News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery Break in  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Battery Break in
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
Dear all

I friend told me that for good life for Lipo Battery's is necessary t break in the battery's ,  Discharge then with 3 or 5 C and then recharge using one C

Could someone tell me if this is true ?

I use Zippy Compact Battery's  5S 2700 25C

Thank you

Guil

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
Re: Battery Break in
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »
Yes, it is a good idea.  Decent chargers have a cycle mode built into them.
Mike

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:08:25 PM »
Here is a link to ThunderPower battery instructions.  It should be similar for most.

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/core/media/media.nl?id=132007&c=1065743&h=8637782eee240ecb0782&whence=

Getting the 3 to 5C, for our use, in the 10 amp/h discharge rate is interesting as not many chargers do that.  Resistance and cooling, low load on a motor....   Some chargers "reverse the charge" to a lead acid battery - I believe that is the proper description.

Fred

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:52:30 PM »
Fred, what you're describing is called "regenerative discharge"

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 08:22:17 PM »
Yep, at least in Cellpro and IChargers, but I used the description in case it had other terms in other brand chargers.  Or, perhaps only those two offer that feature??
Fred

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
As far as I know they're the only ones who do it.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 08:03:45 PM »
Dear All

I still dont know if is necessary or not charge or discharge the battery before flite

Some one had some real experience about this or this is just an idea

thank you

Guil

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:25:11 PM »
Your original question was, for "good life for Lipo Battery's is necessary t break in the battery's ,  Discharge then with 3 or 5 C and then recharge using one C

The ThunderPower link above certainly suggests that it is good for battery life.  I would not wish to fly a new battery without seeing at least one cycle to near charge and well below storage just to see that the battery appears to charge and discharge normally.  Had one Zippy that was very poor, probably came with a bad cell.  Unfortunately I was new to electrics and got the battery and put it away for a few months before I found that, well past any warranty.  At least I checked before I tried to fly.  I now do as ThunderPower suggests, on any brand battery.  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:18:09 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:31:49 PM »
It is necessary for longevity.  Cycle the batteries at least once, more is OK.  That means full charge and a slow discharge on a charger, not full charge and run on the ground.  Bad idea.  I try to discharge on my charger (I306B) at 1C.

I have some Zippy Compacts 5S 2700 (like yours) that are five years old.  I use them regularly.  I don't know what else you need to know.  Fred said the same thing.

Call Thunderpower, they can explain.
Mike

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »
It is necessary for longevity.  Cycle the batteries at least once, more is OK.  That means full charge and a slow discharge on a charger, not full charge and run on the ground.  Bad idea.  I try to discharge on my charger (I306B) at 1C.

I have some Zippy Compacts 5S 2700 (like yours) that are five years old.  I use them regularly.  I don't know what else you need to know.  Fred said the same thing.

Call Thunderpower, they can explain.

Thank you Mike

Now I understand

My battery's is getting a little puff . But is working normally
How do  you charge your battery's 2C or 3C ?
thank you a lot

Guil

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
Your original question was, for "good life for Lipo Battery's is necessary t break in the battery's ,  Discharge then with 3 or 5 C and then recharge using one C

The ThunderPower link above certainly suggests that it is good for battery life.  I would not wish to fly a new battery without seeing at least one cycle to near charge and well below storage just to see that the battery appears to charge and discharge normally.  Had one Zippy very poor, probably came with a bad cell.  Unfortunately when I was new to electrics and got the battery and put it away a few months before I found that, well past any warranty.  At least I checked before I tried to fly.  I now do as ThunderPower suggests, on any brand battery. 

Thank you Fred
Now I understand
My charge can discharge at  20W just .
Will be a low discharge and after I charce with 1C or 1/2 C

Thank you a lot
Guil

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 06:25:30 PM »
I try not to charge at more than 1.5C, depending on how much time I have.  I can parallel charge two at a time with the Zippys and four at a time with Thunderpower.  Having a number of batteries charged before going to the field helps.  I have six Zippys and eight Thunderpowers.  I spend time flying instead of waiting for batteries to charge.
Mike

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
Your battery puffed a little?  How low was the voltage after flying, or how many mah did you replace?  When I am done, I look at the mah to get to storage, and then add that to the storage to full charge whenever I do that, assuming that I am not recharging at immediately, but going to storage.

Was that puff on the first charge then discharge, or did you cycle a few times for break in?

I charge 2C only occasionally at the field - Similar to Mike.  If charged to storage, then storage to full charge doesn't take too long.  Also, as Mike suggested, a parallel board is a real help if you want to fly and not sit at home waiting.  Of course that depends on charger output.

Fred

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 08:48:53 PM »
Your battery puffed a little?  How low was the voltage after flying, or how many mah did you replace?  When I am done, I look at the mah to get to storage, and then add that to the storage to full charge whenever I do that, assuming that I am not recharging at immediately, but going to storage.

Was that puff on the first charge then discharge, or did you cycle a few times for break in?

I charge 2C only occasionally at the field - Similar to Mike.  If charged to storage, then storage to full charge doesn't take too long.  Also, as Mike suggested, a parallel board is a real help if you want to fly and not sit at home waiting.  Of course that depends on charger output.

Hi Fred

After flight normally 3,75 the lowest was 3,69 just once . Using cell checker from hyperion always have more than 20%  .
I charge 1700 / 1800 mah  after flight
When I go home I do storage
I did not break in my battery's (until now) I charge and fly 

My Charger is a Reaktor from Turnigy 200W  in home I charge in 1C  in field 2,5 C ,  7 Amps

Thank you

Guil 

Offline Guilherme Souza

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 08:54:55 PM »
I try not to charge at more than 1.5C, depending on how much time I have.  I can parallel charge two at a time with the Zippys and four at a time with Thunderpower.  Having a number of batteries charged before going to the field helps.  I have six Zippys and eight Thunderpowers.  I spend time flying instead of waiting for batteries to charge.

Very Good Mike

Here in Brazil the batterys are very very very expensive .

Can you imagine pay 100 Dollars in a Zippy battery ?or 600 in a Thunder power ?

I will save some money and try to buy more one battery .

thank you

Guil

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 09:12:57 PM »
There are more than one charts and calculations for voltage to %battery remaining.  Most show 3.69v as under 20% left, more than 80% used.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=333661

Some of the minor overuse "puffs" resolve with rest and return to normal temperature and voltage, so hopefully no damage.  2.5 C should be reasonable if the battery doesn't get very warm, and of course that may depend on the battery cooling a bit before being recharged from use.  

I believe that the Reactor charger is as icharger clone and felt to be reasonable.  I can't specifically find the 200w however.

The icharger will measure internal resistance, as the Reactor may?  I watch that for IR change if I suspect a problem.  I worry about change more than the actual number, unless I have several of the same batteries and establish a "normal or usual" resistance form those types of packs.  IR can vary with temperature and during the charge, so if you have IR on the charger, do a little search and reading.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
You might be interested in the Battery Discharger topic for help with break in or initial conditioning.  Check your Reaktor charger specs to see if you can connect an external resistance similar to the iChargers, I believe it is a clone.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/battery-discharger/

Added note, at least some of the Reaktor chargers accept the external series charge, listed in their specs.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:50:40 AM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here