News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:49:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crash proof motor mount  (Read 2088 times)

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Crash proof motor mount
« on: July 20, 2019, 11:47:20 AM »
this thread has a nice pic of a crash-resistant motor mount for a full-fuselage stunter.

Someone has mentioned using an aluminum bracket to mount a motor to a profile, but I just cannot find pictures.

Does anyone have pictures of how you mount your motors to your planes in a way that it'll survive crashes?  I'm mostly looking for mounting motors on profiles, and for pics from people who've actually crashed and had the motor survive.

Thanks!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline TDM

• Captain
Re: Crash proof motor mount
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:54:06 AM »
Tim most of the crashes we encounter are pancake like crashes. A Bob Hunt type motor mount should work perfect, so if you copy that mount in 1/8 aluminium in either 2024 6062 7075 or just laminate two of Bobs mounts plates should be pretty good for pancake crashes. You will end up with a broken prop and stuff like that. For a nose in crash you loose the whole plane anyways so I will not even bother building for that.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
Tim most of the crashes we encounter are pancake like crashes. ...

Nope.  This is for a beginner.  Crashes are going to be every which way, into dirt.  The planes are cheap and very repairable.  My experience with 'lectrics so far is that if you post-hole the plane the motor shaft gets all bent up; with slimers, if it's not into pavement or a rock then you just pull the engine out of the hole, clean it up, and it'll run just fine on the next plane. 

Someone here said something vague about mounting their motors on aluminum "L" brackets and surviving such treatment.  That's what I'm looking for.

At $30 to $60 a motor, I can't just blithely use one up every time the plane hits the dirt.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »
That’s an interesting problem. You need a mount that breaks sacrificially to save the motor, but which won’t have any bad resonances. How about glass: not glass-reinforced plastic, but actual glass.

You should also use a Combat TUT, so power gets cut immediately in a crash.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
That’s an interesting problem. You need a mount that breaks sacrificially to save the motor, but which won’t have any bad resonances. How about glass: not glass-reinforced plastic, but actual glass.

The horrible part of that statement is that it actually kinda makes sense.

You should also use a Combat TUT, so power gets cut immediately in a crash.

I would use a KR timer, or shamelessly copy Keith's method of cutting power when the motor undergoes an unscheduled deceleration.

And -- just insert my rant here about how there's no excuse for an ESC that can't sense motor current cycle-by-cycle and cut power appropriately.
AMA 64232

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 04:51:59 PM »
Does anyone have pictures of how you mount your motors to your planes in a way that it'll survive crashes?  I'm mostly looking for mounting motors on profiles, and for pics from people who've actually crashed and had the motor survive.

Happy to oblige.
Two versions have been tested: crash-prone beginner mount for smaller profile planes (0.10 - 0.15 glow equivalent, up to 30 oz, tested on Twister and similar) and an occasional crash mount for .40-.46 size planes (tested on profile Cardinal, 48 oz).

The first version is bent out of soft-ish 1 mm aluminum sheet using a bending brake from Harbor Freight.  My friend who is teaching his junior to fly used aluminum from an old discarded awning; similar material is used by roofers to make flashing. Pictures make it self-explanatory. The mount bends upon impact and absorbs crash energy.  I bend the inboard bracket to 95 degrees and the outboard bracket to 85 degrees,  which results in a 5 degree outboard engine thrust offset.  Really helps with line tension.  Don't want the offset?  Bend both brackets to 90 degrees.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:33:38 PM by Mike Alimov »

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 05:29:30 PM »
The next version is for larger motors and planes; it was tested in a 48-oz Brodak Cardinal ARF, running RimFire motor and a 11.5-6 APC.
This version is a front mount (better for motor bearings) and allows easy adjustment for outboard thrust by adding/removing washers under the mount flanges.

Step 1.
Obtain a 1" aluminum angle stock (1/16" wall thickness) from Lowes or Home Depot.  Draw a 1:1 sketch of the mount, based on the motor size, allowing about 1/16" clearance around the rotor, and about 1/4" bend radius (smaller radius might produce cracks during bending).
Step 2.  Mark the design on the stock, using a piece of wood for support.  Also mark and drill holes for motor shaft (typ. 5/16"), motor mounts and flange mounts (typ. 1/8").
Step 3.  Using hacksaw, band saw, Dremel tool, or a combination of those, remove material as shown on the picture.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
Isn't there a step 4 in there, to bend the "wings" back?

