News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: E Still Stuka finished  (Read 676 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
E Still Stuka finished
« on: August 15, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »
Guys,
Just finished reto my old Don Still Stuka to electric. This ship started life with a Fox 35 for the GSCB OTS II event back in 1993, it won the High Point award for placing the highest in the most events at the fall GSCB 93 event. Later, in around 2004 I put an OS 26FS in it and flew it till last year when I started in ECL. A few months ago I thought it would be great as an E ship.

It has a Turngy 35-42/1000 motor, TP 2100 4S1P battery, Phoenix 35 ESC, Ztron 3 timer, 3 bld MAS 9x5.5 (actually a 9x7 but measures a 5.5 pitch), 59' - 0.015" lines. All up weight with battery is 42oz. I flew it Saturday and first flight was with a Zinger 9x6 3bld, it was a slow at 6 sec plus, rpm was set for fixed rpm mode @ 8500 (actual measured 8650). Second flight I changed props to the MAS 9x7 3bld and the lap time came up to 5.3. I measured the static amps at 15.6 amps. I will adjust the rpm to around 8900 which should get the lap time to around 5.0 ish (wet it flew at around 5).

Best,                DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: E Still Stuka finished
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Guys,
Second picture of motor compartment of E Stuka.

Best,             DennisT

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 08:25:23 AM »
Dennis, 

After the four stroke, didn't you have a diesel in it?  This plane has had about every type of power in it and
still going strong.

RobertC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:04:42 AM »
Robert,

Yes, I did have a PAW 19 diesel in it, when it worked it was great, just like electric. Couldn't get anyone to hold it.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
Nice conversion.  You even opted for the top hatch - which is a lot tougher retrofit.  Did you strip & repaint just the nose?

What a great story this bird is, especially the diesel part!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
DennisA
The conversion was a interesting, since it was quite well flown getting a reliable mount was a concern. Since Robert C had the problems keeping mount in I decided to use the front mount with 3/16" lite ply mount with small wood screws through the existing plywood sides. It took a bit to get the old motor mounts out and clean the old paint off and oil soaked up. Thinner and talc and heat gun soaked up the oil and gave a good surface to glue to, but the screws made it solid. I also used a 3/16" balsa with 1/32" ply top plate for the battery mount.

I went for the top hatch because I don't like doing to much work at the field changing batteries. I did a lot of hollowing over the leading edge to get the clearance for the battery. One thing I did was angle the battery mount plate down to lower the front to lower the vertical CG by about 1/4". I also use a toggle switch for arming. The ESC, timer and arming switch are in the bottom cowl. I put the arming switch inside the bonnet cowl were the cylinder would be so it can be switched on from the rear opening of the cowl. Also added an air baffle that directs the incoming air from the front of the cowl up toward the motor. I added an air outlet at the back of the fuse so air flows through the fuse front over the motor and battery then out the end of the fuses exit. Seemed to work well on the test flights.

To hold the top cowl I used two 3/16" magnets with tabs that allow the magnet to fit into a hold with a tin plate on the bottom. For the bottom cowl I didn't trust the magnets and used to tabs in the front one on either side with 2-56 bolts and one magnet in the back with a positioning hole. I used Rustoleum primer and paint, which worked great here in FL as I was able to spray outside (in 80 + humidity) then because it is low odor I could bring it inside and it didn't fog or haze.

The best part was when all the parts fit after I did the repaint on the nose.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:16:10 AM by stuntguy13 »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 11:26:58 AM »
Guys,

Second flying session - adjusted rpm to 9000, amps with MAS 9x7 3 bld Pusher from package. ESC Phoenix 35 CC link 3.255, CL Governor - fixed rpm mode, spool custom 8, Governor gain 30, Head Speed change rate -8, 14.8 battery, rpm 9000, motor start med 59, motor timing 8, direct drive, forward, PwM Rate 16 Khz, Brake 100 (hard), Brake delay 0.2, Brake ramp Fast, Cut off - Lipo/normal

What worked - Lap time was 5.0 sec, CG location very good. 1/32" spinner clearance OK no rubbing on cowl. 

What needs work - cowl magnet hold down in front tab did not hold, seems there is to much clearance between the magnet and tin backing plate, will add a tin washer to reduce the clearance and get a bit more hold.
Also need to trim inside and outside turn response as it turns a little better inside - this could be because of the reverse rotation pusher.

All in all by next flying session it should be ready for Stunt War's.

Best,               DennisT

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
I would have held the PAW powered model for you!   ;)
AMA 59633

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:54:39 AM »
Guys,

Other things that worked for this conversation: top hatch for battery replacement - one 3/4" square of Velcro on the bottom of the battery around the middle and two Velcro straps hold the pack easy to swap packs; Flow though fuse cooling air - air comes in the front cowl and hits a baffle that directs it up toward the motor and electronics, I opened an exit hole at the rear of the fuse to allow full flow though, works fine, motor and batteries are just warm to the touch not hot; in cowl main switch - I use a two position toggle switch (from Home Depot, pre wired nice) between the battery and ESC for arming which I mounted on a 3/32" plywood former in the bonnet. In the Stuka because its open you can flick the switch on/off easily made for a clean fuse; Top block magnet hold downs - 3/16" diameter K&S magnets one in front one at rear - once I got the receiver plate close enough to the magnet it holds fine, as a retro fit it takes a bit to get it all to fit close; Front mount of motor with screws - I used a 3/16" lite ply front mount with 1/8" wood screws through the old plywood sides along with the top block and battery floor to stiffen the nose, no cracks or looseness so far after half a dozen flights.

Best,              DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: plane 

Advertise Here