News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Commercially Available E-Stunt Kits  (Read 2047 times)

Online Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Commercially Available E-Stunt Kits
« on: March 02, 2021, 12:01:24 PM »
I know there are probably hundreds of kits available out there, and likely thousands of plans. Out of all of them, what are the commercially available electric stunt/sport kits out there? I know Pat King probably has the market corned on this front (good job!), but what other offerings are there?

On a related note, is the standard practice at this point to just either fully build from scratch, or to kit bash an existing kit to make it electric?  I still have stuff to build, and probably modify from IC to electric during construction, but I've been getting a bug lately about either an original Nobler or Gieske Nobler, built to be electric from the ground up. There's all sorts of posts on converting a Nobler ARF to electric, but seemingly not a lot on building one (either the green box or Brodak) to be electric.

What I would like is a Giekse Nobler with foam core wings, redesigned for electric, utilizing blue/pink foam instead of expensive balsa blocks, that I can try my hand at building in the manner the Windy built his planes (made to last for many years). I would want to incorporate modern building practices as much as possible (carbon fiber in key places, modern controls & geometry). Only thing is I can't seem to locate a kit for this, only the commonly available plans.  This brings me back to my question above.

What electric control line stunt/sport or PA kits are there that are available?

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Commercially Available E-Stunt Kits
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:44:06 PM »
I see you haven't checked out the following sites:   RSN Dist., Brodaks Mfg and I think it is BLMR . S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:07:13 PM »
I have, and that's the issue.

Brodak has 5 offerings in the electric series, all ARFs. They do have many conversion kits that would cover most all of their kits, but I'm talking about an actual kit, made to be electric, from the start.

BMJR Models has control line kits, but all IC, nothing for electric.

RSM Distribution has a few - Eric Rule's P-40, P51D (which may be the closest to what I'm talking about) & MIG3, the take-apart Flite Streak, Magician, and Tutor, the OTS Ringmaster, and the TERCEL.

I see a great need for suitable kits. Classic and modern designs, redesigned to be electric powered instead of glow only. Of course, a good conversion kit will probably suffice in most cases. I was just wondering what is actually out there to choose from.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »
Check with    https://stunthanger.com/smf/builtrightflyright-com/

Walter Umland now lives in North Alabama.  Having meet him face to face I can assure you that he is one of the good guy associated with our hobby.  Anyway his custom cut kits are all first class.  Send him an email and tell him what you want.  Pretty good chance he can cut most any thing you need.    y1

http://www.builtrightflyright.com
builtrightflyright@builtrightflyright.com
386-225-9537

John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 06:23:33 PM »
Well, funny you should mention that. I do a lot of CAD work for Walter, including the full 3D modeling of the Super Satan combat plane. I'll check with him, see what we can get done.

Side note - who has the rights to the Gieske  Nobler?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 08:27:18 PM »
Steve,
Welcome to our world, the industry seems to be looking at the world of electric model kits for electric use.  In my opinion, it’s in a transition period at this point.  Most if not the kits that are out there still seem to stick with their kits being able to be built with either glow or electric.  The big thing is that they can be converted to electric power quite simply, installing and or changing to some construction to make them a viable choice for electric conversion.

What your asking for would be available from after market companies, such as foam wings from Bob Hunt, motors & batteries Thunder power,  E flute, Cobra, and many other places.  It’s quite easy to convert many of the glow powered models to electric, and many have done just that.  Even people that have design & production experience seem to be a little slow, not wanting to spend the money to engineer  their products.  I know I have to change the designs I currently have kited to be able to sell each for electric.  That’s OK, because times are a changing.

So you have an open book to start almost any place you want to.  Get a foam wing, stab & elevators cut to your specs from Bob, a set of plans for the fuselage, then design it so the batteries are easy to remove and install  between flights.  You will find that most model designs could use some modern changes to help performance and built time, but only you will know how far to take it.  You will find that most modelers on this forum are willing to share their opinions on the type of construction to use, so pick and choose carefully.

Good Luck and Have Fun,
Mike Pratt   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:47:31 PM by MikeyPratt »

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 09:20:44 PM »
Well, funny you should mention that. I do a lot of CAD work for Walter, including the full 3D modeling of the Super Satan combat plane. I'll check with him, see what we can get done.

Side note - who has the rights to the Gieske  Nobler?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Steve Moon was the last person to kit the Gieseke Nobler.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 01:40:02 PM »
Although I no longer own RSM Distribution I can tell you that converting a glow kit to electric power is not difficult at all. While I was the owner RSM sold many glow powered kit that I made a conversion to electric power. The two easiest ways to accomplish this is 1) amend the existing formers and fuel tank compartment in a built-up model to accept the proper sized electric motor and battery  (profile fuselages are even easier) or 2) create a simple drop in box to replace the front formers back to the wing location. This box will contain motor mounts and battery compartment for electric power. Off the top of my head I recall converting at least 40% of the entire RSM kit line as well as 1/2 of Mike Griffin's kit offerings.

All you need to do is to contact Mike at RSM, tell him what model you wish and ask him if it already has the electric conversion done. In the event that the model you desire has not already been converted you can contact me and I will do the conversion for you. Cost for the computer time to change the drawing and create the necessary parts will be around $40.00. I can be reached at clflyer1943@gmail.com or at 951-409-1277. If you desire a model not currently produced by RSM I can make the necessary changes. All I need is a copy of the plans

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 05:06:33 PM »
Check with    https://stunthanger.com/smf/builtrightflyright-com/

Walter Umland now lives in North Alabama.  Having meet him face to face I can assure you that he is one of the good guy associated with our hobby.  Anyway his custom cut kits are all first class.  Send him an email and tell him what you want.  Pretty good chance he can cut most any thing you need.    y1

http://www.builtrightflyright.com
builtrightflyright@builtrightflyright.com
386-225-9537

Walter kits Paul Walker’s Flaming Dog Head Airplane, a very successful electric stunt plane (I presume he’s kept it electric). The very accurate file from which the ribs were cut was draughted by a man of wealth and taste.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here