News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:42:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does E-stunt put a higher demand on bearings than RC?  (Read 963 times)

Offline Per Carlin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Does E-stunt put a higher demand on bearings than RC?
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
Hi

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if this question has been up before.

I have in the latest month finalized my Topflight Tutor Kit (an old kit) and returned to C/L after a break of about 15 years. I'm satisfied with the plane as it TOW are less than 900g(31,7oz.) and it tracks nice in the pattern.
But I have a minor headache:  I'm just back from the circle with broken ball-bearings on my second engine, and this after less than total of 15 flights.

The first engine was an cheep Turnigy 3536 from China, I had no expectations of quality to this one, it was a quick start to confirm the concept for me and to check what range of rpm/V I needed.
The second engine are a Hyperion ZS3009, to me known as a quality brand. But my bearings didn't stand 3 flights, a €50 engine should take more than that. I get really unpleasant strange sounds of vibration when I pull into the manoeuvres. And when I a grab the shaft is it an significant play in the bearings.

I always use balances props, i have not pushed the engine with high rpms or power.

Does E-stunt require better ball bearings than a common RC-plane or is it just bad luck?

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Does E-stunt put a higher demand on bearings than RC?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »
How is the motor mounted?  Front or rear?  What size prop are you using?  What RPM are you flying?  What is the rest of your set-up?  You shouldn't be going through bearings like that!  A picture sure would help.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 04:29:54 PM »
Hi,
Welcome to our forum. I think you will find lots of help here. We are all still learning ourselves and share our failures and successes and ideas. with each outher Please give more info but like Crist said you shouldn't be going through bearings like that I have close to 100 flights on my atlas motor between a banshee and a Arf cardinal at over 50oz for the Cardinal and I still have the original bearings. On the banshee it was rear mounted on the Cardinal its front mounted for the last 80+ flights. I think that most of us here tend to "oversize" our motors when we use them for CL. In looking up the specs on your Hyperon motor it is "right sized" for an RC plane that weighs the same as yours. The 3014 hyperion series would probably be the minimum that I would use on your plane. The 3020 would be my preferred. Exactly which ones would depend on your battery choice. I know others will chime in. I know Dennis A has experience with the Turnigy's. to make things easier for the others here is the link for the hyperion motor specs http://www.hyperion-world.com/products/product/HP-ZS3009-20. Good luck

AMA 98010

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »
Per:
I see that is your first post here so WELCOME to Stunt Hanger!

Your original question: I believe that ECL-F2B is much harder on motors & bearing than RC - just becuase of the more abrupt turning radii.  The failure mode I think I have heard the most of is a deflection that allows the magnets hit the windings - with subsequent failure.  I have not heard of anyone BREAKING bearings.  I also have not heard of anyone failing motors the way you have.

A few folks have been using Turnigy's but I am not aware of any failures yet.  BTW Turnigy has a "SK" series that features better bearings and in some cases larger shafts which in turn allow larger bearings.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Per Carlin

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 04:48:36 AM »
Hi folks

Thanks for your input. I will try to answer your questions about the plane and setup to make the picture clear.

The plane is a TopFlight Tutor which is a 45" plane, it is smaller than a regular .35-.40 plane and slightly bigger than a .25. My Aim for this was just to getting started and try out different combinations of motors, props and batteries. I also like to build as light as possible which explain my choices of motors.

The motors have been front mounted as this makes it easier to change motor without significant changes in position and C.G.

I have so far been doing some testing with different props  (9x4,5, 10x5, 11x5,5, 11x7 and 12x6) and it seams that a combination of pitch and rpm which gives a pitchspeed in the rage of 75-80km/h are good with my 17,5m lines (might be to long?)
Batteries are all 3s Lipol with 2000-2500mAh, they hold about 10-10,5V at a 25A load.
I have initially used an regular reciver with a transmitter on the ground, but the last weeks have a Will Hubin Timer which makes things easier.
The motors I have tested are:
- Turnigy C3536-1300rpm/V: I have run Turnigy for some years in RC and have never before had problem like this.
- Hyperion ZS 3003-1100 rpm/V, this motor are actually a little to low in the rpm/V number. I had to use high pitch props like the 11x7 to get this moving in the right speed.
The rpm has been in the range of 7500-9000 rpm and input power of 250W-280W, again 270W looks like a good number for this plane.

