News:

• May 05, 2024, 11:28:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: E-Panther  (Read 1951 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
E-Panther
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »
Hi to all. Just joined the forum and am in the process of building my first Ukie since (roughly) 1965. I had some plans for both of the Panthers (KenHi and Midwest) and chose to build the Midwest version.  It's now about 80% complete. Has an E-flite 800 W motor, Castle Phoenix ESC, 4S2P 2250 mAh LiPo and Zagras timer. I just finished covering the wings and stab this evening (Wed, May 13).  Wish me luck for the first half lap -- cobwebs in the slipstream!!

John

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: E-Panther
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:00:58 AM »
I see this was your first post, WELCOME to Stunt Hanger welcome back to control line & welcome to ECL.

It sounds like you have a pretty good set-up there, hope you can post some pictures.   Which E-FLite motor is that?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »
OK, Here are some shots of the current state (no pun intended).

Thanks for the kind words, I'm already in debt to many who have helped out. Nice folks.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »
Forgot to answer your question. The motor is an E-Flite 46, 670 kV, 40 A continuous.  The whole ship weighs 2.8 lbs, but will probably gain another few ounces when finished.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »
Lookin GOOD John!  Nice job around the front end and air intake!  Worth a couple more smiley-cons (or whatever they're called)  CLP** BW@ HH%%

I do not know if you are looking for one, but there is a gentleman named Bill Sawyer who makes duplicates of the Midwest Panther canopy.  You can find him in the vendor section - Windancer Models.

I think the E-flite 46 is going to be really strong and so it will run very cool - but the beauty of electrics is that ALL the motors run pretty much the same way - as long as they are not undersized.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »
John,

Looks really great!!! I am wondering if you are going to be a bit tail heavy with the battery that far back? Anyway, I bet you have that "potential" problem covered. (no pun intended)

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »
Actually it balances at the point indicated on the plans which is about 1/3 of the root chord back. It has a longish nose and the motor weighs abut 10 oz, so it took getting the battery back there to make the CG come out at the right spot. I have been thinking about adding a little temporary nose weight just to reduce the control sensitivity since it has been a long time since I've flown a UC.

Also, the front end of the battery is actually just at the CG point, so it's not as far back as it might seem from the pictures.

Thanks for the comments. Hope to have the covering done by the end of this weekend and maybe first flight the following weekend. I'm beginning to get a little antsy about that. My hope is that it is like riding a bike and there are still a few reflexes left to help the first time out. It is really not a trainer, so I'm concerned about over controlling and PIOs. I plan to keep a stiff wrist and elbow for the first bit for sure.
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:30:13 AM »
John Witt wrote: "My hope is that it is like riding a bike and there are still a few reflexes left to help the first time out. It is really not a trainer, so I'm concerned about over controlling and PIOs. I plan to keep a stiff wrist and elbow for the first bit for sure."

John, Set your timer for a reasonably short time!!! If you are not planning on any maneuvers (loops, lazy eights etc.) on your first flight after a long long layoff from C/L flying you may get dizzy!! (don't ask how I know this) The timers that I am using have about a 2 minute minimum and that can seem like a very long time!!!!

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »
... It has a longish nose and the motor weighs abut 10 oz, so ...

Hello John,
It strikes me that you have way more motor than you need. a 60-ounce Stunter will do fine on a motor that weighs 6 or 7 ounces.
classic 35-sized ships often are flown on 3-1/2 ounce motors, and yes weight roughly translates to power handling capacity.
Maybe that will help you knock down that 2.8 lb figure!

best regards,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:31:16 PM »
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure about how the motor ratings translated to glo-engine equivalents, and I thought I might move the motor eventually into a bigger/heavier pattern type ship. I plan to set it at 70-75% power and yes, just a couple of minutes duration for the first bit. Definitely no triangle 8s until at least the second flight  ;D.  You know the old hot rod adage about no substitute for cubic inches.  I was figuring the Panther would be about 4 lbs, so it's lighter than I thought. Not the way my stuff usually comes out.

My wife came into the man-cave where is build models and I was in the middle of the room turning around and around (5-sec/rev). I got the strange look, but she didn't say anything.

Thanks for the good info. I should have found this forum before buying any gear, but I don't think I'm in real bad trouble yet.

JW
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 02:48:15 PM »
John the 70-75% power may be to slow with 670kv I would rather trust my reflexes than risk 2 min. of running backwards.

Rob

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »
I have zero experience with this, so tell me what you think. I have a APC 11-5.5 prop, so at 13.5 V loaded, that should spin about 9000 rpm.  Does the ESC work by voltage or current limiting? I would expect it to limit the current by reducing the on-time of each phase to control the power output and reduce rpm. 70% would only be 6300 rpm, 75% would be 6750. 

Can you tell me what the approx no-slip speed would be for that prop pitch? How does the 9K RPM compare with a Fox 35 stunt swinging a 10-6 prop?

Lastly, would you point me to some info about the way the motor/controller combo works. I was thinking that the setup looked like permanent magnet, with a multi-phase circulating field.

JW
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:22:44 PM »
We'll be at the Arlington field Saturday morning.  One of the guys will have a new electric stunter there.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Alan Hahn

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »
I have zero experience with this, so tell me what you think. I have a APC 11-5.5 prop, so at 13.5 V loaded, that should spin about 9000 rpm.  Does the ESC work by voltage or current limiting? I would expect it to limit the current by reducing the on-time of each phase to control the power output and reduce rpm. 70% would only be 6300 rpm, 75% would be 6750. 

Can you tell me what the approx no-slip speed would be for that prop pitch? How does the 9K RPM compare with a Fox 35 stunt swinging a 10-6 prop?

Lastly, would you point me to some info about the way the motor/controller combo works. I was thinking that the setup looked like permanent magnet, with a multi-phase circulating field.

JW

Well to get you in the ballpark, my Nobler flies 5.0-5.1 sec laps (~63 foot center to center) with an APC12-6 Thin Eectric running at just less than 8000 rpm. As I recall, when I first flew the Nobler with the APC11-5.5, I was running over 9000 rpm. I am not familiar with the Panther, but others flying larger planes, (like the Brodak P40) are running the APC12-6 prop in the 9000 rpm range for acceptable times.

I also think your kV is too low for a 4s pack. Last year I ran the Nobler with a 730kV motor (Scorpion 3014--admittedly a lot smaller than yours), and I was running out of voltage at the end of the flight with a 4s2100 mAHr pack and the 12-6 prop. My guess is that you would need a prop at least as large as the APC 12-6, and probably larger.

The ESC tries to get the rpm by increasing the width of the current going into the motor. Roughly speaking, this is "sort of" equivalent to having a variable voltage battery (it would be equivalent if the rep rate was high compared to the motor inductance/resistance time constant).

We typically claim you should shoot for 75% of the kV*battery voltage, which should give you the extra power needed for the overhead maneuvers.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »
Howard,

Will you be out flying again on Sunday?  I have the things fixed that Paul pointed out, so could give it a 1st flight.

John Witt
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 12:59:39 AM »
Yes.  We'll be there in the morning.  I hope to see you then.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:37 AM »
Nice model, John. Good work, and welcome back to control line.

L.

"If called by a panther don't anther." -Ogden Nash
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here