quality, or fast response, RPM governor (with lots of "headroom" available for the sudden transient load increases at the beginnings of vertical climbs) will produce a World Championship if no other development occurs. We are already in excellent shape!

On the other hand, the urge to gold-plate this already lovely flower is irresistable VD~ VD~ VD~

I'm with Igor on a bunch of this, as usual.
0) A little added horsepower, that comes early enough, is worth more than a lot of power that comes after the airplane has already decellerated.
1) I still think that the most robust system will be a governor that has "tweaks" added to the RPM setpoint, based on some maneuver-dependant feedback.
2) Pure centrifics is too late. I thought that the discussion established that pretty well.
3) Pure fore-and-aft acceleration/decelleration provides an incomplete picture, but comes earlier.
4) Every time the handle is "quickly" moved away from neutral the drag due to G loading, and control deflection, is going to increase for a third of a second or so. This fast movement of the handle always comes earlier!
5) The governor RPM "error signal" is an excellent  #^ way to measure the airplane's need for additional power. (This is Igor's indoor setup)

So now I have a question. Does anybody know who makes the accelerometer used in the device that started this thread? It sounds like it could become a part of the solution. I love this stuff!

take care, friends,
    Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »
Hi Igor, and Dean,

Igor,
Sounds like a good idea. It looks about the same size as our RC 3D flat foam models. They are so inexpensive (Cost less than a cup of coffee in London! ;-) they would be disposable.  #^

Dean,
I think we are all in agreement that our present ECL systems are already a little piece of stunt heaven. :-) I am very content with my current ECL system  and somedays I feel like just stopping thinking about any changes or improvements and just keep flying as is! We do not NEED any improvement, but that does not mean we don't WANT it?  LL~

So, as you implied: "the  VD~ made me do it"!!!!  n~  We just can't seem to help ourselves. I think we all see that the potential for improvement is there with ECL, but with all things in aviation or the sea, once you are at that magic 98% of perfection, that last 2% takes a LOT (10x +) more effort to get it. It is our curse that, for us, that last 2% is where most of the fun lives!  y1

Please see my 1st post that started this thread for an ans. to your question RE: the G-Sensor. There is a link at the bottom that gives you Wolfgangs contact info. He is a very nice fellow who speaks/types perfect English. He will be back from his trip in a few days if you want to contact him.

Regards,  H^^
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:23:42 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »
By the way, my idea about trying to optimize on a prop isn't original---I am sure the guys that use a pipe (claimed to keep rpm pretty constant) are in more or less the same boat. I would be interested in seeing how a piped ship rpm varies throughout the flight. It would be pretty easy to setup an Eagletree system with an optical rpm sensor on the spinner. I actually have one (the sensor), but I don't run any piped ships.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
Hi Alan,
Speaking as one of the two co-inventors of the tuned pipe setup, I can tell you that it can be set up to run with a very pronounced break, and it can be set up where the prop pitch and pipe length force the engine to run at nearly constant RPM. I preferred the former, though the latter version is preferred by almost everybody else. Even the near constant RPM/longer pipe setup benefits from slightly higher RPM when the engine leans out, but any wet setup (including the pipe) sufferes from a momentary low-RPM bog-down. Electric reduces the duration time of this bog by a factor of ... oh, maybe many!See my point #0 in my posting above.

My only remaining Stunt engines, these days, are FP 40s for knock-around ships. Great idea for an experiment, though ;D

take care,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »
Dean,
I was waiting for your reply, since I was aware of the history of the pipe (you and Bob Hunt).
I am also aware most of these guys are running pretty big props, and often more than 2 blades, so I am guessing they have already traveled the same path I am now going down.

Also enjoy your Pattern column in Flying Models. Always enjoy the columns that teach me something. A lot of the FM columns do this (as well as the Model Aviation ones too).

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »
Hi Dean,

What Alan said!  y1

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 07:52:10 PM »
Being mostly a full-scale flyer, I've been itching to try using an airspeed sensor to control the power from my timer, since that it is how we fly full-scale planes through aerobatics. Any comments on how well this would or would not work? I think it could work well on the level, compensating for going into the wind and the increased drag by giving more power to keep up the airspeed. Loops also would have the power increased going up and decreased going down, as in full-scale airplanes without a constant-speed prop. But are there places in the pattern where we wouldn't want the airspeed to stay constant?

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 03:44:36 AM »
I used piped motor from LA 46 to PA 76 in THE SAME MODEL design - not the same piece, but the same dimmensions and all (my model called Max). I can say that whole range can be easily made flying well just mode of run was different. While LA 46 was piped by pipe for PA 50 from Randy with strong on and off 4-2-4, for 60 and 76 I use aluminium single baffle pipe and motor runs locked to constant rpm only slightly rich (no 4cycling). It did not show any difference in calm or low wind. I can say the LA was may be even little better for flying (finished 10th on WC 2002 in Sebnitz) while that bigger volume was superior in strong wind .. I feel the wind as an advantage with those bigger engines. I note that I fly even slower lap times with those heavier and stronger models.

And I can say EXACTLY same thing in electric. My 4-2-4 simulator gives better feeling in calm (especially indoor :-) ) while it fails in that point which I described already, it slows down in level flight against the wind. But what is very important, such and regulation allows to fly with far lower power. Now I work on my indoor to make it fly with 9x4 prop instead of 10x4. It still does not work the way I would like to have it, but now it saves aproximately 40% of battery.

So for now S?P my conclusion is - we need to fly partialy constant to ground and partialy to air ... it needs some ballance in between. If I have enough power, the constant rpm with little prop slippage is about OK (allows to act mass inertia to penetrate the wind), but smaller power will lead to smaller prop, larger slippage, more slowing down uphill and less slowing down in wind. So some device able to cancel slippage little bit will help ... means my 4-2-4 device works well in this point and it is very visible with indoor model flying in calm and having too little battery (because of its weight). However but I think the most important point of that device is fact that it is ADJUSTABLE ... means I can set or check my best ballance between "constant to ground" and "constant to air". 

I already started work on device "constant to groud" ... we will see what is better and if it needs some combination  #^ 

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »
Hi everybody!
Just to confirm what Igor says about the G-sensor. I have it on test on my Morane Epervier. Only 4 flights to now.The power increase comes a bit too late and remains too long, mainly during dives. At the moment with my settings, the level flight is too slow and acceleration comes abruptly, which leads to a "non soft" flying.
Wolfgang will come up with a modified sensor, I will test it as soon as I received it, and keep you all informed.
Take care, Thierry

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 10:57:44 PM »
Hi Thierry,

Thank you very much for your report. When I started this thread I was hoping that one of Wolfgang's test pilots would give us a report on their test flights. We appreciate your efforts on our behalf. 

We look forward to your updates in the future.

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 07:05:35 AM »
Hello Thierry,
May I make a suggestion? Have you tried the G-sensor with the axis tilted aft of purely axial?
I assume that the G-sensor was set to measure centripetal acceleration, but if angled aft it will count forward decelleration like a loss of line tension. I wouldn't be surprised if the angle turned out to be more than 45 degrees (mostly fore and aft accelleration). This could greatly reduce the lag.

Please keep us updated, this is terribly exciting!

best regards,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 07:21:15 AM »
Have you tried the G-sensor ... purely axial?

>:D that will do very similar things like my solution, I already thought of it, but I do not know how to handle prop disc inertia ... but it is worth a try ... it will need another settings (must be more sensitive)

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Exactly, Igor.
I don't expect it to be a solution as much as another valuable piece of data.
I still like your approach as it resonds to changes in load both in transient and at steady-state.
Maybe it would work well enough ???

Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here