News:

• May 22, 2024, 10:00:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cellpro charger readings  (Read 431 times)

Offline bfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Cellpro charger readings
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »
OK, here's one for those of you who know (I hope) how the Cellpro 4 charger works.

I have been keeping track of the power used on my 15 carrier plane for each flight. After the flight I hook up the battery to my Cellpro 4 charger and take some readings. I record the voltage of the cells as read by the charger. Then I record total energy put back into the battery at 100% charge. I have been keeping track of the flight times and speeds too so that I can get a feel for what I am using depending on the high and the low speed times.

The question is when I initially hook up the battery to the charger it gives me a reading for % of charge left. It usually reads 20 to 24% initially and then drops down over the next minute or so to anywhere from 10 to 15%. Voltage readings are typically 3.7V. I then charge to 100%. For a typical flight with the initial readings I just gave, I put back in about 1800mah on a 2600mah pack. That translates to about 70% usage. So the charger is giving me some conflicting information, 10% remaining versus the 70% that really  gets back into the battery. I realize that the % charge left must be calculated by the charger based on some parameter measured off the battery (either voltage or current related). Does anyone know how the Cellpro calculates the charge level? A follow on question is how does it measure the voltage? I assume 3.7 volts is no load voltage and would be lower if it is measured with the motor running. Is that accurate? If so how could I measure the voltage under load at the end of the flight? I have a wattmeter that reads V and current draw. If I hook up the wattmeter after the flight and give the motor a quick power up would that give me better voltage numbers?

I'm just trying to get a better handle on the amount of energy I use and how best to measure it.

Thanks

Bob Frogner

Alan Hahn

Re: Cellpro charger readings
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »
Bob,
I don't know for sure, but I think it is just using the unloaded voltage to calibrate the % remaining. For this it uses some standard Lipo curve relating capacity remaining vs unloaded pack voltage. So if the actual lipo volts vs capacity curve has changed a bit over time (as the manufacturers make subtle changes in the battery itself, this "gas gauge" may be slightly off, especially when you are down in the lower ranges.

I see sort of the same thing as you. The initial calculation when I plug it in is in the 20-24% range, but if I look a while, it drops. I am not sure what is going on here, except maybe the charger is actually doing a little discharge as it tries to figure out the cell capacity (to calculate the current it wants to put back in at a 1 or 2 C charge rate. However I am not sure at all about this. I basically just look at what it puts back (70-75%) in and compare that the first value--and it isn't that far off.

One thing to remember is that the pack capacity you know is what the manufacturer claims when they make it. That capacity begins to drop off as a function of age and our "abuse". For example when we calculate that 70% being put back in, we make the calculation by dividing the mAHr put back in by the original capacity. That tends to underestimate how much we have taken out (% wise) of the older and used pack. So what I am saying is that your original 2600 mAHr pack might now be a 2400 mAHr pack.

As regards to the voltage under load, the only way to get that would be to put a data logger on the plane as it is flying. Then you can see what the pack is supplying under "real" conditions.

The other way is to put on a wattmeter and simulate the power loads. It is a bit tricky for an event like carrier where you really pour the coals on at the beginning, and then go into slow flight, with occasion bursts of power. So you could try what you suggest--blip the power with a watt meter attached after a typical flight.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Cellpro charger readings
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »
Bob,

I see the same thing you describe with my Cellpro 4 and have nothing much to add to what Alan has to say. As long as the final after flight voltage is reasonable and the Cellpro tells me it is putting back a reasonable amount (%) of the capacity of the pack, I don't worry about it. Course I'm not flying Carrier either.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here