News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Component wiring layout  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Component wiring layout
« on: September 14, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »
Most of my ships I have used the wiring as it comes for the motor leads, battery and timer lead. For my Ringmaster I want to shorten up the loose wires. The battery and power leads are fine but the control timer lead has the plug on it. Is it easier to cut the lead and just remove and replace on the ESC board or cut and replace the plug?

Best,   DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Component wiring layout
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:14:13 PM »
Most of my ships I have used the wiring as it comes for the motor leads, battery and timer lead. For my Ringmaster I want to shorten up the loose wires. The battery and power leads are fine but the control timer lead has the plug on it. Is it easier to cut the lead and just remove and replace on the ESC board or cut and replace the plug?

Best,   DennisT
If you are sure you are never going to use the ESC on anything else, I would go with the plug. Otherwise use the quicktie.

However, it is quite easy to cut some wire from  the center and solder it back covering with heat shrink.  Strip it back about 1/4" on each end, straighten out the strands and push them together like you are capturing a Banshee on Avatar.  Solder then utter your favorite cussword because you forgot to put the heat shrink tube on first.  : ~^  :-X LL~
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 08:24:47 AM »
Ken,
Yes, will only use this for this airplane. So sounds like you think I should cut wires and add the new plug rather than remove and re-solder to the ESC board. Correct?

I guess I could try that as I have the crimp tool and the pins and plug body and if it doesn't work well then go a different route.

Best,   DennisT

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 11:11:31 AM »
The way I read Ken's post is: cut a piece of wire off from the middle, and then solder the ends together. That way you are still using the same plug.

----------------------
...Solder then utter your favorite cussword because you forgot to put the heat shrink tube on first.  : ~^  :-X LL~
Been there, done that.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 01:27:17 PM »
The way I read Ken's post is: cut a piece of wire off from the middle, and then solder the ends together. That way you are still using the same plug.
That would be my preference since I don't have the tools to re-crimp the plug.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 07:07:21 PM »
I shorten speed controller single wires by cutting out a section and soldering the wires back together.   I strip about 1/2" of insulation back on each wire.  I then take the two haves and twist them together and solder them.  I then trim the resulting pigtail to about a 1/4" long and fold it back agents the wire and cover it with shrink tubing.  I do this with all three wires and then cover all three with a larger piece of shrink tubing.  I have found this give strong reliable splice of small wires.  Photos attached.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
More photos.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 06:24:56 AM »
I brought a Meterk crimp tool (from Ebay, they are between $12 -$16) and after watching a few YouTube videos on how to install servo plugs I was ready to give it a try (). In the videos they recommend doing a few practice crimps to get the feel for how the tool works and how to position the crimps. At first I thought, well that's for R/C guys that don't build, I can do this straight away. Then I thought just to make sure I understand everything I would do one test. Well, that was the right decision. The first crimp was close, but didn't get it prefect. I did a second one and got it right. I then put all the components in place and marked where I wanted to cut the wires (this was the wire that goes from the ESC to the timer, shortened it by about 7"). From that point it only to 5 minutes to do all three crimps. The Meterk crimp tool (works the same as the one in the video) is very easy to use and the crimps are not expensive and were available at my LHS.

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 08:01:38 PM by Dennis Toth »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here