News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:41:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Connections  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Connections
« on: June 29, 2009, 02:27:37 PM »
Anybody have the same problem ,that I do? it seams that the connection from the ESC to timer come lose sometimes. eather in mid flight or on start up, this is not often but still happens, in flight level is ok but in a stunt it cuts out and returns normal. would tying the connector help?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: Connections
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »
never  VD~

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 04:03:27 PM »
Anybody have the same problem ,that I do? it seams that the connection from the ESC to timer come lose sometimes. eather in mid flight or on start up, this is not often but still happens, in flight level is ok but in a stunt it cuts out and returns normal. would tying the connector help?

I am wondering if you are getting some type of low voltage or overcurrent cutoff. I can't believe that you are actually losing the physical connection--unless you have a broken wire or perhaps a faulty timer.

How are your batteries doing. Is the cutoff a random thing (over the flight) or happening at specific times??--like in a maneuver where the current draw is likely to be higher than average.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »
Alan not the battery is OK the small 3 pin plug just get loose and when I wiggle it it's OK .   when not completely seated it will work in level flight, but when a change in flight happens it makes intermittent contack.
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:44:04 AM »
I guess you need to replace the connector on the ESC. I think you can buy a pigtail (so you can either cut the existing wires and solder the pigtail onto them, or take off the original connector and wire and solder on the new pigtail with connector.

Here would be a test I would do first. Take off the prop. Start the system up, and as it is running, wiggle the wire and/or the connector near where it makes contact to the timer. If the motor stops, then it is the connection.

Another possibility is the the wire prongs on the timer don't make a good contact to the timer circuit board solder pads. I had a JMP-2 which arrived DOA from the store. I was just about ready to send it back when I looked more carefully at the circuit board and saw that a couple of pins were missing solder, or didn't have a nice clean solder connection on the circuit board pad. A small touch of the soldering iron and a little solder fixed that up, and that's the timer I am still using today.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
Larry,
   What ESC are you using? From your description it sounds like the power system is not consistent (power turns on and off or varies). Most ESC's (Castle for example) have signal loss protection built in. If the signal from the Rx or timer is lost for a second or fraction of a second the ESC shuts down and will not restart. What exactly is your power system doing?

Mike

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »
Hi Larry,
I have seen dental floss tied around the two connectors threaded between the wires, heat-shrink tubing, tape, more tape, and even schnazzy injection-molded connector keepers like these!  http://sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php?cat=395
You are not alone.
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
Dean I like the keeper, I think I'll give it a try.
Mike I'm using a C/C 45 with Will Hubin timer.  Now this problem does not happen a lot , But it can be frustrating at a contest for a official flight.
Larry

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »
It doesn't have to happen a lot, Larry!
Just once in just the wrong place can destroy a good Stunt ship. :o
Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »
Dean I like the keeper, I think I'll give it a try.
Mike I'm using a C/C 45 with Will Hubin timer.  Now this problem does not happen a lot , But it can be frustrating at a contest for a official flight.

Larry,
Once is too many times.

However if I were you, I would really replace the connector. That sort of problem is not a simple irritant -- it is something that is broken. If it is that loose, the connections will always have the possibility of making an intermittent contact--even with a keeper.

Also make sure it is really the connector and not something else. From your postings, I not sure that you have actually positively identified the connector as the problem or not.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 05:39:12 AM »
I fly a lot of RC and make up all my own connectors and servo leads. You will sometimes get one that just doesn't mate right. Maybe just over polished. They should fit snug. Just replace it if you want or you can do what we do in rc, use a little electrical tape to wrap the connection. It bonds very well to the plastic and will hold them together thru any of the gentle maneuvers we do in CL aerobatics... it holds in all the violent moves we do in 3D rc with no problems and with very long wires attached getting all thrown about.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here