News:

• May 10, 2024, 10:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motor load  (Read 840 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motor load
« on: April 24, 2009, 12:30:43 AM »
Can the weight or pitch of a prop load a electric motor to change the RPM ???    ~^  ???   S?P
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Motor load
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:21:57 AM »
Answering this question for me will be difficult but I will give it a shot.

the answer in a word is yes.

To give better insight, I will do my best.
Let us pretend that you are trying to accelerate your automobile and then decided to drag your foot on the ground while you do so. your automobile most likely will not be able to 'see' the added load being apposed to your action but you know that you are causing a hinderence against the accelleration.

This would be more noticeable if you were on a bicycle where the overall power is much less.

The way we power models anymore you will probably not notice the difference (like the foot and the car example) but the effect will be an increased load on the motor causing more heat and an increase in the amount of amp draw. This will show itself mostly in overall energy consumption more than anything.

As for the weight of the prop, this is most minimal however the prop pitch can make a larger difference.
On the other hand if you had just enough of everything to barely fly the model, you could introduce enough load that the RPMS would not be enough (due to the increased load on the system) to keep the airspeed below stall speed, thus no flying.

I mentioned system. This much is true. Sometimes you can over come a disadvantage by giving the motor more juice. Adding another cell can get you over the hump, provided the motor is not compromised by doing so.
Either way there will be increased power consumption from any increased load you impose on the system (battery ESC motor).

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:26:24 AM »
Can the weight or pitch of a prop load a electric motor to change the RPM ???    ~^  ???   S?P

Larry,
Could you be a bit more specific about the problem you seem to be having.

Weight shouldn't be an issue, except if you want to accelerate the prop from a low rpm to a higher rpm (it would take a little longer).

Pitch of course can affect the rpm, since it puts a bigger load on the prop than a lower pitch prop (at the same rpm).

If your rpm is sagging in the maneuvers (I am guessing here), then the problem could have be due to a couple of related causes.

#1 the kV of your motor is too low for your battery pack, and during the maneuvers, the battery voltage cannot supply enough amps to keep the rpm constant (I assume you are using a governor).
#2 your battery internal resistance (related to the "C" of the pack) is too high, and in maneuvers the battery voltage sags too much--or the batteries are past their prime and are on the way down.

Basically the solution to #1 is to go to a higher pitch prop--or even a larger diameter prop (which will need fewer rpm to keep up the speed) so the voltage range is ok. You could of course buy higher "C" batteries, or go to a 4s instead of a 3s for example, or buy a higher kV motor. I would opt for the cheaper solution first (new prop!).

Solution to #2 is to get new batteries. I would say this is a possible solution if the sagging is a new feature and everything worked well last year. To keep the batteries in good shape, you should store them at roughly 50% charge in the fridge over the winter.

Alan

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »
Alan there were no problem.   I was just wondering about some props are heaver than the APC I've been using, I know that more load req. more AMPs
I guess I was just thinking -(must be having to much time) !!!! LL~ LL~
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here