Author Topic: Design  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Design
« on: June 29, 2021, 02:01:51 PM »
Hello,

I have watched the world of electric stunt evolve from a distance.  I am curious about the design aspect of an electric stunt plane.

Nose/tail moments?
Is the stab elevated or is inline better and why?
Is a typical, say  Geo Bolt wing, and good starting point or is the airfoil different, thinner?
Does your CG usually end up further forward than a glo setup?
And does the line rake end up further aft?

How is nose construction different from a typical beam mount system?

I have seen tons of this stuff from a far but now I think I am ready to come up with something.

What type of finish?

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Design
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 03:25:09 PM »
I'm flying an E power Predator that now weighs 68 oz (with 6S battery installed)  I ended up with 2.5 oz nose weight.  The construction is very similar to what Paul Walker was using several years ago.  I cannot speak to his current practices.
 My limited experience indicates:
•   IC Aerodynamics are fine, but I have not done experiments.
•   E-power CG wants to be way further forward than same IC airplane. 
•   E-power lead out exits want to be way aft. My LO exit center is 2 ¼ ” aft of the C.G.  I am not alone in this.
•   E-power control system friction must be near zero. The IC vibration breaks up the friction, thus IC can handle more friction.
•   I use similar nose construction as IC. 3/32 balsa fuse sides, 1/64 ply doublers, and molded top and bottom blocks. The fuel tank area has spruce rails (upper and lower) to accommodate battery mounts.
•   I use a balsa/plywood radial motor mount.  The motor is cantilevered (mounted on its rear surface).
•   I use same finishing methods as on IC.  Auto urethane clear over an all-dope substrate.  I like that it is impervious to everything.  Your E-power model will likely see glow exhaust in its lifetime.
•   I notice that my flying lines stay MUCH cleaner.  I now believe the schmutz we clean off lines between flights is almost completely due to glow exhaust residue.

One great benefit of E-power is the utter consistency of the motor run.  It allows one to better evaluate small trim changes without questioning if variation in the motor runs is playing a role.

Hope this is helpful
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 05:14:21 PM by Jim Hoffman »

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 05:46:34 PM »

....I have seen tons of this stuff from a far but now I think I am ready to come up with something.
The Emperor is watching with interest.....

As far as I can tell, there is nothing that IC does better than electric any more.  My advice would be to build from scratch, at least the fuselage.  The nose does not need to be anywhere near as strong as an IC and things don't vibrate apart either so the joints last longer.   Controls need to be drop down free which is why I suggest a new build.   Hunt has some really good nose designs.  Another thing you are going to like is being able to emulate the 4-2-4 with true consistency.   After my first year I stopped listening to the motor and concentrated totally on the plane.   However, what it won't do is restore your vision and reflexes to when you were 40. 

Ken 

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 05:49:23 PM »
Hi Doug,

You might want to read an article that I wrote entitled, "Turning to the Darkside - The Building of Circulas 46 IIe".  It about design, building and trimming my first electric profile. The article can be found and downloaded on the Flying Lines website at: http://flyinglines.org/nunes.circulas46lle.html

BTW, Circulas 46 IIe finished in the Top 5 in Advanced (4th place) at this years AMA Nationals.

Dennis

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 09:58:01 AM »
This is excellent information.

Thank you and keep it coming.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 12:05:01 PM »
In addition to all of the above, the electrics allow you to move the battery up/down and fore/aft to achieve static trim previously done with lead weights and other old-fashioned tricks like heavy spinners and light wheels.  The challenge is to design the nose section in such a way that it allows:
- Motor mounting that allows easy outboard offset adjustment;
- Easy battery re-positioning;
- Secure battery mounting (battery ejections have been reported by some);
- Fast and easy battery replacement to save time during practice;
- Provides for optimal airflow to cool all electrical components with minimal drag losses.

I've seen solutions that achieved some of these goals, but not sure about all.

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 07:49:01 AM »
What is the secret to the lines staying clean? I have 5 electric planes and every one dirties the lines as often as glow power. Another thing with the leadouts aft a lot there will be more drag from the slider in the wing tip. I set my leadouts and the c/g the same as my glow powered planes. I did try moving the leadouts aft and the plane wouldn't fly without stalling in corners when it didn't before.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 07:51:04 AM »
How about some pics of how the motor is mounted and the nose is constructed.  I searched but the search didnt show many much.  I know it has to be on here. If you have links or pics let me know.

