News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Early shutoff.  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Early shutoff.
« on: July 14, 2022, 12:17:26 PM »
I have a Brodak F2B Hornet 60 Amp E.S.C. and a FM Hornet Timer with a 5 cell 3000mAh battery. Doing the pattern it flew as far as the 3 inside loops at the top of the second loop the motor stopped. No slow down and speed up again like at the end of flight it just stopped and windmilled. That was the first flight of the day. I changed batteries and put in 3 more perfect flights. At home I checked the voltage on the suspect battery and it is 20.6 V from 21.1 fully charged, about normal for the flight time. I have a total of 80 flights with this set up with no problems until today. 
  Any thoughts??
P.S. a Brodak 35-something-something motor and an APC  12x6 prop.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Early shutoff.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 12:54:36 PM »
Check each cell voltage, and if possible, under load.  You could run the battery for 15 - 30 seconds and then check each cell voltage.  If you don't have a cell checker, have your charger to "monitor" and quickly put the battery on and look at cell voltage. 

I am not familiar with your specific system, so my approach is generic. 
Fred

Rick_Huff

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 01:21:34 PM »
Perry,
Check the connector on the suspect battery and make sure its a tight fit with the connector in the plane.  We had one recently quit in the overhead 8 and we found the connector was a little loose.  Connect the battery and wiggle it a bit.  If you hear the esc "beeps" repeating, then that's most likely the cause. 
Rick

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 01:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the replys.
 I tried to run the same battery and set up on the ground. It gave the beeps and spun the prop when I pushed the start button. At the set delay time the motor just kicked over one turn. Then about 10 seconds later it kicked again, then again. I put on another ESC and it worked like normal. I put on a new in the package F2B Hornet and it ran like normal on the ground. I think the first ESC is bad. I'll give it a go in the morning.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 02:55:18 PM »
Bad connections and solder joints can give intermittent problems.  Could be the ESC, ESC connections, or battery connections.  If an intermittently bad connection on the battery, you may find its again at an inopportune time.  Are the battery connectors and solder joints in good shape?
Fred

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 09:25:05 AM »
I got in 4 normal flights this morning without any problems. I ordered another ESC from Brodak. I'll check the connections on the bad one.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 10:47:47 AM »
Don't run your set up on the ground, it can fry your esc.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 12:46:59 PM »
Don't run your set up on the ground, it can fry your esc.

I've not had a problem in 15 - 30 second runs and the ESC doesn't get hot or show a recorded hot temperature.  I would not run it long, but you will see a bad cell start to drop voltage in a short run.  I prefer a discharger and use one at about 10 amps to check the batteries.  If I want to check connections, I use a short run on the plane.  I inherited some old but lightly used batteries and found the Deans connector got very hot quickly. Found a less than desirable solder joint under the shrink wrap easily fixed.
Fred

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 05:39:50 AM »
I cut the shrink wrap off the ESC and gave it a 5X inspection. I found some dirt or dark corrosion near one of the processor? solder connections. I scraped it off and removed the debris. I've put up several flights with the "bad" ESC and it works fine. That one will be a last resort.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here