News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:42:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: E-Flight Equipment  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Dean Pappas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
E-Flight Equipment
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:06:07 PM »
Hi All,
Let's post our grocery-list of necessary equipment, both in-air and ground support.
As always, there will be several ways of doing this, and more input is better.
We are doing this with an eye toward giving the E-newbie a look at the entire territory.
If you have cost estimates handy, put 'em here.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: E-Flight Equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:27:36 AM »
Hi All,
Let's post our grocery-list of necessary equipment, both in-air and ground support.
As always, there will be several ways of doing this, and more input is better.
We are doing this with an eye toward giving the E-newbie a look at the entire territory.
If you have cost estimates handy, put 'em here.

Dean

Dean,

Here is what I have been using in my Stock Brodak ARF P-40, and will use in my Vector 40:

AXI 2826/10  .................................................................... $98.00

Castle Creations Phoenix 45 ESC ............................................109.00

Contact:  Randy Smith @ Aero Products, He knows CL and Elec. :-)

Thunder Power  4S2P 4,200 mAh, 14.8V, Slim, Battery ............... 200.00

Charger, Multiplex HT9253, Very good unit ............................... 100.00
          The BEST is the Thunder Power 1010C @ $190

JMP Timer, excellent product .................................................. 30.00

Radio Shack 12 Volt 24 Amp Switching Power supply .................  85.00
      (This is a small, light weight unit with fan, but quiet)

Props: Please Read the excellent answers to my Prop question on this forum :-)

Please do not be shocked by the cost of electric flying. It is really not much more than a well equipped IC wet set up.

When we buy our batteries, we are just purchasing our "fuel" in advance. At approx. 350 flights per $200 battery, that comes to $0.57 per flight. The Power Master CL fuel I use is $19.00 per gallon. This comes out to about $0.148 per oz, or $0.67 per 4 1/2 oz flight. There are some variables in the above est. but over all they should be very close to our relative costs. ...... Of course, your milage may vary. ;-)

I have used most of the above Electric equipment for more than 3 years in Electric R/C flying. It all is perfect for CL. The Multiplex charger is an excellent charger, and is a great "bang for your buck". This is all we really need for our batteries. But, the Thunder Power charger is a jewel and combined with the Thunder Power Balancer and it's data link, it is perfect for our large CL batteries.

If someone wants to get into Elec. CL flying, all they need to do is buy the parts listed above, buy their favorite Brodak ARF (or build their own) and they can be flying Elec in a few days. NO special knowledge is required to just fly the stunt pattern with elec power for 95% of us. The above system is the one tested and used by Will Moore who writes the excellent Electric column in the PAMPA NL. Will wins contests in the Expert class with this system. Will is the one who recommended this set up to me, and helped me get it up and running. I think that Bob Hunt also uses a similar system. ..........  Kim uses a larger system, but his is still no more expensive than a good quality modern .70 size IC piped system.

Test equipment is a "nice to have" item, but with many others creating "turn key" systems for us, you don't really need test equipment. If you stick with a "tested" plane and system, a tach and temp gauge is enough for most flyers. :-)

Please remember, in Electric, we just buy our "fuel" in advance. The batteries cost less per flight than glow fuel. This is true for small and large CL planes. :-)

Thanks to Dean, Will, Kim, Ron, Mike, Linheart, and many others, it is schockingly easy to get quietly into Elec. CL flying. I hope many CL flyer's try it in 2007 :-)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:42:52 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Kim Doherty

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:08:44 AM »
My Equipment list: Here is the list of all equipment that was and is used on a daily basis in the operation of SHOCKWAVE.

What to buy and where:

Vendor: Icare   order over web at: www.icare-rc.com

Qty
1   Orbit 30-14 motor - $198.00
1           Orbit 30-12 motor - $198.00
1   Schulze 18.46K ESC - $193.00
2   Propeller collets - # MJ4705 5.0 mm shaft dia, M8 $5.75 ea.

Vendor: RCTOYS  order over web at: www.rctoys.com
QTY.

8   Thunder Power Pro-Lite 4200 5S2PB batteries - $229.95 ea.
2   Thunder Power TP-1010C Smart Charger - (will charge two 5S packs) - $199.95 ea.
2   Thunder Power TP-210V Smart Balancer - (will balance two 5Spacks) - $99.95 ea.
4   Thunder Power Balancer extensions - $3.99 ea.
1   DC Power supply for bench charging - three to choose from  - make your own from a computer PS like I did. ($75.00) - or - the Pro-Peak RipMax 13.8VDC 20A Power Supply AC to DC (RCTOYS) - $69.95 - or - the Iota 55amp PS   - $145.( see ebay)

Deans Noodle Wire - 6ft red 12ga, 6ft black 12ga - $12.00 ea.
Deans Ultra Plugs pair - six single pair packs - $3.55 pr.
Deans Ultra Plugs female - two 4-packs $5.95 pck
Bullet connectors - $12.95

Vendor: Esprit Models order over web at: www.espritmodel.com

1   Hyperion E-Meter - $89.00
1   IR Temperature Gun - $25.00
1           Onboard temp guage - $23.00
1           E-meter PC Serial Cable to USB Converter - $20.0

Vendor:Eagle Tree Systems - order over web at: www.eagletreesystems.com

MICROPOWER E-LOGGER & POWERPANEL - $69.99

Vendor: Ebay order at: www.ebay.com

1   Fluke 81438 multimeter - $85.99

Vendor: Kim's Custom Very Pricey Upscale Have I Got A Price For You Hobby Shop - Call 905 274 5087

