News:

• May 16, 2024, 06:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Contra rotating props  (Read 627 times)

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Contra rotating props
« on: December 16, 2010, 03:54:51 AM »
Has anybody used a contra rotating prop setup yet?

Think of the possibilities.
No gyroscopic precession, and the look.......WOW!!!!!!
Scale Seafires etc.....can't wait!!
Bandolero

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Contra rotating props
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:01:08 PM »
I know Archie A was doing something with a contra rotating motor setup - but have not seen anything on it for a while.   Would look WAY cool
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
I got a Himax 650 watt system which is basically a set of 2814's or 35-36's whichever you prefer.  Both motors are 1050 Kv and specified to use 3S on a 12 x 6P front prop and 11 x 8 rear prop.  I ran on the bench and system runs quite well.  Problem is the weight.  The motors together weigh 10 ounces and would require (1) 3700 3s pack per motor so that would drive total battery weight to say 20 to 22 ounces.  Then add in (2) esc's and that is another 4 ounces. 

The reasoning for the smaller higher pitch rear prop was to first stay out of the front props tip vortices and second take the already accelerated air and move it faster.  I did try to run (2) 12 x 6's and was amazed at how loud the system got and also how much higher the current was on the rear motor.  This obviously confirmed Maxx Products claim.  The sound is amazing though!!!

I considered going to 4S and running smaller props, but the prop selection got dismally thin.  A 10 x 5 on the front and 9 x 6P on the rear ran very nicely on 4S, but still the total system weight was way too high. 

To me, the weight of the system and added complexity didn't justify any performance advantage.  The Himax contra-motor system is very nicely built, but I was going to have to change a few things to stiffen it up as I was not convinced it would hold up under CLPA loads.  The front motor does have a support bearing in the rear of the bell housing, but the 5mm shaft was ground down to 3/16" for the front prop.  The rear prop is driven by the front motor and rear motor drives the front prop.

I had drawn a 650 sq in Miss Ashley II for it.  I have always liked that airframe.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »
Go on......you know you want to do it.......just think, you'll be the first!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bandolero

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
Hi Archie,
What you want to do is run the front motor at constant RPM, and then build a circuit that slaves the rear motor to match the current draw to that of the front motor.
Prop sizes are not of prime importance here, just that matched currents equal matched torques and no spiral airflow.

Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 01:14:17 PM »
Dean,

When running the 12 x 6 front and 11 x 8 rear, the current was very close.  The current spike on the rear motor came when running the 12 x 6 props front and rear.  I experienced the same thing when running (2) 9 x 6's on 4S.  The 10 x 5 and 9 x 6 was a nice combo for 4S with this system. 

Again, the weight is something I haven't gotten past.  Would most certainly require some outside the box thinking in the building department.  After flying My uncle Dennis' twin Pathfinder this year, I know that power wouldn't be an issue.  We flew it with a pair of 9 x 4.5's with the inboard motor using a RH prop and outboard using the LH prop.  It has a pair of Arrowind 2810's on a 4S 3600 pack.  Pathfinder @ 64 ounces never had a chance.  It was airborne in a few feet and flew very well on 63' lines.  Best power setting on the motors was 12,000 rpm.

Would be interested to see the ICE data on a inline Contra system in a stunt pattern.  Never, know.  I haven't given up on it yet.  Too many projects ahead of that one. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana 
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here