News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KR timer programming  (Read 2165 times)

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
KR timer programming
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
     I have one KR equipped airplane, a 92 Cardinal, E Flite 32, 5s3300 pack, budget ESC.  Works fine, good product.  The safety shutoff is a real good, user friendly feature.  What I'm not comfortable with is the 'count the blinks' timer setup.  So  a) How tough would it be to build a text based programming box where you can see the selection before you enter it, and b)  How many users would purchase such a gadget?  Comment, please....

Rick_Huff

Re: KR timer programming
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
I'd buy one,
Rick

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
That depends on how Kieth made his timer.  Howard Rush convinced me to make the TUT talk to a JetiBox, and I'm glad that he did.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
Tom,
My next Stunt News article is going to be on the KR timer. In preparation Keith Renecle and I exchanged a bunch of e-mails. What you are asking for may happen. I'm sure Keith will pop in here soon enough. I found the timer pretty easy to program as is , but I can see where some people may miscount the blinks.
William
AMA 98010

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
The biggest problem in programming the KR Governor is that a lot of folks forget that they have to first turn the governor on before they start changing the rpm, start delay, flight time or gain.

Now I am not suggesting that any of you guys above are not doing this. I know that I always have to say to myself "10 -20 -30- 40 -50 - 1 minute" when I set the flight time because I sometimes can not count the flashes properly. A few of my "friends" have suggested that if I had more fingers and toes this problem would go away but they have been breathing nitro and butyrate fumes for years so who listens to them anymore.(LOL)

I do not  know how many times I have received a telephone call where the fellow said that the program did not work properly. When I ask him to go through the steps he took invariably the first step of hitting the "S1" button once to turn on the program mode and waiting until the red light glows before doing anything else has not been done. When he starts the program mode first the new program always seems to work properly.

All of the stuff above is OK and good but let me confirm that both Keith and I appreciate people who take the time to suggest things that will improve and make using the KR Governor easier. I know from my discussion with Keith that one of the many things he is considering creating a box as was mentioned in one of the posts above. Both Keith and I want to make electric control line flight simple and inexpensive so any suggestion for improvement will be gratefully received  by either of us.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
Eric - Thanks for posting.  It really doesn't matter much when setting up the system at first.  That is always done in practice.  But just changing RPM to compensate for temperature changes as the day warms up is difficult, because if it is time for the second official, there is no test flight.  However badly I explained it, the thing that's really needed is to allow confirmation of an RPM change prior to a flight.  This might be done by a simple readout add on to the existing programming chip.  Or by a text based box.  Thanks for listening...  How soon can I send money?

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 03:32:27 PM »
Tom - Don't send money yet as Keith has not developed the product at this date.

While we wait for the "box" why not confirm the rpm with a tachometer? That's what I do cause it is simple and easy (I'm really simple and I have been told that I am easy - LOL)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »
Tom - Don't send money yet as Keith has not developed the product at this date.

While we wait for the "box" why not confirm the rpm with a tachometer? That's what I do cause it is simple and easy (I'm really simple and I have been told that I am easy - LOL)

I haven't plaid that much with my KR timer but as I remember it when setting RPM the motor starts up and runs and you hit the up or down button to change the rpm.  Then you check the RPMs with a tack.  This can all be done in a very short time.  One could use and old test flight battery so as to not use up any of the ready to go next flight battery.  I am on a budget and the KR has been great especially for the price!  The only problem  I have is loosing the program stick.  I finally learned to put it and the program instructions in the same pocket of my flight bag every time I use it.  If I wanted anything it would be quick reference program card to store with the program stick.  Or perhaps it could be attached to the stick.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:49:03 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »
Hmmmm - A vendor who posts: "Don't send money yet".   Quick, somebody call Diogenes and tell him the search is off.  Thanks again, Eric.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 12:05:35 AM »
Like Eric says, I really appreciate feedback and advice on my timer system. It has changed for the better through the last few years with feedback from users. I also like to use the KISS principle as much as possible and have considered a programming unit with a display. I could have one running soon. Thanks also to Tim Wescott for his help with explaining how to use the Jeti Box. I really appreciate it! The push buttons and single LED do work well enough, BUT to enter data with a text display is a lot better, especially when you are in a hurry..........like in competitions. Setting the rpm with a tach is not really a problem, but there are times when actually having to run the motor is not convenient or practical. My personal problem is in trying to concentrate long enough to count 30 flashes for the flight time. Half way through I sort of ....drift off somewhere!

When I started with this project, my board had one button and that was a nightmare with all of the functions I needed. I then added a 2nd button and it was better but also for setting everything, functions needed to be shared. O.K so a 3rd button was fitted and setting the rpm up and down was much easier, BUT the pc board became bigger and too cluttered, so I thought that most users will not be changing their settings a lot, so maybe the buttons don't need to be on the board, and that's where the idea of a separate programming stick came from. That has worked well and still does, but a nice-to-have for sure is a digital display unit, so I will have that to offer shortly. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Keith R
Keith R

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here