News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:46:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Design Change for the Pushy Galore model?  (Read 786 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Design Change for the Pushy Galore model?
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:59:59 AM »
I designed a biplane stunter with the engine in the rear. I'm thinkingwith the engine running the spent fuel will be "all over the place" because it will be pushed through the running prop?

So, I'm thinking of going electric with the design while I still can. The model is only part built so changes can take place easily.

Has anyone built a model with the IC engine in the rear as a pusher? This model is set up for a .46.

Was there an issue with spent fuel going through the prop?

I just feel it will be really messy.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:54:52 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline TDM

• Captain
Re: Design Chang for the Pusher model?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
Charles this is an interesting idea but I believe this kind of belongs in the stunt design forum rather than the electric.
I would put the design on a piece of paper or a napkin (all great ideas start on a napkin) and post it so we can get an idea as of the general looks of the model.

Engine behind the fuel tank is not a practical for stunt because of the 4-2-4 and the way it works. In this type of model with engine in rear tank in front if you put the nose up the fuel drops in to the motor and runs 4, and opposite for nose down (fuel runs from the motor and the motor leans and goes 2 in a dive). This is the same like saying motor slows when you climb and speeds up when you dive. Conclusion is that the only way to get good motor run is with electric and active timer. Also active timer and servo actuated throttle on and IC would also work.
Also with electric you can put the battery just about anywhere you want to have it be to balance the model so you open the door to about any type of wing stab setup you want to have (I am thinking forward sweep on both to facilitate pitch sensitivity).
And here is an idea make a 1/2A Electric model out of flat balsa and test whatever idea you think will work and once you zero on a good platform elaborate on a larger model. Get something to fly first then try a forward swept horizontal then a straight on the a swept back one and see which one works best. Then do same for the wing, sweep it back forward leave it straight and then play with combinations of both. Heck make a second wing and try the biplane idea while you are at it.

One of the things to consider is the elimination of the prop wash. This high velocity air from the prop that hits the horizontal stab at high velocity greatly increase the efficiency of the stab. Without it you need to make up for the loss in other ways (could get away with it but you have to push that CG back to the max to max the pitch sensitivity).

Good luck.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Design Chang for the Pusher model?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
Traian,

I believe you are correct, the Thread is in the wrong place.

I will move it.

We'll be talking,

Thanks

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here