News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New ESC brushless...settings?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
New ESC brushless...settings?
« on: June 25, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »
Got a new esc for Brodak timer and motor on electric Super Clown. Does the esc need to be programmed for control line flight. It started, took off and shut down within a lap.
Any suggestion appreciated...
Shug

ESC: Cheetah 40 amp brushless
BEC 3A

Motor:
Diameter: 35.8mm
Length: 34.5mm
Shaft Diameter: 5mm
Weight: 116 Grams
KV: 1500
Max. Current: 35A
Number of Turns: 7
Input Voltage Range: 7.2-14 volts

3C 3300 lipo

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New ESC brushless...settings?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
Shug, that sounds like an installation or battery issue than a timer/ESC setup issue.  If it were setup, then you'd have a full-length flight that you weren't happy with!

I'm tossing a bunch of possibilities out here, assuming that you don't have much time with electrics.  So forgive me if this is redundant:

• Friction -- does the motor turn freely with no power applied?  You should be able to flip the prop like you were starting an engine and have it rotate for a turn or two.  If it stops dead when you flip it, something is rubbing.
  • Prop -- do you have the right prop for the motor and number of cells?  If you've heavily overloaded the motor the ESC may go into overcurrent; in severe cases the battery may sag (although not after a few seconds!)
  • Battery -- are you sure it is charged up?  Most ESCs will cut power if the battery sags.  This could also be influenced by too much prop.
  • Timer -- do you have it programmed for a few seconds, or six minutes?

Let us know what prop you're running.

If you have not done so, take the prop off, set the thing up, push the button and see what happens -- what should happen is that the thing should run normally for your programmed flight time without the battery or ESC getting too hot (keep feeling them).  If that's the case it eliminates the timer and friction as candidates for the problem.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »
Got a new esc for Brodak timer and motor on electric Super Clown. Does the esc need to be programmed for control line flight. It started, took off and shut down within a lap.
Any suggestion appreciated...
Shug

ESC: Cheetah 40 amp brushless
BEC 3A

Motor:
Diameter: 35.8mm
Length: 34.5mm
Shaft Diameter: 5mm
Weight: 116 Grams
KV: 1500
Max. Current: 35A
Number of Turns: 7
Input Voltage Range: 7.2-14 volts

3C 3300 lipo

I don't know what a Cheetah ESC is but generally an ESC will require programming. Did you not get any instructions?  Often inexpensive ESCs require a transmitter or a servo tester to program. Some can be programmed with a special card or with a computer. It is not rocket science but can be daunting for a newbie! Especially the cheapie ESCs! Get some local help if you can.

Good luck!
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:33:19 PM »
Shug, that sounds like an installation or battery issue than a timer/ESC setup issue.  If it were setup, then you'd have a full-length flight that you weren't happy with!

I'm tossing a bunch of possibilities out here, assuming that you don't have much time with electrics.  So forgive me if this is redundant:

• Friction -- does the motor turn freely with no power applied?  You should be able to flip the prop like you were starting an engine and have it rotate for a turn or two.  If it stops dead when you flip it, something is rubbing.
  • Prop -- do you have the right prop for the motor and number of cells?  If you've heavily overloaded the motor the ESC may go into overcurrent; in severe cases the battery may sag (although not after a few seconds!)
  • Battery -- are you sure it is charged up?  Most ESCs will cut power if the battery sags.  This could also be influenced by too much prop.
  • Timer -- do you have it programmed for a few seconds, or six minutes?

Let us know what prop you're running.

If you have not done so, take the prop off, set the thing up, push the button and see what happens -- what should happen is that the thing should run normally for your programmed flight time without the battery or ESC getting too hot (keep feeling them).  If that's the case it eliminates the timer and friction as candidates for the problem.

Thanks Tim.

No friction at all.
Motor turns freely.
Prop is a 9X4.5 as recommended by Brodak
Battery fully charged for sure.
Timer set for 5 minutes. Worked just fine the first 5 flights.
Here is the set-up
Details

Package includes:
BH-1850 Brushless Electric Motor
BH-1863 ESC 35 amp
BH-1846 Battery 11.1V
BH-1857 Charger/Balancer GT-P4
BH-1869 Timer
APC 9 x 4.5 Electric Prop
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:40 PM »
I don't know what a Cheetah ESC is but generally an ESC will require programming. Did you not get any instructions?  Often inexpensive ESCs require a transmitter or a servo tester to program. Some can be programmed with a special card or with a computer. It is not rocket science but can be daunting for a newbie! Especially the cheapie ESCs! Get some local help if you can.

Good luck!
Set it for lipo and no brake on my RC stuff. Still not running well. Motor sounds scratchy but it is free from binding and the prop is the recommended prop. Maybe I got a dodgy set-up.
It is a bit daunting. As it ran perfect the first 5 flights. I did set it for max RPM.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 10:57:32 PM »
Worked just fine the first 5 flights.

Ah ha!  If it did work but doesn't now that's a sign that the ESC and timer setup is OK (or at least was; I'd like to say that they don't change spontaneously, but we're talking about computers here).

I'd check all five power wires to make sure that nothing broke.  From the sound of it it's most likely a battery wire, but check the motor wires, too.  Feel them along their length; if there's a spot that's too flexible it's a sign that the wire inside is broken.  Carefully inspect the connectors to make sure that they're springy where they should be springy and solid where they should be solid.  Wiggle the wires where they go into the connectors and into the ESC -- with just five flights on the setup it's more likely that you had a dodgy solder joint that let go rather than a broken wire.

You may also want to set up whole system with the thing powered on, then wiggle, tug and press on the wires at the connectors and at the ESC.  If your ESC makes a power-on beep when it isn't supposed to, you've found a loose connection.

It could also be that one of your batteries died an early death -- if your charger allows you to do a discharge/charge cycle it may be worthwhile to do one.  I'm not current on what chargers will do, and I'd have to look up what voltage you'd want to discharge to, but it's a worthwhile test.  Also, if your charger measures pack resistance, check that for all the packs -- if the one you flew with is higher than the others, you've found your bad boy.

Ain't this fun?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 12:18:58 AM »
Hi Shug,
Seeing that you are doing the electric thing now, a worthwhile addition is a wattmeter (what meter??? #^). It goes in between the battery and the esc and measures the voltage, current and power. You then let the system run while watching the voltage going down. Running static will also use more power so if it is the battery that is the problem, then it will show up quickly. If any of your flying buddies have one then just try theirs to start off with, but like I say, it is certainly a useful tool when playing with electrickery!

Keith R
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:46:41 AM by Keith Renecle »
Keith R

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here