News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: E Ringmaster as built by Tom's Building Service  (Read 1942 times)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
E Ringmaster as built by Tom's Building Service
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:30:58 AM »
I am one of the lucky ones that lives in the same state (Alabama) as Tom Morris.  Recently Ty made a round trip from Huntsville to Anniston to pick up some stuff from Tom. He brought back, for me, one of Tom's ARF E Ringmaster.  It was built, covered, and painted white.  All that was needed was some paint trim, decal, wheels, motor, Prop adapter, ESC, timer, and batteries.  Tom was also had in stock and provided the Cobra 2221/10 motor, prop adapter and two APC 9x6 EP props.

Tom built the battery compartment into the outboard wing and a compartment for the ESC on the inboard side of the fuselage.  He provided a round hole between the two for the battery leads to pass from the battery compartment to the ESC.   This required putting bullet connectors on the battery and ESC. I also had to build adapters to go between the batteries and battery charger.  To maintain correct battery polarization I placed the female contact on the + side and the male contact on the – side, (see pictures).   Tom’s battery hatch cover is also a work of art.  Curved to fit the wing profile.

Haven’t flown it yet but the original setup is as follows:
Motor,   Cobra 2221/10 KV 1500
Battery,  Hyperion 3S 1600 70C
ESC<  Trunigy Plush 30 amp
Timer, KR.  Initial RPMs set to 9500
Weight ready to launch is 25 oz.

I will post after the first test flight on how well she flies.   y1
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:01:58 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: E Ringmaster as built by Tom's Building Service
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
More photos:
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:29:33 AM »
Very nice. I am in progress on a Ringmaster and this is very elpful info. What prop did you use for the 9500 setting?
John

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 12:01:20 PM »
Very nice. I am in progress on a Ringmaster and this is very elpful info. What prop did you use for the 9500 setting?
John
Forgot to list them in the setup section:   APC 9x6 EP props.  This was recommended by Tom.  Also a Fox 35 turns a 9x6 at about 9K so it should be good power for a Ringmaster.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 12:12:41 PM »
Is that motor sitting on something fiberglass or just wood?
Motor is sitting on wood.  It is a piece of plywood that is epoxied and screwed to the motor rails.  However,  Tom supplied a printed motor mount that I could install if I wanted.  Tom will be using the printed mount in future Ringmaster builds.  See photo.
 H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »
One of the problems of having the battery in the wing with the leads passing through a hole is that it is a pain in the rear to get the leads through the hole.  Leads are short and they must be poked through the hole one at a time.  The one at a time thing is because the connectors are bigger than the wires.  Wires fit but the connectors won't go through the hole if side by side.  Another problem is I have big hands and they don't work well is tight places.  So my solution was to make an adapter that would stagger the  battery connectors, be long enough to go through the hole,  and allow my big fat hands to grab and pull the wires through.  The pictures tell the story.  Plug the adapter onto the battery leads.  Poke the loose end through the hole.  As it emerges out the other side grab and pull.  The battery leads are pulled through the hole, one at a time, and the adapter will unplug from the battery leads.   PROBLEM SOLVED!    y1     y1     y1    y1 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:45:02 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 04:22:17 PM »
Next problem is that it takes a Allen wrench to open the battery compartment.  Soultion:  epoxy a wheel collier over the head of a 4-40 Allen cap screw.  Scurf up the collier with a Drimel cut off wheel and you have a thumb screw.  I also super glued the washer to the hatch.  If I was really smart I would figure out how to make it a captive screw.  y1   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline djmachinist10

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 06:25:43 PM »
I have the same plane from Tom. I have the same set up as well. The plane required 2 oz. of lead on the nose to balance correctly. Did you add weight to the nose on your RM. with the added weight, mine weights 27 oz.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 01:09:20 PM »
I have the same plane from Tom. I have the same set up as well. The plane required 2 oz. of lead on the nose to balance correctly. Did you add weight to the nose on your RM. with the added weight, mine weights 27 oz.

Looks like I added 2-1/2 oz of lead in the noise to mine.  Mine went from 25 oz to 27-1/2 oz ready to launch.  By the way I have also added an adjustable line guide.  I only have about 4-5 flights on mine.   So far it flies great.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 10:46:09 PM »
Speaking of Tom,  He has had another heart attack and is scaling back.  I just received the following:

Pilots,

Just received the following from Tom Morris.

Tom writes:

Russell Honea from Tulsa, OK recently purchased my control line parts
business.

His website is okieair.com.  His email is russell@okieair.com.  His phone
number is 918-508-9200.

He can supply all the items I offered for the past 25 years, handles,
control lines, control systems, contest balsa, and all the hardware needed
to build a first class stunt ship.

I will continue to build contest ready stunt ships for customers as long as
my heart keeps beating.

Tom Morris

256-820-1983 CST