News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:06:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cobra vs. BadAss motors  (Read 1895 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cobra vs. BadAss motors
« on: February 05, 2021, 04:27:36 PM »
Has anyone that was running a Cobra (or other brands) motor and switched over to a BadAss motor, what benefits did you see and do you think it was worth the extra money?

From what I understand the BadAss motors should pull stronger through the top of maneuver as it holds rpm better under load than lower cost motors. Also they should pull less mah per flight. What has been your experience?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Cobra vs. BadAss motors
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 07:59:32 AM »
Dennis,
I have used both motors and have put many flights on them. They both perform exceptionally well and very durable. To compare the side by side. Take the 3515 size motors, both the same size and weight. The Badass has more power and the Cobra is a few dollars less. I have both flown them in the same plane and the badass seems to use a little less battery than the cobra. I do have a Cobra 3515 with over 600 hundred flights on it and I have done nothing but oiling the bearing on occasion. I would buy the Badass only cause it has more power at the same weight. Either is a very good product.

My 2 cents
Joe

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 08:25:33 AM »
According to the website, a Cobra 3515 is 6 grams lighter than a BA 3515.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 04:27:47 PM »
I spoke of this in a posting 4/7/2020
https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/shout-out-for-lucien-miller-president-ceo-innov8tive-designs-inc/msg579095/#msg579095

Innov8tive Designs BadAss motors are drop-in replacements for the Cobra motors but are designed with superior magnetic materials and improved bearings.  This should and did result in a significant and measurable improvement in efficiency. 

I did some back to back testing in hopes of not hammering the battery as hard.
Test flights with same airplane, identical RPM, Lap time, run time, prop, battery, etc. and showed this result:

Cobra 2826/12   760 KVA   171 grams     15% Battery voltage post flight
BADASS 2826     690 KVA   180 grams    31% Battery voltage post flight

Inflight performance was the same near as I could detect.

•   I did change the KVA setting in the ESC
•   Motors have the same number of poles (14) and stator slots (12).

I'm looking forward to the longevity that Joe Daly experienced

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 07:46:08 PM »
What sold me was the current capacity of those motors. The 3515-710 is rated at 52 amps steady state, and higher for occasional excesses over the 52.
It also runs very cool (temperature wise)!

I called and talked to the designer. He was very helpful. I also asked about moving the shaft to where I need it. He asked for dimensions and then did it for me at no charge. Very nice.

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 11:35:36 AM »
Based upon Jim Hoffman's data is appears obvious that the Badass motor with the curved magnets and Kawasaki stator is more efficient than the Cobra. That would certainly increase the power and decrease the battery draw. What I am not sure about is the quality of the motor bearings as you can get a new set of two for under $5.00. That low price suggests to me that they are using Chinese bearings rather than the much better quality Japanese, US  or European bearings. While the Chinese bearings are available in very different quality levels and the best quality bearings are not too bad at all they simply do not equate with the higher quality Japanese, US or European ones. What that normally causes is you having to replace the motor bearings sooner. Since the price level of the Badass 28 series motors is pretty good this "con" should not create much of a problem for the sport flyer. For the competition flyer the simple solution is to fly until the battery usage starts to increase, then replace the bearings with higher quality units or go all out and buy Bocca's ceramic bearings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here