Processor / timer board. (available late spring 2007)

total investment: approx $3600.00 U.S. - not including the plane
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:48:57 PM by Kim Doherty »

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 03:14:19 PM »
Dean and others,
I would like to know your opinion of the system that Rudy is using. Iam interested in getting  flying electric. My interest is in comparably .40 size ships. I cant transport (without removable wings and such) anything larger. This puts me in the 570 to 600 sqaure inch wing area range. For IC power, I would estimate 46 to 50 oz max. Is Rudys system being taxed by this size aircraft or is it comfortable, or is it just loafing? Thanks for the input.
Rucy... The plans will be coming your way soon,,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:21:02 PM »
Mark;

The setup Rudy is using would be perfect for you.  I'm using the AXI 2826/10 in a Cavalier 650
which weighs in at about 65 oz., has about 640 sq.in. and uses a modern airfoil.  I'm not quite using 3/4ths throttle to fly 5.0 to 5.3 sec laps on 66 ft lines eye to eye.  I'm swinging a 12/6 APC electric and it gives plenty of kick.
Use a 4000 mamp 4 cell li-pol battery and you will use about 2400mamps for the 6.5 minute flight.
It has plenty of power with head room for more.

Will Moore
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 12:12:53 AM »
No more expensive than a good piped 70 cu IC system.

But yes I think it is. Because someone who is serious enough to go with a piped 70 IC system is finished with the hardware cost.

So you have to be serious enough to plunk down $400 + for the power train Now if you are at least as serious as the IC guy with that hot Piped setup, you add to the cost all of the test equipment (that you don't need) and the last I saw a Fluke Digital multimeter with a DC current clamp and another couple hundred bucks, next is the notebook computer to program the motor controller, Heck on ebay you can get (if it is not doa) one for about 200 or 300 bucks. Now Ebay PC's rarely come with software installed, legally they should' not, anyway so add 80 bucks for windows XP and say other odds and ends cost you another 150.

By the time you are done with an electric set up that is as serious as that 70 piped carbon fiber prop set up you have spent roughly twice the money.

Other stuff the IC guy still needs to get are pretty much common to both with the single exception of liquid fuel.

When an entire elecric power train with the same performance as a OS LA arrives that costs no more than the same OS LA 40 on sale then and only then will electric CL be as attractive as IC CL.

Oh did I also mention that it would help if you had a degree in electrical or electronic engineering? Just to be as serious as that high quality piped 70 IC guy.

In the end some one who is running hand made billet high end 70 sized piped internal combustion engines is into control line in a very serious fashion. Unless they are independentally wealthy. From what was said here is the just the cost of a preconfigured entry level electric system costs as much or nearly as much as the 70 hand made billet piped motor.

Seems to me that, electric is still for serious experimenters or those for who the complexity and the high cost of entry is not a factor. Heck I see photos of entire tables full of stuff or lists a page long.

What hardware does the IC guy need? Engine, tank, fuel tube, filter. and ...........?????? every other thing the IC guy needs is pretty much common to both. Heck and I did not even get into the electrical cost of charging those big batteries, backups, computer controlled fast chargers etc. etc. etc.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
I both agree and disagree with Peter's comments.

Yes the cost is pretty high if you compare the entry cost to an LA25, or even the Brodak 25!!. Also I am not positive that the LiPo's will really last as long as the equivalent amount of fuel, and I don't have to take out a loan to finance my fuel purchases.

But I completely disagree about most of the other stuff. Electric is a lot simpler to understand than IC. Why, because most of us have no clue as to why the IC stuff is even working. We normally go with what the people who have been doing the tinkering and experimenting have empirically discovered. The only "difficulty" with electric is that the same number of us who don't understand why the IC works, also don't understand how to apply the vastly simpler electric fundamentals to calculating performance. And there are a lot fewer people around to spread the "what works" to we uninitiated folks. And what does work is a small sample of all the possibilities out there.

And calculating the cost of a computer with operating system is really over the top. Most of us typing on this forum are using pc's (although not Window's machines  #^ ), and furthermore, the pc is becoming as ubuquitous as the TV now. Finally you don't need the pc to program the ESC (at least not the Castle Creations Phoenix--that I can do on my RC transmitter--although a little painful!)

And I agree the main attraction to me at least is the newness and experimenting nature. I can actually calculate and measure what I am doing. I like to do that--that's what I do for a living anyhow.  This might help me understand what is going on in the IC cases.

Offline ray lloyd

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »
Hi Dean thank's for the contact, I spoke to Bob Hunt the other day and he recomended coming on this site and in particular talk to you. My equipment is Graupner 380 out runner 14volt. Jeti speed controler, the reciever simulator or timer is very basic it just cut's the motor at 6min 15 sec and also incorperates the on off button. the timer was built by a friend of mine here in the UK. The lipo's are 4 Kokam2000 m amp 7.4 volt 2 in series and 2 in parallel, the Lipo's weigh 4oz each, the motor 6oz and the odds and sods another 2oz, total 24oz. The model without the power pod is 30oz and 60 ins span so the model weight could not be improved------I think.
The prop i am using is an APC 11x5 ic. Having aquired a huge amount of experience over 50 plus years of flying f2b in would equate the power to be about the same as fitting an OS max 40 in this model.
The charger I use for the lipo's is a top of the range Schultz.

Regards Ray

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here