News:

• May 06, 2024, 07:47:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Charging LiPo  (Read 591 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Charging LiPo
« on: December 19, 2007, 12:24:22 PM »
I'm using a 3S X 800 mAh LiPo and charging with a Kokam charge unit.  The newer LiPo batteries have a separate connector with "balance" wiring.  Now I understand how this works, but not sure what advantages the "balanced" charge offers.  I'm considering a larger electric rig so am in the market for another LiPo batery.  Is it worthwhile to buy the separate "balancing" unit (to use with my present charger) and a battery with the balance wiring?

Floyd Carter
Eugene, OR
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dean Pappas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Charging LiPo
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:56:30 PM »
Hi Floyd,
The short answer is safety. If one cell should age more than the others and loose capacity as compared to its pack-mates, then it is possible to overcharge some cells and undercharge others when charging the pack to a finish voltage of "N" times 4.2 Volts. What if thre of four cells in the pack ends up at 4.1V and one ends up at 4.5? It's called venting with flame. :X

The balancing is not needed after the cell has been discharged, but rather during and especially toward the end of charging. For this reason, purpose-built balancing chargers are preferrable, but not mandatory. Chargers with separate balancers work fine, provided they are of the type that has a connection to the charger, allowing it to either throttle back or disable the charger if the balancer is overwhelmed. Typically these work by shunting some fixed or maximum charging current "around" the cell and if that current is less than the charging current then bad imbalances will cause this condition. I like the FMA chargers, myself.

take care,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here