News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:06:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cold weather flying - Run at lower RPM to keep the same lap times?  (Read 627 times)

Offline Bill Schluckbier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Hello all,

The weather here in Michigan is starting to cool off.  We had a nice day today with a high of 45 degrees and relatively calm winds (~ 10 mph) so I decided to go flying.  The last time I flew this particular model was about a month ago when temperatures were in the mid 70's to low 80's.  Upon take off the plane seemed to be flying a little faster than normal so I decided to time the laps and got 5.2 sec (measured over 10 level laps). In warmer weather, the same ESC setting normally gave me about 5.4 sec laps.  Since I am running the motor in governor mode I would expect thrust to increase with lower ambient temperatures if RPM are kept constant.  But I would also expect drag to increase as well.  In my mind I figured that the two would even out and that the lap time would not change.  Is what I observed normal and do we need to adjust RPM to compensate for changes in air temperature?

Thanks

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: Cold weather flying - Run at lower RPM to keep the same lap times?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 12:14:41 AM »
Since I am running the motor in governor mode I would expect thrust to increase with lower ambient temperatures if RPM are kept constant.  But I would also expect drag to increase as well.  In my mind I figured that the two would even out and that the lap time would not change.

Exactly. However if you check the formula for lift and drag, you will see that they are linear not only to air density but also to lift and drag coefficients. And they will change in cold air. The reason is that cold air makes Reynold number lower. That means (if you check airfoil polar) that lift coefficient is lowering and drag coefficient increasing in cold air. And what is even worse, also critical RE number goes down in cold air, that makes larger part of prop run in overcritical RE number and so it will pull even better.

There is also another thing - typically thin air will make "vacuum feeling" and many flyers like to fly shorter laps in hot or thin air.

And yes, change of lap time is normal, top flyers on large contests practicing early morning and flying contest flights in hot afternoon measure ambient temperature (or also altitude if model is sensitive to that) and adjust RPM regarding temperature (or also altitude). We have program for smartphones for that  S?P

It is tuned for my timer, but all those parameters allow to set it for any timer or ESC.

https://www.facebook.com/363984487112995/photos/a.364101993767911/650808675097240/

also for altitude

https://www.facebook.com/363984487112995/photos/a.364101993767911/653600621484712/

Offline Bill Schluckbier

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 06:08:00 AM »
Igor,

Thank you for your reply.  I started flying C/L once again a few years ago; all of my R/C model are electric so it only seemed natural to also make my C/L electric as well, it is just so much easier.  At any rate, the weather here was unflyable for the better part of October which made the effect of the temperature change really noticeable; went from summer flying to fall flying in one step.  I ended up lowering the RPM by about 150 (on a basis of 8250) and the lap times were closer to what I remembered.

Thank you.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 06:59:25 AM »
Bill,
To add to what Igor said you are picking up about 3.8 - 4% additional pitch efficiency in the colder temperature. If you want to keep the 5.4 lap time you could either reduce the rpm by 4% or decrease the pitch by same (this is a rough starting point and you can fine tune to your ship) or add ~4% to the line length. Some flyers have several sets of lines or different props setup with these small pitch changes (like 0.25"  i.e. 6" to 5.75") to allow the power plant to remain relatively constant as temps change, this works really good with electric as the rpm will be constant.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 07:17:32 AM »
Already Said - Ken

However, this does raise a side question to those of you/us using the Fiorotti timer that requires recalibration after an RPM change.  The instructions say 10 laps.  Can that be accomplished in 5 or 6?  I routinely start my RWO in the 6th lap.  Trim flights at our contests are an impossibility once the contest starts and 10 laps is going to put some judges in a bad mood.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:37:47 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here