News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Climb and Dive Timer New Software Update, v1.3  (Read 1900 times)

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
Climb and Dive Timer New Software Update, v1.3
« on: October 20, 2023, 12:32:07 PM »
A new software update is available for the Climb_and_Dive Timer.  I recently released v1.3 of the program code.  Note: there’s also revisions to some of the pages of the instructions to incorporate the latest developments.  Please have a look through them.

The Software page of the instructions https://circuitflyer.com/Climb_and_Dive/docs/Software.html has all the details of how to download the new code and update your timer.  It’s just a simple drag and drop.

I have been flying and testing most of the Summer to improve the active output of the timer.  For testing purposes I was able to add data logging to one of my timers to collect more quantitative information.  I spent a lot of time trying different filtering of the accelerometer output.  I finally found some improvements by going with a digital low-pass FIR filter.  I also incorporated a method that should help reduce the filtering delay when making a sharp turn upwards from level flight.

The most notable change is the addition of overhead boost to help improve overhead line tension.  The additional RPM comes on at around 45 degrees and peaks directly overhead.  Originally this had a tendency to add to the climb gain setting and result in too much boost.   I have since altered the code to clip the maximum peak off of the climb gain output and now the two functions compliment each other and both work very well together.

One new thing to note: In order for the overhead boost to work properly, the timer needs to record the ‘normal’ centrifugal force during the flight.  This is accomplished during the first 10 seconds after take-off.  Be sure to always keep the airplane straight and level for about 2-1/2 to 3 laps after take-off while it records some data.  Performing this calculation each flight allows you to make changes to the lap time (change props or try different line lengths) without having to go back and adjust any active function settings.

Give this new version a try and let me know what you think.

Full details here:
https://circuitflyer.com/Climb_and_Dive/

The Climb and Dive timer can be ordered here:
https://www.tindie.com/products/circuitflyer/climb_and_dive-an-advanced-control-line-timer/
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Ensign
Re: Climb and Dive Timer New Software Update, v1.3
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 05:53:20 PM »
Hi !!
I Have a question.

Is there any possibility of connecting an external RGB LED to be able to display it externally?

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 08:36:10 PM »
It is certainly a possibility as there are several GPIO pins available to use.  The GPIO pins cannot provide enough current to drive an LED so it would be best to control it through a transistor or similar device.  The best option would be a multicolour addressable LED.  Both options would require additional lines of program code to implement.

So, yes, it's possible but it would take a bit of work.
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 10:14:40 PM »
It is certainly a possibility as there are several GPIO pins available to use.  The GPIO pins cannot provide enough current to drive an LED so it would be best to control it through a transistor or similar device.  The best option would be a multicolour addressable LED.  Both options would require additional lines of program code to implement.

It would be a very good option. thinking mainly that the electronics are inside the fuselage and since it is closed there is no visualization of the main board Led.
Anyway, it's a great timer, thanks

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 07:45:18 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that it is possible to add a light pipe to bring the led to the outside of the fuselage.  Maybe someone remembers this and can give an update on the how-to.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 08:21:16 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that it is possible to add a light pipe to bring the led to the outside of the fuselage.  Maybe someone remembers this and can give an update on the how-to.   D>K
That may have been my post about a year ago on the Fiorotti timer.  I use a "light pipe" to make the led larger by capturing the light that comes from the side of the LED in a plastic tube.  Without it I can't see the LED on a sunny day.  Not a true Pipe and not a solution for a timer without a built in led.  I love the idea of a separate multi color LED on a cable that can be attached to pins on the timer board.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 11:19:59 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 10:11:44 AM »
Inspired by the nice timer of CircuitFlyer, I bought the Seeedstudio XIAO nRF52840 SENSE. It incorporates acceleration sensors and gyros (and a microphone :-)  ).
Using only the acceleration sensors, I wrote an Arduino program that stabilizes the line pull at 3g. No extra settings, only some compensation for tailwind during horizontal flight.
Only extra component is the start button.
[img]https://myalbum.com/photo/Fu7eZjtsSew9/540.jpg/img]
Ground test perfect, flight test when the weather improves.
Ready for comments,

Wolfgang

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2023, 11:55:13 AM »
Should be

Sorry

Offline Miguel Poduje

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2023, 07:14:19 PM »
Hi
I have installed the timer in the vector. I have taken care to have a window to see the LED. But now I have the doubt if it is well positioned.
It is horizontal, with the USB port facing forward. That's right?

