News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:58:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CC ESC set up information  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
CC ESC set up information
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »
Guys,
I asked Castle tech support about setting up the CC ESC for the Plettenberg motors since there seemed to be some question about using the Castle with this motor. They responded as follows:

"For setting to correct PWM for the motor use this formula – Motor Kv x Magnetic Pole Count of the Motor x Nominal Volts used then divide by a factor of 20. Round the answer down to the nearest setting on the Motor Tab of the Castle Link. For timing I always start at low & work up according to temp readings. If we get to high it will show up in temp.
Now for setting up the set RPM mode check out this doc here: http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/set_rpm_governor_mode.pdf

The above doc was written for setting up a heli but the principal & info you need to enter will be exactly the same. Take note of the Desired head speed boxes & the Info tab beside them. For the best efficiency if you can prop & get the speed to equal about 90% in the Info box that will give you very good temps, flight time & performance."

This seems to be good information for any motor not just the Plettenberg's.

Best,         DennisT

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: CC ESC set up information
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »
...or just use Set RPM mode which in my experience works equally well with 14 pole, 10 pole, 6 pole or 4 pole inrunners, outrunners, or hyrid motors...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
Now, it's been a LONG time since I went to school and my brain hurts whenever I have to do any thinking.   :-[  :'( ;D

So what is a "factor of 20"?

I can do the first bit, that's easy.......930(kv) x 10(poles) = 9300.
9300 x 14.8(volts) = 137,640.....now what?

I can't just divide by 20, I get 6882.

As I said, it's been a LONG time.........help!!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:23:37 PM by Russell Bond »
Bandolero

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »
Russ,
From how I read it you did it correct. One thing it seems you need to divide by 1000. Now go to the CC link software (for the Phoenix series) and go to the "motor" tab, this calc gives you a starting point to set the PWM round up to the nearest setting in the drop down box (in your case 8). Set the timing to normal and adjust from there.

Best,      DennisT

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »
Dennis,
 I've done both bench testing and in the air testing with castle controllers and Pletts and I've learned some interesting things. First of all,While you can run it in Low Gov Mode I don't recommend it as the throttle curve is too steep and each setting moves it about 300 rpm  so the tweak factor is out. If you are using a Hubin FM-9 it needs to be set in Jeti-Spin Mode and tached to within 300 of your desired RPM. For PWM I've used 16 as that is the closest to the Shulze of 19. The best way to control it is in "Set Rpm mode" as it seems to allow for fine adjustment. The real best solution is using the Shulze controller which is matched to those motors.
AMA 98010

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
Yes, I tried to run my Plettenburg on PWM of 8 and it had a horrible electronic vibration that blew the prop loose.
I am running on 16 and a friend of mine is using 12, both with no problems. We are using Hubin timers and CC ESCs.

(I still don't understand exactly what PWM is, but while it is working I guess I don't need to know....I hope!)  :-[

BTW, on a very warm day (30c) the hottest part of the motor gets to 70c and the ESC gets to 75c. ~^
Bandolero

Advertise Here
Tags: ESC 

Advertise Here