Thank you
Doug
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 08:18:14 AM »
How about some pics of how the motor is mounted and the nose is constructed.  I searched but the search didnt show many much.  I know it has to be on here. If you have links or pics let me know.

Thank you
Doug
Doug,

Take a look at Crist Rigotti's build at: https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/2016-electric-stunter-build-log/. There is a ton of information to be gleaned.

Dennis

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »
Here are some shots of the firewall.  Again, I did not invent this, I learned from Paul Walker.
•   3/8” balsa core
•   1/32 ply on both external surfaces
•   15/32 dia hardwood dowels in the balsa at the 4 bolt locations
•   4-40 blind nuts.

The spruce rails use 2-56 blind nuts and fasteners.

BTW - The Crist Rigotti build referred to by Dennis is magnificent.  Kudos.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 11:18:49 AM »

Take a look at Crist Rigotti's build at: https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/2016-electric-stunter-build-log/. There is a ton of information to be gleaned.

Crist has several build threads and that is where I started.  The 2016 may be the latest.  He has great detail on electric full fuse and profiles, over a few years of a build/year prior to 2016.
Fred

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »
Here are some shots of the firewall.  Again, I did not invent this, I learned from Paul Walker.
•   3/8” balsa core
•   1/32 ply on both external surfaces
•   15/32 dia hardwood dowels in the balsa at the 4 bolt locations
•   4-40 blind nuts.

The spruce rails use 2-56 blind nuts and fasteners.

BTW - The Crist Rigotti build referred to by Dennis is magnificent.  Kudos.
I used this mount on my last one (Endgame).   Notice how much room there is behind the firewall.  It also puts the motor wires out of the way which is always a problem with a front mount and the best part is that you use a prop adapter instead of the always pain in the a** collett.

Nose strength comes from the battery tray screwed into the side rails.  It is like a former only horizontal instead of vertical.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:00:49 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 04:28:50 PM »
You are getting some good advice.

Same wing as acoustic works. Folks around here are using inline motor, wing, and stab. Some of the resultant aircraft look funny.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 10:32:18 AM »
Here is my two cents. They will probably twist everything you expect to hear but this is my logic. Talk to Richard Oliver, Joe Gilbert, Matt Colan, who flew my model and see what they says about it. Everything I have implemented in my model build is proven. Actually in the last trim it was even better than when they flew my plane. 

Nose/tail moments?
Whatever you use now for tail moments will work but for myself I found out that if I move the elevator back 1-1.5in you will be much better off.
Nose moments are about the same. The motors are lighter than the IC option but the batteries are heavier than the typical fuel tank so overall the weight distribution will migrate aft slightly.
Moment is mass timed distance from CG to center of mass. If you do the math you kind of break even. Keep the prop in the same position as you had it before and allow the battery to slide forward and back to finetune and change CG.

It seems that both will work but the in line my be harder to achieve. Some swear at them some swear by them. But the staggered  setup may be friendlier and I would argue that the tracking is better because the elevator is in clean air. The later one is my go to standard. By the way I have dihedral in my stab to push even further up in clean air.

Is a typical, say  Geo Bolt wing, and good starting point or is the airfoil different, thinner?
I have a clean airframe on my bird. 18% at root 16% at tip. I could have gone even thinner than that with no adverse effect. The idea is that the electric powerplant is easy to control and the motor will not surge or runaway. I like it because the model penetrates very well in the wind plus the power consumption will go down too.

Fly test and adjust. In IC configuration the CG migrates as the fuel is consumed, that is not the case in electric.

Just use 1/64 doublers and you are good. Maybe use another patch of 1/64 ply 1in wide where you mount the motor but other than that not needed. Allow air to flow around the electronic parts to keep them cool. I don't like rear mount because it stresses the motor more than a front mount and if that was not reason enough to front mount you have to add a prop adaptor which adds weight too.

Other things to consider are: A big motor means smaller battery smaller ESC better efficiency less wasted heat. Electric motors have lots of torque, are most efficient at 0 rpm and least efficient at max rpm. So therefore big diameter higher pitch than what you are used and lower rpm setup will benefit efficiency and corner (less gyro precession).  As Voltage goes high Amps go low heat goes low. 

