News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:41:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CC45 set up for "fixed" rpm  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
CC45 set up for "fixed" rpm
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:56:51 AM »
Guys,

Wanted to try a new set up in Fixed rpm mode on the CC45 with the new firmware. As I understand it you set it for control line then set the desired rpm for a given throttle setting. There are two set points allowed. My thought is to set say 8400rpm for up to 20% throttle (on my set up that is about a 5.4 lap time, 64.5' lines) then set to flight rpm of 8900 through 100%. On the Ztron I will set motor start to say 15% and motor end to 100%. The hope is to start off with a little lower amp draw during take-off and level then start to move up to flight rpm. Do I understand how this option works correctly?

Best,     Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: CC45 set up for "fixed" rpm
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »
Guys,

I started to set up the "Fixed RPM" mode and found that my original approach wouldn't do what I thought it would. The CC firmware has three set points. 0 to 50% throttle, 50 through 99% the above 99%. I change my approach by setting the Ztron Motor Start speed to 48% and the Motor End speed to 52%. I set the 0 to 50% throttle rpm to 8600 and the 50 to 99% to 8900 and the 99%+ to 8950rpm. This should give a little more punch as I get to the vertical maneuvers and the clover. With the hurricanes around the area in FL the winds have been to gusty to test fly I hope to get a break sometime during the week. Ground test has it holding the set rpm.

Best,       Dennis

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »
Dennis,
have you had a chance to play with your setup lately? I am sitting here debating on how to set mine up. I have a P-40 profile with an AXI 28/26-10 (same as Rudy uses) CC speed controler, and I have both the ztron and JMP timers. The Ztron looks easier to setup, but it has been reccomended to use the JMP. I think the ztron would work pretty smooth with the fixed rpm setup.
couple questions, do I understand correctly that the fixed  rpm mode will act the same as the govenor setup?
and are you setting your rpm by using a tach, or is it based on the rpm setting in the CC software? I thought I read somewhere that the rpm setting in the CC software does not neccessarly relate to actual rpms because of the difference in the motor setups or something.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:30:04 AM »
Mark,
A nice feature about the "Fixed RPM" Governor mode in the CC ESC is you just type in the rpm you want for three throttle ranges. The ranges are for throttle settings less than 50%, then for greater than 50% but less than 99%, and finally for 100% throttle. Then depending on how your timer is running the throttle value the ESC will fix on one of the 3 values (you could set them all to be the same value.

I do something similar to Dennis. For <50% I set 7000 rpm. For >50% I set 7950 rpm. Then I setup the timer to have a first flight time of ~20s with throttle=~48% (this would be a "24" on the Ztron I think). Then I set the final throttle to be 100%. After the first 20 seconds of flying, the timer begins to linearly increase the throttle setting. As it turns out, it crosses the 50% threshold on about the fourth level lap after takeoff, and then the motor rpm jumps up to 7950, a lap before the wingover. So I get a nice relaxed throttle for a smooth (in principle!) takeoff and first two level laps, and then I go to my normal rpm level for the rest of the flight.

The JMP-2 and Ztron work about the same here, so it doesn't really matter which one you choose (as I recall).

It is true with the old governor modes, you had to play around with the timer to get the rpm you wanted, but the new mode is a lot easier. Except that you still need to find the rpm you like to fly with. And a downside is that you need to have a computer to change the rpm setpoint values. The old modes you could do it in the timer. Of course at first you could set two rpm values around where you want to be in the ESC . With the timer set in the low throttle range, fly and see how you like it. Then set to a higher range and try that. At least you can get two shots at hitting the right value.

After you find the rpm, then you can start playing the tricks like I am.

Advertise Here
Tags: ESC  CC 

Advertise Here