News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:04:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crazy Ivan - Irregular Boost/Brake on Igor Timer  (Read 1012 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Crazy Ivan - Irregular Boost/Brake on Igor Timer
« on: November 01, 2022, 12:40:23 PM »
Mike Scott asked me to put this out to our electric crowd.  It is an Igor Active timer on a Spin 66 std. ESC.  What causes this crazy boost/brake? It does it everywhere except in level flight.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PatwoMMgSfA

Ken (for Mike)
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Crazy Ivan - Irregular Boost/Brake on Igor Timer
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 08:28:18 PM »
I couldn't hear it well enough to know what's going on.  Could you describe the phenomenon?

If it boosts when it should brake and then seems to get "stuck" in boost, and brakes when it should boost and seems to get "stuck" in brake, then I'd bet money that the sensor is backwards.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 08:43:58 PM »
I couldn't hear it well enough to know what's going on.  Could you describe the phenomenon?

If it boosts when it should brake and then seems to get "stuck" in boost, and brakes when it should boost and seems to get "stuck" in brake, then I'd bet money that the sensor is backwards.

If you can turn the volume up it is clear.  I hate it when the "tube" puts a video into the "short" category with no controls.  Listen during the 8 and you can hear the boost/break going off 4-5 theme in each loop.  Mike has had a sensor come loose in the fuselage.  It acted differently.  Sort of random.  This has a pattern.

Ken
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 10:06:59 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 09:43:02 PM »
What are the settings of his timer?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 10:10:46 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 11:38:50 AM »
Mike replaced the timer and the problem went away.  I guess it got old. LL~

Probably never know the cause.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »
Mike replaced the timer and the problem went away.  I guess it got old. LL~

Probably never know the cause.

Ken

He replaced the accelerometer and timer.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 01:13:23 AM »
Mike has old type of timer (red sensor, yellow connector) and it has permanent cable. I think that cable is broken (it is really necessary to fix cable in fuselage so that it cannot move during flight). New timers has cable on connector, so it is easy to replace or test. I am in contact with him, so we will see what is problem.

However there are many reasons for such thing, so may be it will be good to collect them. In such case it is good to check from top down:

-defect timer - such erratic run can be caused by broken cable, especially if it is older type with fixed cable, forces in model can move cables and if cable has bad contact, it makes unwanted reactions
-improperly mounted sensor, moving during flight, it can do all sorts of erratic inputs, do not expect that if it was loose once, the next time it will act the same way
-loose cable to sensor, also well fixed sensor can "hear" mechanical movements of cable during fligt, the cable must be fixed also (that is second reason to fix that  in fuselage)
-too high sensitivity can cause erratic impulses
-trim problem causing ill movements of model during maneuvers
-problem in power train - for example defect motor winding, bearings etc making motor loose power, power connectors, arming plug etc.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here