News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:45:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Comparison of CC v3.13, v3.16, and v3.18  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Comparison of CC v3.13, v3.16, and v3.18
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »
Guys,
I did a bench run on all 3 versions tonight.  I have 3 CC-45 ESC's and loaded the same settings into each software version.  I loaded the motor as close as a flight as possible.  After each run I measured the battery, motor, and ESC temps.  Then I measured them again to check for temp rise.  I also used my Eagle Tree datalogger for each run which I've included.

The results:

V3.13
Battery temp - 120/117
Motor temp - 122/127
ESC temp - 97
Mah used - 2422
Amps ave - 23.32
Min Volts - 13.83

V3.16
Battery temp - 126/122
Motor temp - 125/129
ESC temp - 102
Mah used - 2534
Amps ave - 24.84
Min volts - 13.80

V3.18
Battery temp - 124/121
Motor temp - 125/129
ESC temp - 110
Mah used - 2501
Amps ave - 24.67
Min volts - 13.76

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:10:46 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

Re: Comparison of CC v3.13, v3.16, and v3.18
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »
I am trying to remember whether we ever to came to a conclusion about the 3.xx software compared to last years 2.xx software. The reason I ask is that I am still running the last 2.xx version on my Phoenix 10, 25, 35, and 45 ESC's, and at this stage I am thinking there is no reason to update those.

Of course with my new CC Phoenix ICE 50, I am in the 3.xx world. Haven't has a chance to try it out yet.

But anyway, looking at your plots, the center one seems to have the largest current fluctuations. I am guessing that means the governor is working the hardest, or even is slightly unstable since the load is constant.

Not sure why the ESC is hotter for the 3.18 version. Of course we can't be sure if the meaning of the parameters is the same between each version. Like I said it looks like (from the CC forum) that they are trying to handle specific problematic motors, so I have no idea what they are playing with.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:21:41 PM »
Wow, not many comments.

We all agree that v3.16 was terrible and that Castle is heading in the right direction with v3.18. 

V3.18 uses 3.2% more mah than v3.13.  Not much at all. The increase in ESC temp might be attributed to me and the way I checked it.  In other words don't hold too much to the ESC temps. 

The motor temp for v3.18 was 2.4% higher than v3.13 and the battery temp was 3.33% higher. 

Might be my imagination but v3.18 seemed to run pretty smooth.  Take that for what it's worth.  IMHO v3.13 is still the one to keep, but CC is improving and getting closer with each revision. 

Right now I have 3 45's, 2 35's and 1 25.  I'll keep the one 45 at v3.13 as the "standard".  I will update all the others from v3.16 to v3.18 soon.  No sense in keeping v3.16.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »
This is so bizarre.  I am running 3,16, and it runs fine, as did 3.13 before it,  yet your results show something is different.  I do not have any suggestions nor speculations...  Expect to update to 3.18 when  get tuit.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:34:15 AM »
Dennis,
I might be able to do some comparison flying this weekend between v3.13 and v3.18.  I'll report back what I find out.  I guess as they say in Michigan "Your mileage may vary."    :)  Maybe the differences is the motors we are using?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:00:48 AM »
This is so bizarre.  I am running 3,16, and it runs fine, as did 3.13 before it,  yet your results show something is different.  I do not have any suggestions nor speculations...  Expect to update to 3.18 when  get tuit.

Dennis,
Like I have mentioned, I have been following some of the issues over on RC Groups.

From what I can figure out, this governor stuff, and even just the operating code, is a little (if not a lot) squirrelly. We are spared all the complications on how the ESC gets its feed back signal from the motor to know when to do its "switcheroo" (aka commutation) thing. My guess it is pretty tricky, with some motors probably providing better signals than others. From these signals the ESC has to do things like the timing (when exactly to switch, how to do it so that one set of FET's are turning off while the others are turning on (for the PWM stuff).

"Obviously" CC checks out the code on some sets of motors--otherwise I would think they wouldn't release it. But now they seem to be casting the net to cover all types of motors and styles of running. It apparently is a lot more difficult than I had imagined! I am guessing that they come up with a fix to handle some type of motor, but in the process it breaks another type. I bet they (CC) are having a lot of fun right now! HB~>

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »
OK, let's follow that train of thought - I admit I am skeptical but as of now any/all ideas are in play, and this is a s good a place as any other to start.  In the RC Groups discussions, have they surfaced any common threads regarding motor brand or construction?

