News:

• April 24, 2024, 12:04:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Check the tightness of the motor set screws  (Read 555 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Check the tightness of the motor set screws
« on: May 25, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »
Guys,
One thing that always concerned me with electric is that the motor shaft/can is held on with set screws. My concern stems from experience with the K&B 35 Series 61. I bought this motor looking of power. Several guys in our club bought them, they were a great looking motor, high quality, all machined surfaces - no gaskets. The engine was twin ball bearing with the drive washer being held on the shaft with a single setscrew, similar to the Dooling 29. It had lots of power and high rpm for rat racing however, if you ran a 10x6 Top Flite prop for combat you could lose the front end of the engine. On mine I caught it before the shaft failed. What happened was the setscrew cut the shaft completely around it until it cut through and failed.

This brings me to the electric motor issue. On a whim I check the set screw on my Turnigy 3542 -1000 that I have been flying for several years in my Still Stuka. To my surprise I got more then 1/8 a turn tight down on the shaft setscrew. This motor only has one setscrew that holds the can to the shaft, this was a little concerning. Has anyone found anything similar?

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here