News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Continental E  (Read 655 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Continental E
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:07:13 PM »
OK guys since the general agreement was my motor/ESC combo will work in the Continental I am building here are a couple of pictures of the planned motor installation.  The motor is front mounted with a rear support bearing.  Please take a look at the pictures and tell me if you see any "Oh NO! Don't do that" in them.
Thanks in Advance
Andy Borgogna
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Continental E
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 03:54:55 PM »
How does the motor come in and out when the plane is all built?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
Ans how is the rear bearing retained?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »
Chris and Larry
First, I guess I didn't really give any thought to removing the motor.  Sounds like something I need to look into.  The rear support bearing is pressed into the metal part that came with the motor and normally used to mount it.   The rotor shaft slips into the bearing for rear support. Quite simple and effective.  Allowing for removal of the motor could be difficult but I am sure it is doable.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:34:18 AM »
Hi Andy,

Your install looks great. Building from a kit or plans gives you many options for the E system. You can make easy hatches, better cooling, cowl flaps, etc. I look forward to seeing your progress.  :)

RE: Your motor removal. You may want to make your rear bulkhead, that the rear bearing is in, removable. You can make vertical ply rails on each side and just slide it out via the top or bottom hatch after you take the front mount screws out of the front of the motor. It may not be needed, but a small screw should be enough to hold it from moving if it is a tight fit. There is no fore and aft force on it, so it won't take much.

If it is possible, you may want to make a "quick release" top hatch to access the battery on every flight. This makes it very convenient and prevents mucking up the lines flipping the plane just before each flight. And then also make the standard bottom hatch to get at everything else.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »
Thanks Rudy
I was thinking along the same lines, some kind of slide device to allow the motor assembly to slide up and out.  The nose ring and block is designed to be split so that makes that part easier.  The front bulkhead could backup to the nose block and the rear bulkhead could set in a vertical slide as you described.  A lock down lid on top whould keep the whole assembly locked in place.  Anyway I will work out something.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
I saw the build under way today.  It is going to be pretty nifty!  y1

DesignMan

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 04:42:32 PM »
the eaiest way to get your motor out is to cut a vetical slot in the front bulkhead in the location of the shaft  - wide enough for the shaft to slide out of -then you just undo the front mounting bolts and "slide" the motor out .....
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »
Not if you also have the rear bearing, as Andy does.

DesignMan

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »
OK, time for an update.  The motor is removable, it will lift out through the top when the forward top cover is removed.  The forward and rear motor mounting bulkheads slip down into slots built into the fuse.  I am inclosing a picture showing the progress.  The wing and all the tail feathers are framed up and the fuse is nearing completion.  I purchased a battery today to provide measurements for completing the batter/ESC compartment.  I talked with Eric and the recommendation for the motor package a 12X6 APC pusher prop running at 9200 RPM.  I will be going with the recommendation and hope for the best.  The battery I got today is a 14.8, 25C, 3200mha battery.  Don't know if it has enough capacity for the entire pattern but it's a start.  Anyway that's where I am today.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here