News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:41:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CG for Brodak Electric Clown  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
CG for Brodak Electric Clown
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
I seem to have misplaced the instruction booklet that came with my Brodak electric Clown, and need to know the balance point.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Best regards,

Brew

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
Re: CG for Brodak Electric Clown
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 05:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the help; I'll have to guess.

Brew

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
Looking at the Brodak sight  it looks like the Clown has a straight wing.  So reason says that you set the CG someways between the high point of the wing and the leading edge.  A CG near the leading edge will give a safe first flight.  From there you can move it back till you are happy with how it turns.  All of my aircraft balance just forward of the high point of the wing.  Seem to work.  You could call Brodak.  They have really good customer support.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:32:47 PM »
Hi Harold

Just saw your post.  Dug out an assembly manual, that sez the target CG is 1 7/8" back of the leading edge.  I never measured my two, just assembled them and went flying - the balance came out good naturally.

Here's a couple pix of motor & installation.  I used the pocket in the fuselage to stuff all the excess wiring into, then still added a foam pad to get the ESC just above the surface for cooling.  This one shows the timer held on with two screws, but the other one I built (and almost all of my profiles) I attached the timer with some double-sticky sided foam tape.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
Dennis -

Thanks for the information.  I compared the moment of the Clown to that of my Flight Streak and found them to be similar.  I applied the 1 5/8 inch balance point of the Flite Streak to the Clown.  Had to add almost three ounces to get it to reasonably balance at that point.  I have been having issues with the plane overcontrolling, especially when doing consecutive loops, with the loops getting very tight.  The plane also stalls very easily when performing loops that are lower that 45 degrees, hence the concern that my problem might be a tail heavy issue.

Best regards,

Harold Brewer

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
Dennis -

Thanks for the information.  I compared the moment of the Clown to that of my Flight Streak and found them to be similar.  I applied the 1 5/8 inch balance point of the Flite Streak to the Clown.  Had to add almost three ounces to get it to reasonably balance at that point.  I have been having issues with the plane overcontrolling, especially when doing consecutive loops, with the loops getting very tight.  The plane also stalls very easily when performing loops that are lower that 45 degrees, hence the concern that my problem might be a tail heavy issue.

Best regards,

Harold Brewer

Is it possible to move the battery forward?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here