News:

• May 13, 2024, 11:44:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dumb Move  (Read 515 times)

Offline John Cralley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dumb Move
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »
OK. I had a great time flying my E Ringmasters last Saturday out a "Hobby Hideaway." When I got home I was pooped so I just left the planes in my car. I guess at my age I can plead "Senior Moment" but I forgot to unplug and remove my new 3S 2200 li-poly after the last flight. When I retrieved my planes Sunday I removed the battery. Fine BUT when I put the "new" battery on the charger today it blinked "Bad Battery" >:(!!! The battery showed zero volts and that was that. I had not realized that the ESC and timer (plus motor) would drain battery even with the timer in the stop mode.

I have always unplugged my batteries after any flight for safety but oops you also have to unplug for saving your battery!!!
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dumb Move
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:06:34 AM »
I have come close to doing the same thing. Usually due to someone asking me questions after the last flight of the day.

One thing I like about the new Castle Creations ESC firmware is that it will "buzz" you every 10-20 s if the throttle is off and the battery connected (so ESC is on). However for everyone who likes this there is apparently someone who hates it (look at the CC forum over on RCGroups!). However these are primarily RC soaring who really like their flying silent once they fold the prop!

Also since I have the arming plug, when I hear the buzz--usually carrying the plane back to the pits, I simply pull the plug and that pulls the power to the entire system. Then I can remove the spent battery at leisure (hopefully before the next flight!).

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here