News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:24:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please remove topic  (Read 2495 times)

mark romanowitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Please remove topic
« on: June 03, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:23:51 PM by mark romanowitz »

Rick_Huff

Re: Dean's Connectors vs XT-60?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:06:12 AM »
Mark,
I used them for a while.  I found then to be much harder to pull apart than the Dean's connectors. 

Rick

Offline Kevin Muckleroy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:07:58 AM »
I prefer XT60 or XT90 for anything that requires a wire over 14gauge.
Problems with Deans lately are the China knock-offs. Have had plenty of probs with cross fit to real Deans and terminals accepting a proper solder connection.

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
XT60 work better than Deans. They carry more current and are easier to solder up. I went to XT90 on my 60 size due to the supplied Deans connectors were warm to the touch when it came to disconnect them after a flight. The XT 90 are cool to the touch when the disconnect after a flight. Now I use the XT90 for the arming plug as well on the 60 size models. I have not seen anyone else use the XT90 connectors in control line use. I see many guys use the XT90 connectors at the RC field.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
The sparking on the Deans plugs is one of my biggest complaints. I have seen one actually break the positive prong at the tip from continuous sparks connecting the plugs. I am converting everything over to
XT 60 plugs. A side benefit is that the EC3 plug will fit into the XT60 perfectly.

Dennis

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
When i first started flying electric 8 years ago i liked at both types.  When I  first went in the military in 1965 I was an electronics technician.  I learned to solder electronic components correctly.  If you are a marginal soldered, the Deans connector is a challenge to obtain good solder joints.  The XT plugs are much easier to solder due to the socket type receptical as opposed to just a flat blade on the Deans connector.  That alone makes me think that the XT is a  better choice.  Connection wise they are about equal.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
Dean's take up less space and weight. There are two tricks when soldering Deans. (Hope the first isn't politically incorrect)
1)  To make them pull apart with ease: If soldering terminals to a male, insert a female  before applying heat.When soldering to female terminals, insert a male before applying heat.
2) Buy "EZ Soldering Couplers for Dean's Ultra Plugs "(# 2818) from Maxx Products. They make easy work of attaching up to 12 GA noodle wire to the Dean's terminals. They're gold plated and a marvel of ingenuity. Scuff the terminals and EZ connectors with crocus cloth, apply a good brand of flux to both, attach and sweat the solder. Don't pre-tin(something I religiously do, but not here). It's not necessary and it'll make the job tougher. Clean with an acid solder brush( I use lacquer thinner followed by a blast of CRC electronics cleaner) , apply heat shrink and you're good to go.

If you don't have a solder station, have your loved ones gift you one for Father's Day !

Offline Rogerio Fiorotti

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line by Fiorotti
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 02:20:43 PM »
Spicing up the subject!

After Mark posted the comment Dean vs. XT60 did a test that always wanted to do.

using Ohm's law R = U / I found the contact resistance of both connectors.

XT60 = 686 microOhms
Dean = 245 microOhms

Even XT having contact resistance almost three times higher in both the voltage drop is insignificant.

Rogerio

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 04:28:30 AM »
Spicing up the subject!

After Mark posted the comment Dean vs. XT60 did a test that always wanted to do.

XT60 = 686 microOhms
Dean = 245 microOhms

Even XT having contact resistance almost three times higher in both the voltage drop is insignificant.

Rogerio

Hello
Interesting results, but were all the connectors the same age with similar amounts of use before the test? Not all connectors seem to age the same and I recently swapped out most of my Krontronik connectors to XT60 as they aged poorly with resistance climbing rapidly due to oxidation of the silver coating. The XT60 style seems to loosen with age/usage , anybody notice this too?
Regards Gerald

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »
Spicing up the subject!

XT60 = 686 microOhms
Dean = 245 microOhms

Rogerio

Hi Rogerio,  This might not be the whole picture.. as you're measuring the resistance across two sets of contacts as a loop, not separate contact to contact. ( + to + and - to -)   so if the dielectric isolation between the two contact is poor, it would actually measure less resistance as well.  Its just a thought. 

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »
Measuring resistances that low can be tricky.  In the first place you can get thermocouple voltages between the various joints that can upset ohm meter readings.  However looking at the pictures using  a fixed amount of current and measuring the voltage drop is a valid way to measure very low resistance.  So it looks like the Dean's connector wins.  For what it worth silver plated connectors have a lower resistance then gold plated connectors.  Having said all that the voltage loss of the Dean's and the XT-60 are so small this is not the deciding factor.  I like the Dean's because they are shorter and fit better in tight places.   
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 11:32:18 AM »
Over roughly the last 20 years, I have gone through hundreds of the Deans Ultras and their clones. I started using XT-60s about three years ago. I’ll never go back to deans! The previous posters test was one set of each connector with unknown life. Not really a valid test in my opinion. I have had many Deans connectors come down hot after a flight. Have yet to have any XT-60s hot even on some of my larger helicopters.
I have also had a couple Deans short out when plugging in. I didn’t look over the male plug good and the thin tensioning blade had gotten bent a bit. When I plugged it in, the tension blade got bent the rest of the way such that it made contact with the edge of the other pole. This was my fault for not looking closely at what I was doing but I’m not the first guy it’s happened to either!

I do like that the Deans are a smaller package but I’ll stick with XT-60 till something better comes along.

Matt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here