Just for comparison purposes my apps include:

* Turnigy 36-42 - 1000 kv with Phoenix 35.  Run on 3.13, 3.14 (beta testers version) and 3.16.  Also run for a short time on ICE-50 strictly for testng using 3.14.  No differences noted.

* Rimfire 36-35 - 1200 kV with Phoenix 35 & 4S.  Has been run on 3.13 & 3.16 with no differences observed.

* Arrowind 2820-920kv with Phx 35, 2832-960kv with Phx 45, & 3526-685kV on 6S with Phx 60.

* I use the same basic parameters set-up, ALL run with governor gain set to "10" (midway between the Low and Medium gains) and head speed rate set to Medium.  All the Arrowind apps have only used Version 3.16, and all run very well. 

* Have also run the Brodak motor  whcih is 1500 kV on 3S and version 3.13.  Again this motor is off the beaten path (10 poles instead of the usual 14) so it has a place in the common software discussion.  It is now set-up to fly on 3.16 but has not been flwon this way yet.

* As a side note, I even ran the gear drive with the 4-pole inrunner on version 3.13, and while its career was short (about 10 flights) the common CC Software  it seemed to handle it just fine.  I only mention it because THAT motor combo was as far removed from an outrunner as you can get.

One consistant element in my apps is that the kV is a little tall, and throttle setting is thus low.   Perhaps WHERE we operate in the throttle range is a factor?    However the 3526 (in the Strega) has run well from 8000 RPM with a 13x6.5 to 11,000 RPM on a 13x4.  That is a pretty broad throttle range.

Crist: are your comparisons all with Scorpions?  Same motor?

I still think we're missing something in the set-up parameters, however Crist's excellent test series had not "bubbled up" anything there yet...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »
Dennis,
Yes all with the same motor.  On the bench runs I used an APC 9x8 from a cut down 11x8 prop to approximate the load while flying.  Here is my set up for all the versions I bench ran:

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »
Dennis,
Are you seeing any issues with your setups? I can't tell exactly from your last comments.

And for Crist,
I am curious about your governor gain.I know it is hard to compare 2.xx settings vs the 3.xx settings since I think they may have changed the scale, but I am wondering if putting the gain right up to the max (assuming that is what you did) might conceivably cause the ESC to work somewhat harder in keeping the rpm "perfectly" constant. I have no evidence that it does, but I know one claim to fame from CC was that they made the feedback much stronger in the 3.xx version that what existed in the 2.xx.

Just throwing out possibilities!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »
Alan - NO issues what so ever, and yet Crist's data seems to make a compelling case.  I only noted the KV as a "difference" that that may or may not influence the outcome.  Again my thought was that all ideas are on the table until we figure out the issue.

It would seem that head speed change rate and gov gain would work together possibly overshooting & overcorrecting - possibly using more curent.  However I think those parameters were part of Crist's test matrix and I do not think he found a "smoking gun" in those results.

I'm not quite ready to switch to a Fox just yet...!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »
I agree, no Fox for me!

Well, maybe a few more tries  HB~>. Why does this feel so good?

I am almost totally convinced now that the constant rpm mode in electric is superior to any glow engine--at least in providing thrust. The only think I would like to get measured would be a piped run to see how constant those runs really are. I tried "pirating" a You-Tube video of David Fitzgerald flying the pattern with a piped setup back in late 90's, and I was actually able to analyze the sound ok, but the Doppler Effect made it hopeless to get anything quantitative out of the sound.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »
Dennis, Alan,
I used the max gain that was available on the v3.13 (21) on v3.18.  V3.18 does have a higher number like 35? I can set the gain to but I wanted to compare both versions using the same set up.  Using v3.13 and a setting of 21 I never had any surging/hunting problems with the motor run.  I liked the way the max gain felt.  I did try mid and low gain and I didn't like them at all.  On low gain the motor was trailing in a loop by quite a bit.  Going up it would slow down and then coming around on the backside of the loop it would speed up!  I quite messing around for fear I'd splatter the plane during that flight.  Trust me the governor is working!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 07:50:35 PM »
Crist,
My comment really meant to use enough gain so that you can't measure an rpm drop. Measure (up to now at least) meant with the Eagletree.

So instead of driving it to the point just before it begins to oscillate, try putting just past the point where you can't detect any rpm drop.

Now I am not sure how close or far away from each other those two points are.

I was just curious.

So one more question---what version did you (Crist) use during last year's contests? I am guessing you were nominally satisfied with that performance.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »
Alan,
I used v3.13 and was very happy with it.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here