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2023, 10:07:17 PM »
Inspired by the nice timer of CircuitFlyer, I bought the Seeedstudio XIAO nRF52840 SENSE. It incorporates acceleration sensors and gyros (and a microphone :-)  ).
Using only the acceleration sensors, I wrote an Arduino program that stabilizes the line pull at 3g. No extra settings, only some compensation for tailwind during horizontal flight.
Only extra component is the start button.
[img]https://myalbum.com/photo/Fu7eZjtsSew9/540.jpg/img]
Ground test perfect, flight test when the weather improves.
Ready for comments,

Wolfgang

I too am interested in Paul's approach and purchased one from him. It's only right as he did the ground work. I'll be ready to fly next week probably.

Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 07:52:48 AM »
Miguel,

It should work well in that position.  You will need to follow the instructions to program the timer how it is mounted in the airplane.
 https://circuitflyer.com/Climb_and_Dive/docs/Programming/Timer%20Mounting%20Position.html 

Wolfgang,

I'm glad I could spark some experimentation and innovation.  I look forward to hearing about your test flights.
Paul Emmerson

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 06:59:00 PM »
It should work well in that position.  You will need to follow the instructions to program the timer how it is mounted in the airplane.

My flying partner flies clockwise rather than the standard counter clockwise direction of flight.  Am I able to reprogram the timer for this direction of flight, or will the timer need to be installed upside down and front to back?

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2023, 08:01:38 AM »
Chris,

Good question.  The answer is that it doesn't make any difference which way you fly.  The active timer works the same whether starting any maneuver from upright or inverted.

The instructions for the mounting orientation of the timer are to make sure the timer knows which accelerometer axis is assigned to the outboard wing tip and which is assigned to the nose of the fuselage.  Other than that, it doesn't care if it flies clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Paul Emmerson

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2023, 08:27:46 PM »

Wonder if these could be used?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 09:59:53 AM »
Wow, those are tiny.  0402 components measure 0.040" x 0.020".  Unfortunately, an LED is an LED, size doesn't matter.  Depending on colour, they usually require 20mA of current to operate at a reasonable brightness.  The datasheet for the microcontroller lists a maximum current for the output pins of 7 to 10mA.  That's why a transistor or similar is suggested to buffer the output pin and supply the drive current for an external LED.

I'm thinking an addressable LED like Adafruit NeoPixels would work the best.  I just ordered some stuff from Adafruit to test out some ideas.  I'll let you know how it goes.  https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=5mm+neopixel
Paul Emmerson

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 08:14:17 PM »
 Here are some directional LEDs from DigiKey that can be seen at 70 feet in direct sunlight.  You can drive them with a 324 op amp.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2023, 09:31:17 PM »
Assembled my timer today, but its intended airplane is not ready yet. Soon

Offline Luke N.

• 24 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2023, 12:28:30 AM »
CircuitFlyer, I used the 6 pin neopixel 5050 rgb led on my timer.  It is very brite !! 4 pins used power, ground, clock, and  data.
The version I used is sk9822 5050 rgb led,  adafruit also has a 4 pin version. I used the circuit python neo pixel library.

Luke

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 09:56:08 AM »
Would the light be on a separate pc board?
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2023, 11:01:29 AM »
Luke:

That's perfect.  Thanks for the info.

Brent:

Yes, it would be separate and wired to the timer.  Adafruit Neopixels are available in a lot of different ways.  As a stand alone 5mm LED https://www.adafruit.com/product/1938  On a very small pcb https://www.adafruit.com/product/1312  On an even smaller pcb https://www.adafruit.com/product/4776  They also have a proper driver circuit mounted on a small pcb if you want to add a bunch of neopixels https://www.adafruit.com/product/5645  They also have a pushbutton mounted on a small pcb with a neopixel on it https://www.adafruit.com/product/5666  There are a lot of possibilities.

Neopixels are pretty cool as you can add more just by daisy chaining them together.  Anyone interested in a splashy stunter complete with nav lights, beacon, strobes and landing lights?
Paul Emmerson

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 11:11:27 AM »
Would the light be on a separate pc board?
A multi color bright LED that I could position separate from the timer would be a huge + to me.  I use the Fiorotti and I can barely see the light on a sunny day with sunglasses.  A color change between segments would be great.  Countdown to start Blue, flying Green and countdown to cutoff red would be my preference.  It would be much easier for me to detect a color change than blinking.  If you include blinking you get 6 options instead of just two.

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 11:21:34 AM »
Neopixels are pretty cool as you can add more just by daisy chaining them together.  Anyone interested in a splashy stunter complete with nav lights, beacon, strobes and landing lights?
How about a cockpit light for the cutoff countdowns.  With the reflectivity of the plastic canopy it would really light things up!
Or a blinking red light on the top of the rudder!  Like I don't have enough do-dads in my planes already?  Nope, always room for one more.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here