I can not see any problem to run out-runners at the weight of 100-125g with these numbers, I have RC-planes where I stress the motors significant more.
I guess I have to call out for warranty of the Hyperion (one week old) and figure out what to do next. I do have an Turnigy SK 3536-1450rpm/V with bigger bearings, this motor are in the high range of rpm/V, but a 12x4 might be a good choice? 12" are bigger than this plane was designed for, are there an upper limit of diameter or are bigger = better as in RC?

If I get things right are the next step to build a Brodak Vector .40 to build for next year.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:00:06 AM »
Hi Per:
That is a very nice clean & light looking Tutor you have great job!   CLP**  From the pictures it looks like the Turningy was mounted from the back, and the Hyperion was mounted at the front?  I personally believe that the front mounting SHOULD reduce bearing loads but again I have not seen hard data that proves or disproves this.

My recommendation I think your Tutor will fly best with the 10x5 prop.  The SK 35-36-1450 on 3S Lipo should be well suited to the task. I also think the 17.5m line length (about 57.4 ft.) is a good choice.

One area you will find some controversy in the Forum is about prop sizes.  I will recommend smaller props roughtly the same size as what would have been used on a IC engine bird.  This is based on experience showing that the larger props can actually overwhelm an airplane's ability to turn.  However a lot of folks are using much larger props successfully becasue the large disk will provide superior braking in the wind.  Indeed one of the best ECL  airplanes I had the pleasure to fly was Crist Rigotti's Old Time "Barnstormer" with (I think) 13x4 prop. (but I would STILL like to try it with a 10x5!)

You have already tried a broad range of props, did you notice any adverse effects with the larger props?  If not then the 12x4 would probably work well with the 1450 kV motor...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:58:24 AM »
Per,

Congrats on trying out EP CL stunt.  You are on the right track with your motor selection.  I have several Turnigy motors and haven't had the bearing trouble your having.  The SK series motors are significantly better than the standard gold series.  The gold series use a soft shaft that is a bit on the small side for the bearings.  The bearings themselves too aren't very good, but they hold up to normal use.  The SK series are solid and very well built motors.  I have a 35-42-1000 & 35-48-1100 SK and they both were used in a EP Q-500 @ over 13,000 rpm and have about 30-40 flights a piece on them.  They were both run at a constant 600-650 watts for 2.5 minutes at a time and both still look like new.  I have some turnigy in-runners that I have in a EDF running at over 50,000 rpm and after 200 flights, the bearings are shot.  But that is a bunch of time at that kind of running.

The 35-36-1450 SK with 3S 3000's and a 10 x 5 APC would be a great set-up for the Tutor.  Current may be high with the 12 x 4 prop, but as long as you are within the limits of the system before takeoff, give it a shot.

For the 10 x 5, I would launch @ around 10,400 to 10,600 rpm.  Shoot for a static current of 33-35 amps.  What type of controler are you using?  Does it have governing or heli mode?  This is very handy in EP CL stunt as it helps to balance the power in the flight and control speed in maneuvers.

As far as mounting, please read through the Resolve 570 thread that Crist Rigotti did.  His profile mount for his Scorpion motor is ideal for how out-runners need to be mounted to balance the bearing load.  Speaking of which, do you know which bearing failed?  I have flown stunters mounted the same as you and haven't had the same problems.

I look forward to hearing about your flights.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana 
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »
One comment I would make--from your picture, it appears that your prop adapter is mounted pretty far out on the motor shaft. That of course just increases the force that the prop can exert on the bearings. I would push the adapter (even shorten the shaft if necessary) to reduce that lever arm.

I haven't had any issues (so far) with my Scorpion motor mounted on my Nobler--using a firewall mount. The motor shaft on the Scorpion is 5mm diameter (as I recall),so it is pretty stiff. I don't think the Scorpion bearings are anything special---probably neither the worst or best you can find.

Kim Doherty

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
I think Alan hit the nail on the head. Your motor shaft is too long. You should shorten the shaft and mount the collet so it just clears the front of the motor.

When you cut the shaft take a piece of towelling and pierce the motor shaft through the center of the paper or cloth. Wrap the rest of the motor in the towel and then cut and deburr the shaft. Vacuuming any dust off the towel then unwrap it.

Better motors are better balanced, have better bearings and harder motor shafts.

Kim.

Offline Per Carlin

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:45:49 PM »
Thanx for alll your answers. I will make some changes and test again, i dont know if I have time this weekend. But I will report the success or disaster when I made some flights.

/Per

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here