News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Charger with voltage set point  (Read 482 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Charger with voltage set point
« on: December 15, 2022, 08:56:17 AM »
One of the inconveniences with electric is needing to plan when your going to fly, charge the packs ahead of time, only to have the weather turn and not be able to fly all the packs out. Would like a charger that would allow charging to a voltage point of say 85% that you could plug-in in the morning  for say 15 - 20 minutes and be good to go, or top off at the field as needed. This way if they had to sit for a few days they wouldn't puff from being at full charge.

Any chargers that do this?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Charger with voltage set point
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 01:28:58 PM »
Many chargers have a selectable cut off voltage for charge.  The TP Quad charger does if you are looking for a charger. 

The wait for charging is not always linear to the amount of MAH put in.  The end of the charge balancing and inherent slow down for balancing makes the end of the cycle long.  Meaning, 20% in and balance will be shorter than 50% in and balancing, but not always as short as you might guestimate.  It somewhat depends on the batteries.  Some chargers are able to balance well during the charge, and others more at the end.

Some chargers have storage charge at about 40%, and others over 50%.  Some allow you to set the storage voltage, and then you can have storage at about 60%, still reasonable.  I think that you are not going to change the default Storage voltage function, but use the Balance Charge function to try for about 80%.  I am just clarifying, because the Storage function can bring batteries up or down to the set voltage, but you may not be able to change Storage that much.

Look at the manuals to pick the charger that will allow you to set the cutoff and be sure to check low you can go.  Look for cutoff voltage, or end battery voltage.  The TP Quad goes down to 4.00 volts which is about where you will want to go.  You can pick the voltage by trying 4.00 and then checking the %charge after a couple minutes rest off charge and then adjust accordingly.

They probably won't puff from sitting at full charge, but it may shorten the battery life or number of cycles, especially if you forget and leave them at full charge until you get the next chance to fly.
Fred

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 08:58:34 AM »
You can do that by selecting a different type of cell to charge; always use an option that allows for balancing.  Typically we use the LiPo setting but if you use the Lion setting you will end up around 4 volts per cell after charging.  Make sure to read your manual to make sure that what I am saying is correct.  Once at the field you will need to make sure that the charger is set-up correctly to finish the charge. 

With this many steps involved I am pretty sure that a mistake will be made at some point (either wrong setting on the charger or taking off with a partially charged pack).  In my experience, I keep packs fully charged and ready to go during the flying season and only take them down to a storage voltage when I know the flying season is over.  Packs typically last 2 to 3 seasons depending on how many cycles they get each season.

Good luck,

Teo

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 09:52:32 AM »
Teo,
I like this idea, don't have to buy new charger. The way I keep track of the fully charged packs is to have green tape on one end and red on the other. I keep them in an amo box with separators and have the fully charged ones with the green facing up and depleted with the red facing up. Also could check the voltage to make sure they are fully charged.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here