News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dualsky esc  (Read 667 times)

Offline Rob Roberts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Dualsky esc
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »
Has anyone tried the Dualsky 40Amp esc? Low price & I think it has govenor mode.

Alan Hahn

Re: Dualsky esc
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:57:40 PM »
Quick answer is that I haven't. You might check the RCGroups Electric forum.

My only comment is to look at the thread by Dennis Adamisin on heating. The "cheaper" ESC's tend to be spec'd close to the edge. The problem is that the sensitivity of the ESC's is dependent on parameters that sometimes aren't completely transparent.

My main comment is to figure out what works well--not necessarily the best, or the cheapest (or the most expensive), but somewhere in-between, where the value lies. My own belief is that Castle Creations Phoenix is that middle ground--especially if you size it right (where the costs matter).

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
Thanks Alan. On another topic how did the scorpion motor work in the supper clown?

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »
Rob,
The jury is still out on the Super Clown. Just flew it today at lunch (I'm off on vacation this week), and for some reason I don't have a lot of line tension. I getting ready to do a test run in the back yard (one great thing about electrics!) just to see if the ESC is really running governor mode. Why I am puzzled is that I timed myself at a 4.7s lap, yet during my flight, I was just starting the clover at the 5 minute mark according to my "Talking Timer". My ENobler is flying 5s laps and is finishing the clover at this point. So the rpm is not staying (apparently) constant. Don't understand this--the batteries seem to be ok, taking less than 1600mAHr to fill up.
So I will put on a 9x7 prop (or close to approximate the flying load) and try a static run with my tach and Wattmeter just to make sure things are as what they are suppose to be! Last year it was pretty solid on just this combo, but with the Brodak motor.

Just did the test run and it seems to be ok. I was running about 175Watts (17-19A depending on battery voltage) for the entire ~5 min run (with a 9-6 prop), and that is similar to a "normal" flight. RPM stayed pretty constant at 8550rpm. Now I am really curious about what is going on. I did attach the ESC to the PC prior to this, but it looked like it was setup right. I did reload the parameters, but I didn't change anything. Guess I should put on the data recorder for the next flight and see what is going on. As a note, the Scorpion has a kV of 1250 rpm/V while the Brodak motor has a kV of 1500 rpm/V. Both are relatively higher in kV than I really wanted, but it is what I have. Need to look back at some of my old data to see if I understand what my old setup was. I guess this is the electric equivalent of having issues with the motor run!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:09:09 PM by Alan Hahn »

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »
Poor line tension from CG. change with scorpion motor?

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 07:29:01 AM »
Rob,
I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to weigh the Brodak and Scorpion motors to see what difference is there. I would guess that the Scorpion might be a bit heavier but not positive.

I did look at some old data and I'm still puzzled. Back when I had the Brodak motor mounted and was running in the 8500 rpm range with the same 10-7APC prop, I was flying 4.6 s laps. That is sort of consistent with my one lap time yesterday (measured right after takeoff). However at that lap speed I should have been done with the pattern a lot earlier than where I found myself yesterday (unless I didn't accurately count my level laps---that would really be strange!).

Looks like a stormy day today, so probably won't get a chance to fly. But will put my data recorder on the next flight to see what is going on.

Alan

Advertise Here
Tags: Electric Stunt 

Advertise Here