News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Infinite Jest  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Chris_Burgess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
The Infinite Jest
« on: December 11, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »
So a while back I mentioned that I wanted to build a one-off design for ECL using the Mike Palko Silencer wing.  Well, I've done just that; it is not fully finished yet, but it is now to a point where I can confidently show a bit of it off.  A few notes on the Plane, The Silencer wing minus tips was 50" across and each of my tips is 2" so it has a 54" span, I don't have the area just yet. The planned power system is a Cobra 2826-10 970kv Brushless outrunner, a Cobra 45a speed controller, and a Turnigy Nano-Tech 4s 3300mAh Lipo.  The idea behind the aesthetics of the plane is that I wanted it to look similar to something like an Ares or Airon or Starlight, narrow fuselage, sleek lines, kind of a diversion from my perception of modern stunt ships.  It has tip Fins because I think they're cool, and my nose moment is Shortened by almost 2 inches.  The wing was built in a Bob Hunt Lost Foam fixture, as a side note, if you haven't tried this wing building method, much like I hadn't, it is by far the nicest way to build a wing I've ever used.  The battery will go Directly beneath the motor. So this is it so far, I hope to have it done by May before my wedding.  It wont be at Brodak's this year, because I wont be at Brodak's this year, but I hope to have it going Philly Fliers in July.  Anyway let me know what you think.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Infinite Jest
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:39:32 AM »
Hi Chris:

Wow! That's looking great! Thanks for the kudos on the Lost-Foam Wing Building System.

I'd love to be present when you fly this one for the first time; let me know when and where. I'm sure the Philly Flyers will all be in attendance too.  y1

Later - Bob

Offline James Strickland

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:12:16 AM »
Hi Chris,  you don't know me but, your new ship is looking great so far, the "tip fins" also help keep air ON the stab/ elev. as the plane travels through the air during flight, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much "turning authority" it has compared to ships you've flown without them before.  Keep after it, looks really good up to this point, wish I could be present for the first flights, but it would be a long way from Florida, LOL. Reguards, James

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:35:58 PM »
Great work Chris, twin fins are always stylish!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Chris_Burgess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »
Here it is finished (mostly) I still have a decal to print and place, but I'm handcuffed at the moment by the lethargy that I experience when it's time to purchase new ink cartridges.  The Infinite Jest is on the right and as a bonus on the left is my Pop's eVector. The Vector has a Turnigy 35-42 1000 motor, Turnigy 45a "Trust" ESC and the same Turnigy Nano tech 4s 3300 battery as the Jest. Enjoy!

Offline Chris_Burgess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »
The Infinite Jest made it's Maiden Flight today, she flew 3 times wings nice and level, lines tight and motor humming.  with a 10x6 it was flying 5.1 second laps on 62' lines at 80% throttle, I will probably shorten the lines to speed it up and pull the motor back some if I can manage I also will be trying a switch to an 11x5 so we'll see how all of those things work out over the next few weeks to months and hopefully it'll have a nice showing this summer!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here