News:

• April 23, 2024, 07:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clancy's U/Tronic Controller  (Read 681 times)

Offline Angelo Rosa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Clancy's U/Tronic Controller
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Is it safe to power Mr. Clancy's U/tronic device with a 2s lipo pack (7.4V)?

All the best,

Angelo

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Clancy's U/Tronic Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
I suspect no.  But a 7.4V pack plus a BEC should work great.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »
The Clancy unit is a simple 555 Timer chip - can handle up to 15v.  But it feeds the voltage directly to the servo without any regulator, so your servo's need to be able to handle up to 7.4 volts.  I run  servo's off a radio receiver with 2 LiFe's (6.6 volts, nominal but 7.2 volts when fully charged) with no problems.  Most modern servo's are rated to 7.4 volts anyway, but some of the real cheap ones (like 10 for $15) have spec's that say 4.8-6.0 volts.  So check your servo specs or get more modern servo's.

(Should have specified that the Single Channel unit is a simple 555.  The multi-channel ones would have different spec's of course and I've not seen anything on those -- Unfortunely, Clancy has not been on here in a while, but he does have a thread in the Vendor's area under "U/Tronics Control") 

I hesitate to post other peoples email addresses, so if you  want Clancy's from my address book, PM me.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:20:19 AM »
A further update -- Have looked at the construction articles Clancy published in Model Aviation and the multi-channel unit is also constructed from IC's that are rated to 15v supply voltage.  The airborne decoder unit uses a 4017 cmos decade counter.  So with either unit, the main consideration would be the servo ratings.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here