News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:34:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cobra motor mounting question  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Cobra motor mounting question
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »
So, is there a way to front mount a Cobra motor? I don't see a way to switch the mount.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cobra motor mounting question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
I front mounted a Cobra in my Ringmaster.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »
Hi Randy:

All Cobra motors (at least all those that I've seen...) come setup already for front mounting. That's one of the reasons I like them and use a lot of them. Reversing the E-Flite motors is a bit of a crap shoot of late, as most of the time the set screws that hold the shaft are put in too tightly and are very difficult to break loose with the cheap Allen Wrenches they provide. 

I'm sending you a copy of the manual I've prepared that describes installing the Hardnose Front Mount in a full fuse model. If anyone else wants that manual, please send me an email and I'll forward it promptly.

Merry Christmas - Bob Hunt

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »
Hi Randy:

All Cobra motors (at least all those that I've seen...) come setup already for front mounting. That's one of the reasons I like them and use a lot of them. Reversing the E-Flite motors is a bit of a crap shoot of late, as most of the time the set screws that hold the shaft are put in too tightly and are very difficult to break loose with the cheap Allen Wrenches they provide.  

I'm sending you a copy of the manual I've prepared that describes installing the Hardnose Front Mount in a full fuse model. If anyone else wants that manual, please send me an email and I'll forward it promptly.

Merry Christmas - Bob Hunt

My pictures above are of the Bob Hunt Hard Mount ( the black looking part)   Shown below is the mount before I cut it down to fit my Ringmaster.  PS this is not a standard Ringmaster - it is the 576 sq inch version.  The wood parts came with the airplane electric conversion kit.  The inner circles were removed from the wood parts so that the motor and motor mounting screws are directly against the fiberglass hard mount.  I have many flights on this setup and have never had a screw come loose.

PSS Bob Hunt's stuff it the best way to front mount a motor.  It works!!!!  #^
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:54:35 AM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »
Bob,

So, the motor I have as a bolt-on style threaded prop adapter with 3 screws mounted to the housing and a fairly long shaft sticking out the other end (the mount end). So, I assume, you unbolt the prop adapter and use a collet style adapter on the mount end? Or rear mount it and use the provided adapter?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
Bob,

So, the motor I have as a bolt-on style threaded prop adapter with 3 screws mounted to the housing and a fairly long shaft sticking out the other end (the mount end). So, I assume, you unbolt the prop adapter and use a collet style adapter on the mount end? Or rear mount it and use the provided adapter?

Yes, use a collet prop adapter.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »
Bob,

The first thing I did was remove the stock prop adapter (3 screws) that goes on the case.  as that's where the optional fan goes on.  I find the Cobra 5mm collet style adapter is rather odd.. as it has no knurl on the prop adapter, and the shaft is hollow and is rather large in dia. The E-flite ones is not bad with 1/4-28 thread, which you could use some aluminum spinners adapters on it.  or the OS ones has a much longer shaft and its steel not aluminum, so its much stronger then the E-flite but it's heavy (.81oz with washer and nut).  but it has a fine metric threaded shaft. (pic below)

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
So, basically any prop adapter that will work on a 5mm shaft should be OK. Either the set screw type or the clamp type (ala E Flight).
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »
So, basically any prop adapter that will work on a 5mm shaft should be OK. Either the set screw type or the clamp type (ala E Flight).

yes.  but Iget the longer ones so they will work with a spinner.  Also I thik the collet type turn truer over the set screw type.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Shawn Lenci

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Crist,

I purchased all of the Hyperion HP-ADAP-50XL prop adaptors that RCdude and AlleRC had in stock last week which was a total of 9.  According to AlleRC, Hyperion is no longer in the motor or ESC business and will mainly be a battery and charger supplier in the future.  AlleRC told me there would be no more HP-ADAP-50XL available in the future.  I don't for sure if that is true or not but I believe they are the Hyperion importer for the US so I have to believe they know what they are talking about.  Yes these are nice adaptors because of their length and can be used easily with a spinner.  Just letting you know what I heard.

Shawn
AMA 97686

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
Crist,

I purchased all of the Hyperion HP-ADAP-50XL prop adaptors that RCdude and AlleRC had in stock last week which was a total of 9.  According to AlleRC, Hyperion is no longer in the motor or ESC business and will mainly be a battery and charger supplier in the future.  AlleRC told me there would be no more HP-ADAP-50XL available in the future.  I don't for sure if that is true or not but I believe they are the Hyperion importer for the US so I have to believe they know what they are talking about.  Yes these are nice adaptors because of their length and can be used easily with a spinner.  Just letting you know what I heard.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn.  I ordered and received 3 last week.  Probably why they are out of stock now.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here