News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:48:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DAVE GIERKE'S "I HAD A DREAM!"  (Read 928 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
DAVE GIERKE'S "I HAD A DREAM!"
« on: April 26, 2007, 11:17:42 AM »
At the 1969 Nats...Dave Gierke and I were talking about the possibilities of finding a light weight small sized powerful electric motor that could be.......................

POWERED BY JUST USING ONE SHEILDED LINE....and more importantly have a battery pac strong enough and powerful enough that the flyer could carry in in a fanny-butt-belly-groin pack (depending where you located the silly belt pack LL~)

The advantage in doing so was that the model would not have to be burdened by all that extra battery weight...plus even betta yet. One would not have to unscrew and install batteries in the model itself. Simply all one would have to do is strap yourself into the pack..n' plug into the control handle!!!!!!!!!!
From that point---------------Dave reminded us of the problem that he had experienced with his beautiful retracts in that All American Eagle with the shielded flying line at the 68 nats. But still....he and the rest of us...were upbeat to the real possiblities that major PA events would soon be not only WON WITH ELECTRICS BUT ALSO WOULD BECOME THE NORM...due to simply the noise factor alone as our world's populations grew and our flying fields would surely soon begin to disappear...due to urban expansion etc.
How profettical' was that????  I am totally amazed that it has taken so many years for these ideas to slowly become......reality?
CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN...TO PAUL WALKER WIN...AT PORTLAND WITH HIS NEW ELECTRIC POWERED IMPACT! WHAT AN IMPACT this year just may bring as folks are dragged, kicking and screaming into the dawning of a new age of the new GREEN REALITY!
Don Shultz

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: DAVE GIERKE'S "I HAD A DREAM!"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
Shultzie,
That was no a dream, Jack Sheeks and I were experimenting with electric controlline with power being supplied through the flying lines. 

See Bill Boss column in April 1985 Model Aviation.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:16:13 PM »
Hi Shultzie,
    Electric control line has been around since the 50's, maybe even earlier. I posted a link in one of the "should electric be allowed in OTS" threads. The Black Sheep Squadron has been flying electric control line since at least the mid 80's. They had entire contests at the Astro Champs for control line only. Stunt, scale and speed. This electric stuff is nothing new!! 

Mike

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:10:53 PM »
Ralph!
Thanks for sending me that article...I can't wait to read it
and Mike again...for your input.

I might have known that Jack Sheeks would get involved.....he was such an inventive R&D kind of modeler, Huh?

The only model that I ever saw fly with shield control lines was that beautiful  All American Eagle of Dave Gierke's.  He was having trouble at the time...from that shielding on the line as it was rubbin through and shorting out....plus those long lines really robbed the power curve as I remember?
I never did follow up with Dave on that concept of using batteries to power the engine...as you know Dave was just using the power to control the throttle, brakes and retracts?

Thanks for taking the time in scanning this stuff for me...WOW! WHAT AN INTERESTING ARTICLE.
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:58:47 AM »
Electric speed controls were around since the 40's. 2 speed u- HB~>really

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here