For a 60 size I would consider 2B 12x6 12x7 13x6 13x7
https://innov8tivedesigns.com/badass-3520-560kv-brushless-motor.html on 6S or 
https://innov8tivedesigns.com/badass-3520-650kv-brushless-motor.html on 5S
https://innov8tivedesigns.com/badass-3520-790kv-brushless-motor.html on4S 

Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 02:04:10 PM »
Here is my two cents......I don't like rear mount because it stresses the motor more than a front mount and if that was not reason enough to front mount you have to add a prop adaptor which adds weight too.
More like 5cents but good none the less.  We only disagree on mounts.  The "through the firewall" from the rear is pretty stable.  As for the prop adaptor, they weigh less than a collett and don't come flying off when you least expect it.  The one point you made is something I didn't learn until I had been flying electric over a year.  Bigger Motors can use smaller batteries.  Enough so that I am going from a 6s to a 5s on both of the replacement ships I am or will be building.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »
What springs to mind with the use of electrons is the divorcing of the fuel cell from the powerplant, the ease of prop direction change, use of multis and their synchronised cut offs, no need for a muffler so side mounted ones that spoil looks are a thing of the past.
Pusher designs are easier, same as counter rotating.
Negatives, audio - nothing sounds as good as a 4/2 switch.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 07:40:45 AM »
Doug,
Here is what I have been doing.

Nose/tail moments?
11 to 11.5 nose depending on weight of tail. 18” tail moment
Not sure I run mine 1.5” above wing CL
Geo bolt wing is good starting point, my opinion I have use thinner and thicker but I ended up with a wing close to the GEO bolt wing.
I would say they end up more forward then IC
Seems too
I do not use any plywood. I make a battery and motor crutch.

I have seen tons of this stuff from a far but now I think I am ready to come up with something.

What type of finish?
I have been using all epoxy finish and the weight seems good and can finish a plane from bare wood to clear 6.5 oz or less.
Hope that helps,
Joe

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2021, 02:10:22 AM »
Here is some advice you WONT get.

Dont stress about moving to electric. Both Dave and Joe Gilbert had piped ships that performed AS WELL at the job of penetration and speed control.
Paul and Orestes were both electric and I would assert put in hundreds of hours of preparation.

Your "Doug Moon" approach was guided/mentored in principle by someone whom dominated the sport. You personally have evolved over the last 20 years to have a setup that is proven to be Nats Win quality.

My advice, dont feel your loosing ground to anyone if you decided over the next 10 years to build ONLY your "Moon" system IC ship.

There are only 3 things needed to win.

Well trimmed bird.

Lots of practice,

Reliable power.

Electric isnt "better" its just different. 
I see where your coming from. You dont want to be "left behind" or "Loosing ground to the field"

Trust me as someone with ZERO vested interest, what you have is more than enough to get up there again.
You have great experience with your systems, USE that expertise and just fly WAY more..  ( 200 flights a month ) will yeild more improvements than stressing over the questions your posed here.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2021, 01:10:43 PM »
This has all of us here talking about design.  This is a video I shot this morning of Mike Scott flying his newly acquired ship from Shuhrat Ishbutaev in Moscow.  It only has 20 flights on it so far.  It is amazing how well it tracks.  Just for reference, the air was dead as a doornail.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:47:03 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »
Hi Doug,
There is lots of good advise in the above posts.  But I keep thinking there is much to learn about design and procedures to wind up with a winner!  For example the longer tail moments are good advise, the chunk of lead in the nose (battery) is heavy and needs to be designed around to achieve the proper CG (what ever that is). Tail group size, past experiments has shown that 25% of the wing area (for flapped models) to as much as 28%.  Any more that that and it starts looking like a “Flying Flea” in my opinion.

Construction should employ the use of Carbon Fiber laminated between balsa and plywood to keep the weight reasonable limits.  Most of us don’t have access to mils and to CNC to build molds, so we depend on the old methods of balsa and plywood with some laminating a few parts with CF. 

Airfoils are a good place to start I think to improve performance on electric models.  The old 18 to 20 airfoils were great, but I’ve been using a thinner section (below 18%) and they seem to work just fine, not sure how low I can go yet, but time will tell, I’m hoping for as low as 15% section will work out maybe a little lower like 14% root, and the tip section of 15% with a flapped wing.  Lots of things to try that’s for sure.  But keep in mind all that we have learned over the years, about what did work, and what didn’t and make changes in areas where we can see and feel the improvements.  And yes, I have a few ideas about building fuselage with molded 1/16” balsa fuse sides with laminated CF.

Later,
Mikey
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:38:34 PM by MikeyPratt »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here