News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:45:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CC Link Phoenix 45 - Governor gain  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
CC Link Phoenix 45 - Governor gain
« on: August 07, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
Guys,
I updated my CC Link to 3.255 and decided to adjust the Governor Gain to the Outrunner setting (motor is AXI 2826-10), motor timing is at 8 (unchanged). Did a static run and the motor started to surge. Reset to Medium 25 did test all was good,  rpm was up from the original setting (12) but amps were down to 33.5 from 34.8. I thought this would be a good set up. Flew it today and was supprized that in flight the motor had a high pitched ringing whine to it that I never noticed before. Second the ship was slower 5.2 sec lap vs 5.0 with the lower gain. Motor temp was a little higher at 149F vs 145F. Now this leads me to believe that although the static test showed lower amps in flight the load must cause some slip in the motor and thus added heat and lower lap time?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Best,             DennisT

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: CC Link Phoenix 45 - Governor gain
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:59:56 AM »
I would say that motor timing should be somewhere at 15-20 what is still relatively conservative, Model motrors (AXI) recommends 20 and more.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:31:04 AM »
Too high setting on governor gain will cause that symptom.  I use a setting of "10" which is a custom setting slightly lower than the Low setting (14?)

If your governor setting is the same as it was before the software I cannot explain why it only showd up now...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »
Dennis/Igor
Could one or both of you give a brief explanation of "governor mode" and "motor advance" settings.  I understand the use of advance and retard on gas and glow engines but don't understand it relationship to electric motors.  I don't have a clue what governor mode does at all.
Thanks in Advance
Andy Borgogna
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
I have only very little experience with CC, but I will try:

Governor is a system which has to keep cosnstan RPM by managing the input power.

It is some kind of regulation system with feedback, and thus it can come to troubles like too slow regulation or oscillation (overregulation). Proper regulation depends on mass inetria on shaft, what is big problem os Helis, wrom which we got governors, so ESCs has typically setting for speed or gain of regulation depending of attached prop. Means you have to keep gain or speed of regulation as stron/quick as possible, but no more than speed/gain where system oscillates (unting rpm). For example Jeti Spin has something called "sensitivity" and we use value 1 - what means quickest regulation.

Timing has nothing to do with governor, it changes commutation. ESC does function of commutator known from DC motors. That commutation can be in some cases few degrees earlier, just to force current in winding earlier than magnets come, what allows higher power (higher RPM) on cost of little lower efficiency. The advance depends on winding inductance and every producer recommends optimal value. Optimal means good power, but not yet too low efficiency.

Wrong timing can sometimes cause lost of synchronization between rotor and virtual commutator (in the program) and it can happen typically when timing is out or usefull values.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »

Thanks in Advance

Or, as they say in London, "Thanks in advance, Gov'nor."
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
Thank you Igor for your response.  I very much appreciate your explanation.

You wrote It is some kind of regulation system with feedback.  Since there is no feedback between the ESC and the timer I assume you mean some kind of internal feedback within the ESC.  Since this function was designed for Heli operation I will again assume the intent is to keep the main rotor rotating at a  constant speed under various loads.   I think I understand how we might make use of this given the changes in load on the motor depending on what the plane is doing and the desire to keep our planes flying at a constant speed.  The concept sounds much like the way a pipe is used to control engine RPMs in the piped stunt planes.

Given that the mass of our prop is much less than the mass of a Heli main rotor again I will assume this is why we have oscillation problems.  The current designs depend on the inertia generated by the mass of the Heli main rotor to dampen the oscillations.

Igor am I any where near understanding this subject correctly?  If not please let me know.

Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:13:06 AM »
You wrote It is some kind of regulation system with feedback.  Since there is no feedback between the ESC and the timer I assume you mean some kind of internal feedback within the ESC.  Since this function was designed for Heli operation I will again assume the intent is to keep the main rotor rotating at a  constant speed under various loads.   I think I understand how we might make use of this given the changes in load on the motor depending on what the plane is doing and the desire to keep our planes flying at a constant speed.  The concept sounds much like the way a pipe is used to control engine RPMs in the piped stunt planes.

Yes, since the ESC does virtual commutator, it knows motor RMP, it knows also wanted RPM from setting and pulse width from timer, so it is easy to compare those two values and modify input power. You can even see that input power on CC log as a percentage of full power.

Given that the mass of our prop is much less than the mass of a Heli main rotor again I will assume this is why we have oscillation problems.  The current designs depend on the inertia generated by the mass of the Heli main rotor to dampen the oscillations.

I am not sure if lighter prop is difficult to stabilize, but for sure, difference of those two props can lead to differente handling, but I think CC software in C/L mode has some modifications (and may be not, I do not know too much about CC). But I know that for example Jeti spin works well with value 3 on helis, while we use value 1 (quickest setting, which oscillates on large heli) for c/l props and I do not see any ill effects like hunting/oscillation or slow reactions.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:42 AM »
Igor
Thank you so much for your help.  You and others on the site are a wealth of knowledge in electric world.  I really appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.
Andy Borgogna
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
Igor,
I checked the AXI site and they list the setting for a Jet ESC as: timing 24, Freq 8 kHz. It seems their timing is what CC calls PWM and the Freq is the motor timing (normal is set to 5). The governor gain is not addressed so the question is what is a good ESC starting setting?

Best,             DennisT

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »
I THINK (once again, I have only short experience with CC)

jeti setting "Freq" is on CC called PWM rate.
Jeti has only 8 and 32kHz, so that is why they recommend 8. Jeti and Axi are born together, and they are testet together, so that is why they show settings for Jeti ESC. I think 12kHz on CC will work well.

jeti setting timing 24 deg seems to be equivalent of CC "Motor timing". But CC has values like "normal=5". I think they have hidde real degrees and may be also some spool up tricks inside that setting.

and jeti setting "sensitivity" in numbers 1, 2, 3, ... will cover CC settings "governor gain" and "head speed change rate"
I use quickes setting "1" on jeti spin. But I have no idea about CC. Head speed change is probably irrelevant on constant RPM setup.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:05:31 PM »
... The concept sounds much like the way a pipe is used to control engine RPMs in the piped stunt planes. ...
Andy
Hi Andy,
So how is the governor different than a pipe? Oh boy ... Here goes.

If you were to draw the torque vs RPM plot for a good piped setup, you will find a steep "dropping" slope in the neighborhood of the desired flying RPM. How steep? Almost twice as steep as a normally aspirated engine's torque/RPM curve. That still isn't very steep!

The governor turns that torque vs RPM curve into a near vertical cliff at the "set" RPM. Unfortunately this description ignores the "less than instantaneous" behavior of the governor in the first several tenths of a second after the propeller load suddenly changes, but that is where the first set of tweaks and adjustments live.

After that governor optimization is done, then the next level is to be found in providing smarter horsepower. Constant RPM is dumb but trustworthy!
until later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
After that governor optimization is done, then the next level is to be found in providing smarter horsepower. Constant RPM is dumb but trustworthy!
Don't ask me how I found out..... ;)
With me in the middle of my sabbatical ( on flying that is...) I only provide occasional hardware-solutions assistance to Erik, who is doing all the testing.
But the setup in his old 1994 Shanghai model shows steady progress towards un-dumbing......
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »
That could have something to do with how clever a fellow Erik is!
Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags: ESC 

Advertise Here