News:

• May 04, 2024, 07:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Component Installation, or AAARRRRRRRGH!  (Read 814 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Component Installation, or AAARRRRRRRGH!
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
OK the airframe is complete, covering done, and I'm try to actually INSTALL all the little bits and pieces - onlyt the don't WANT to be mounted!

* The JMP timer is a wonderfull little piece,  looks like I a cut a little hole in the fuselage and poke it through.  THEN what - GLUE it in?  Looks like it needs some kind of backing plate behined it to hold it so I can press the button, but that backing plate either has to be glued to the inner fuselage or some kind of plastic strap wrapped behind it with two screws to the outside surface - both ideas sound kinda hokie.  Got suggestions? Can you post a pix or two?

* Ditto the Phoenis ESC  I think I can tie-strap it to the battery door (gruesome but effective) bu that means one surface is in the battery box airstream and the other is flat agains the balsa door.  Will that work or do I need to expose BOTH sides to air?  Again - got pix?

* The Phoenix and JMP do not have a simple arming switch - somehow that seams odd.  Is it prudent to splice a swithc (or better still a plug jack) into the servo lead of the Phoenix?

* I do not see that anyone fuses systems any more like we did in the first generation of RC electrics.  SOmething gained but something lost too.  Is it still prudent to fuse the battery line?  How about plugging in a 50A blade fuse (external) as the arming connection for flight?

Oh yeah, the bird in question is my new Jack Sheeks "Swinger, loks of pix over in the Classic section - here's a couple for the ECL regulars...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Component Installation, or AAARRRRRRRGH!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:02:12 AM »
Hi Dennis,

I will try to take some photos of my installation tomorrow and post them here.

Your on the right track. I just glue a small disk of ply to my JMP. I use 5 min epoxy because I am concerned about the CA running into areas it should not be, like the button etc. I make a square hole for the sq part that holds the button. I like to have everything removeable for maintenance and or replacement, so my disk is large enough to allow me to screw it into the side of my fuselage. The button sticks through a hole in the side. I found that it makes it even easier to operate by sanding a shallow dish in the balsa so that my finger can push in the button without the button having to be sticking out too far. .... My photos should be worth at least 10 more words? ;-)

The same applies to the ESC. I mount it on balsa rails so that cooling air can get all around it. I glue female Velcro to the ESC and male Velcro to the rails, then they mate in the privacy of my fuselage. Because one of my life goals is to stay one step ahead of "Murphy's Law", I also use a small 1/4" wide piece of Velcro wrap to help hold the ESC in place under our hi G maneuvers. :-)

RE: your idea for a safety switch. You can order an excellent, super safe solution here:

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html#arming

In addition to this "Arming Switch", you may also want to order the mounting plate and one extra insert (don't ask me how I know this ;-)  I have a great article that shows how to make one of these yourself, but I don't think I can scan it into this forum? I will send it to you via your email. The homebuilt one is smaller, lighter, and more KIS, but you have to do a lot of soldering to make it. .... I'm lazy, so I just bought a few of the ones above. ;-) This is the BEST way to protect ourselves, and all those around us from harm with our ECL planes. It allows you to install your battery at a contest before you even get to the flight line, and it prevents ANY current to get to your system. It is very safe. You just insert the small plug after you raise your hand and then you are armed and dangerous! ;-)

Will and I have started using the excellent Jeti-Spin ESCs. These units have an additional safety feature. They have a built in slide switch, giving us a 3rd safety sw in our systems. They also have a very nice, small programer that can be used at the field to make any changes, no PC needed.

Photos to follow.

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
Re: Component Installation, or AAARRRRRRRGH!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 12:16:13 PM »
Hello friends,
I personally use a remote switch with the JMP. I solder a small 2 leads JSTmale connector (5/6 cm) to the JMP button . The female JSP is soldered to a pushbutton switch that you can permanently install in the plane. I put it close to a cooling exit, under the fuselage, where it is easy to put a finger for starting. Nothing can be seen, the add weight is 2/3 g max.
Now you install the JMP at tne most convenient place, it is easy to deconnect it for exchanging or programming.
If you go to WWW.clacro.de /airplanes/dewoitine  you can see the pushbutton under the nose of the model.
Rgds, Thierry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here