Thanks Mike -- this looks simple to do and maybe it'll do the job.  By "tested" I assume you've put it into the hands of a beginner who obliged you by crashing?
AMA 64232

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 05:45:09 PM »
...I'm on my 3rd attempt to post pictures 4 through 6.  They are 160 kb-180 kb each, but it tells me I exceeded 1000 kb limit...

OK..

Step 4.  Bend the motor mount to the desired radius using some guide. I used a 1/8" wall stock angle filed to the desired radius.

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 05:47:16 PM »
Step 5.  Attach motor to the mount.  Using Robart incidence meter, set 0 degrees of up/down thrust, mark and drill flange mount holes in the fuselage.  Attach mount to the fuselage using 4-40 screws and nylon insert nuts.  You can add washers for outboard thrust.

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
...and this is what happens after the crash. The mount absorbs crash energy (flying over grass is still highly recommended), and saves the motor and plane.  Tested by my 13-yr old a number of times last September.  That was then.... Now he puts in 500-point patterns.

I don't have pictures of the Beginner mount after impact, but it was tested dozens of times, and works as intended.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 06:31:44 PM »
Mike, this is really cool.  My wife is learning to fly (although she's busy getting a degree at the moment), and is just not happy with the noise or fuss of engines (she has not yet met the fuss of electrics).  Having something she can crash and not damage would be way cool.
AMA 64232

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »
Mike,  (she has not yet met the fuss of electrics). 

The fuss of electrics?.. eh, like pushing a button and getting a perfect run every time?

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »
I've watched electrics fail at contests, sometimes causing crashes.
AMA 64232

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 07:45:27 PM »
I've watched electrics fail at contests, sometimes causing crashes.

Come to think of it, that's true.  We had a Castle Edge Lite 50 intermittently go blank during flight, and almost lost a plane several times.  I've heard that Paul's anteater had intermittent contact problem during qualifying at Nats. 

Still, compared to the combustion systems, these incidents are few and far in between.  I've seen more cases of engines quitting overhead (not counting bad engine runs) during this Nats than electrics having problems, and there was about an equal number of both.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 08:40:31 PM »
Come to think of it, that's true.  We had a Castle Edge Lite 50 intermittently go blank during flight, and almost lost a plane several times.  I've heard that Paul's anteater had intermittent contact problem during qualifying at Nats. 

Still, compared to the combustion systems, these incidents are few and far in between.  I've seen more cases of engines quitting overhead (not counting bad engine runs) during this Nats than electrics having problems, and there was about an equal number of both.
One year into electric full time and I have had 2 times that the motor quit before the timer stopped it.  Once was my failure to make a tight battery connection and the other was a timer going bad in flight.  Stuff happens.  Compare that to the crap shoot that is IC.

I have had two nose first crashes with IC and the motor(s) survived both and are still in use.  We don't have the vibration issue with electric that we do with IC so we don't need as strong a nose.  Mine are "collapsible" and it worked both times.  The motor needs a secure mount that won't twist when it powers up and cannot pull out forward.  That is about it.  If it encounters a force from the front the motor mounts need to collapse and the nose break away.

If you can see behind the mount, there is noting there.  All of the reinforcing is in front.  When this mount hit the asphalt straight in motor running this is all of the damage to the plane.

However, the best protection is to NOT CRASH!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 03:59:06 AM »
The motor needs a secure mount that won't twist when it powers up and cannot pull out forward.  That is about it. 

Ken

Mostly agreed, with an amendment. It needs to withstand the gyroscopic precession forces during sharp turns like triangles etc. My first attempt to use electric setup was a retrofit into a TF Score arf; i used aluminum that was too thin for the task, and while nothing fell off in flight, I could hear the rotor rubbing on the mounts — but only in corners!
The two collapsible designs i posted above do not have that problem if built per instructions.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here