News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Data to Share  (Read 898 times)

Offline Ron King

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Data to Share
« on: October 18, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »
Here is an Eagle Tree graph of my Shocker Cardinal during a "normal" stunt flight. I have been flying this model since January, 2006 and now have about 200 flights on this system. It's become so routine, it's almost scary.

Set the model down, hook up the lines, plug in a battery, throw the switch, and walk to the center of the circle.

Anyway, the graph pretty much shows how the flight and system work. The maneuvers take about 450 watts to do with a 52 ounce, 580 square inch plane, but they are solid and I have my controller programmed to give me a constant 4.95 - 5.00 lap time the whole flight. The flight takes exactly 6:06.

Enjoy,

Ron

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Data to Share
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:08:16 AM »
Ron, is this by any chance a profile cardinal? is there a post that contains more about your setup? I ahve al cardinal that I am actually in process of contemplating conversion. Any problems you have solved will save me time and hassle. THanks in advance
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »
Mark,

Yes, this is my old faithful Shocker Cardinal (profile). It was written up in Stunt News early last year, but I'll post a couple of pictures here to help. These were taken in March, 2006. The main change is I no longer run a full spinner on this plane. I've opted for a 6mm prop nut from Tru-Turn.

Basic specs: Profile Cardinal airframe, AXI 2826/10, 4S2P 4200mah Li-po batteries, Castle Phoenix 45 amp ESC, and my own Gray Tiger control. My control is a microprocessor which controls both the throttle settings and the timer. It's programmed with my laptop and the only changes I've made are to lower the speed now that I can legally fly with 0.015 lines. (In 2006, we had to use .018).

Hope this helps,

Ron

PS - Guess I should mention the pictures are of two different planes. I built three, but converted one back to glow power.

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
Hi Ron,
Care to do an experiment for me as a favor?
Put a 12-6 E APC prop on the shocker, and dial the timer for your favorite lap time and tell me how it compares to the 3-blader.
The pulse to the ESC will be somewhere between 1250 and 1300 microseconds, which is 25 to 30% "throttle" from the timer.

until later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »
Ron, thanks tons, thats what I needed. A couple questions if you dont mind? do you recall what issue it was written up in? I have last years issues so I can find it but it would save me time to not have to search all my back issues. No really! I m not lazy, just busy, I promise ;)
is the nose on your shocker stock length?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 03:01:34 PM »
Mark,

You are in luck. I just happened to spot it in my pile of magazines. Stunt News, May/Jun 2006, page 91. I even explain how to do the mods to the Cardinal fuselage. The nose is stock length. I don't want to mess around with a proven design. The nose moment is just as important as the tail moment, IMHO.  BTW - I will be at Huntersville this weekend and will be happy to autograph your copy.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Dean,

I tried the 12x6 and the 11x5.5 APC last week. Those suckers almost screwed me into the ground with my current program. %^  I like the idea and will spend the winter off season re-programming my controller to take advantage of the lighter prop.

Thanks for the hint. I'm currently in the 1600 - 1700 microsecond area (70 percent) with the Eather 3 blade and knocking it down more will create some extra "Head room".

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 03:09:46 PM »
Ron, thanks for finding the article, (though it is probably on the mantle with all your trophies right?) I would be very willing to make it to Huntersville for the contest, in fact I will even serve as your private cheering section and stunt b**ch if you would simply send me the airline ticket so I can get there. Our contest season is over out here and almost our flying season for that matter. And just when I was on a roll too, heck now next year I will have lost all that momentum I gained in the last few months,, sigh,,
serious thanks again, have a great weekend, mine starts tomorrow, 4 tens doncha know,  y1 y1
iof you are using apc props, you may look at the 12.25 x 3.75, its a really happy world with one of those on my Gee Bee profile and a LA .46
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here