News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:45:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CC esc not recognizing new Zigras timer  (Read 2934 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
CC esc not recognizing new Zigras timer
« on: May 12, 2007, 09:39:54 PM »
Rick Sawicki and I spent a very frustrating day yesterday trying to get the Castle Creations phoenix 45 timer to recognize the new Zigras timer power inputs. We did not succeed. It sees the timer for the length of the flight. But we could not find any combination of programing the new timer or the esc in different modes that would recognize the timer's input. We are not even sure the timer is working correctly becuase the only thing we have seen so far is 100% power coming from the system. We tried heli and standard airplane mode and got no response. Any chance the current CC program is the issue? Anyone else having an issue?

Bob Branch

Alan Hahn

Re: CC esc not recognizing new Zigras timer
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 10:24:18 PM »
Have you tried hooking up the timer to a servo and see it move with respect to the power settings? You would need a y extension cable in order to attach a 4.8V rc receiver battery to power the timer.

It does sound like the timer has issues, since it can power the motor on and off, so the pulses must be sent to the CC ESC.

This is the way I check out the JMP-2 timer settings (recommended by manufacturer) with my CC ESC. I think I have the latest firmware update in it.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 11:35:58 PM »
Alan

We set up a power meter in line and found no changes from the timer no mater how we programed it. We were wondering if the directions for programming the timer were wrong cause it seemed like no mater what we did we still only got 100% power.

bob

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 08:39:26 AM »
Bob,
   You are the second person I have heard this from. Please send Sergio an e-mail explaining the situation. It sounds like some may have got shipped out with faulty programs.

Mike

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »
Talk to Sergio,
I'm sure he'll fix it quickly.
The timer is not making a short enough pulse after start-up for the ESC to recognize a valid low/stop throttle.
Did you hear the second "I am armed" set of beeps? I'll bet not. This is where a servo pulse meter is a valuable item.
You can even use it to see at which pulse width the ESC reecognizes the arming throttle position.

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »
Dean

You are right, most of the time no second set of beeps, but sometimes we did get some but with no difference. What is Sergio's email?

Bob Branch

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »
Dean,

I have learned to listen for the "FULL" bugle call after the battery is plugged in.  Anything less.  You have got a problem. 

linheart

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 04:08:34 PM »
I Have already written Sergio.
Back when I was a teenager, he lived and worked near my neighborhood. We flew together in the swamp maybe 6 or 7 miles due West of Manhattan.
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 10:13:58 PM »
Bob,
   Sergio's e-mail is on the timer instructions. I sent him an e-mail just after I posted in this thread the first time. Dean already sent him an e-mail also, so I think you are in good hands.

Mike

Offline pete beddows

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »
just a question about the timer will there be a retract program incorporated as i am thinking of trying electric and this would be a cool and move weight inboard .
              thanking you Pete Beddows.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 04:22:57 PM »
I can't say about the Zigras timer, but the JMP-2 has this functionality (retractable landing gear).

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 05:07:58 PM »
Version 2 and 3 of the Z-Tron timer have the ability to operate retracts.

Mike

Offline pete beddows

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »
thank you for your reply s  i will get a zigras mk 3 i have been looking at hxt motors the one i am interested in is similar to the axi 2826  the sepcs are 900kv and it is most efficient around 24/30 amps
they do a programmable esc for this motor it goes up to 40 amps will this be enough head room i was thinking of using 4s 4000 lipoly is this about right i am just dipping my toe into electrics at the moment
not ready to jump just yet.
                          thank you for your help Pete Beddows.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »
Do not expect to fly in heli govenor mode with the Zigras. Castle Creations has changed their software and it currently does not work. Rich Sawicki and Sergio Zigras are working hard to solve it but as of this moment it is not there yet.

Bob Branch

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi Bob,
   Both Jack Weston and I are using the Version 3 Z-Tron timer in high RPM gov. mode with some success. The timer does not work in the normal manner (ex. 40 binary = 80% throttle), but if you cut back to about 1/4 throttle (20 binary ~ 80% throttle) it works well enough to get by. I use this timer on my ARF P-40 with an AXI 2826/10, 4S lipo, CC-45, and an APC-E 11x5.5 set at 20 binary or about 80% throttle (I think I tached it at 9,800rpm?). Jack uses a very similar setup in his ARF Vector. We are both flying on .018 x 63 foot lines eyelet to eyelet. By trying different version of the beta ware from CC your results may vary. 

This information is offered only to help anyone who is having trouble with their timer to get by, not to say you are wrong and the timer does in fact work. Hopefully the problem is taken care of in the next few weeks. I will post any news if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Mike 

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 01:04:37 PM »
Hi Gang,
I haven't gotten a good sense of closure on this issue.
Are folks getting their setups to work, once the throttle percentages are set correctly?

Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »
Hi Dean,
   The issue stems from the CC arming sequence. Sergio and I talked with Patrick Castillo at the NEAT Fair. We found the problem to be the various software offered by castle on their web site and in their ESC's. Depending which version you have will depict wether or not the timer will arm the ESC. The arming pulse length required varies from beta version to beta version (CC Software), however the Z-Tron timer does not. This makes the Z-Tron timer only compatible with some CC ESC's unless you download the newest beta version.

Patrick said in the next few months there will be a new beta version released that will fix the arming issues and also give us the governor/break combo we all desire.

As of right now the Z-Tron timer will work with the CC ESC's with the correct software beta version. When using governor mode you will be running the throttle around 20-30%. Sergio and I had planned on finding the issue and fixing it (try to fix it), but since this new information was brought to our attention we have decided not to make a move until CC releases the latest and greatest software.

Mike   

Alan Hahn

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 09:00:36 AM »
Mike,
Do you have the CC Beta version number that works? My CC ESC has recently been uploaded with the latest firmware as of a couple of weeks ago).
The reason I ask is that currently I am "JMP-2"-less!. I zapped my original one when I carelessly plugged it into the battery incorrectly during a programming attempt (zap!), and the JMP-2 I just bought doesn't work for some reason (not the same reason as the original, I put on my spectacles now before I plug in the timer!). I contacted the supplier and he tells me that JMP-2 is currently "not available", but it will be back in November, when my 2nd one can be fixed or replaced. I hope this is true since I like the JMP2.

However I still need a timer NOW, so I was thinking about buying a Zigras, since it is the only one I know that is available now and with a "reasonable" price (reasonable=my budget!). However I would like it to work with my controller.

I am even considering going Igor B's route and rolling my own, but I would like to get a flight or two on the new bird before the icy weather begins to close in on me. I have no idea how long it would take me to go make my own, but I have registered with the chip manufacturer so I could buy a few of that PIC controllers. The way I blew my JMP2 timer, maybe it would be a good idea to have a few more cheapie timers available. There is always the long winter to work on electronics. However $30 is a pretty good deal for the commercial timers I think.

Now on a completely different subject, do you think that Brodak might give us a little more info on his ESC so that I could at least attach another timer to it? I don't expect governor mode of course, but the original JMP-2 would have worked pretty nice with the ESC if only we knew how to talk to the ESC....

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 03:55:21 PM »
Alan,
   When I get home tonight I will check on the Beta version I am using with the version 3 Z-Tron timer. I will also ask for more info on the Brodak ESC, but getting answers from the engineers in China can be tough! ???  All we need to know is the sequence needed to arm the ESC. This may however require new software for the Brodak ESC or for the JMP or Z-Tron timer. Either way something will need a change.

Mike

Alan Hahn

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 08:31:39 PM »
Mike,
I was thinking it might be easier to plug the Brodak timer on a scope, turn it on, and see what it does. Then try to do the same thing. If Igor's timer isn't too hard to make, then adapting it to the Brodak ESC might be the way to go. Of course the Brodak WSC could really be differerent, but isn't too hard for me to try.

I just had a couple of "great" ideas---I hooked up the Brodak timer to my JMP-2 servo setup. However I was surprised that the servo didn't budge. I am guessing the timer output isn't what I would call a "standard pulse width setup like a RC receiver gives-- and is equivalent to what a "normal" esc expects to see when hooked up to the throttle output of the receiver or a timer like the jmp2 or ztron.

Then I simply hooked at the Brodak timer output on the signal wire (the white wire on a Futaba servo lead) to a multimeter. I measured what looked like was just the dc battery voltage both before and after pushing the on button. So whatever the Brodak ESC/timer system is doing, it certainly doesn't look like an arming issue----darn!, I was hoping to have a simple setup for smaller CL planes. Maybe I will try to hook this up to a scope tomorrow at work and see what is actually going on. I did just verify that when I hooked up the Brodak timer to the Brodak ESC on the Super Clown, that the system was still working.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 10:12:33 PM »
Alan,
   I am not fortunate enough to have a scope. :(  I could get access to one if I HAD to, but it wouldn't be as convenient as owning one. Let us know what you find.

Mike 

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 01:10:53 AM »
Program to my timer is free available, you want, I can make few PICs and send it to someone who can then sent further, but really, sending one chip to US is out of sence

connecting chip to connector is easy and shown on pictures.

And one hint for users of Jeti SPIN ESC - the prog box for ESC is able to show pulse width from any timer or servo tester and it is also servo tester itself, so it can be used to test any other ESC.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 08:16:08 AM »
I just looked at the signal from the Brodak timer on an oscilloscope, and I think it is relatively hopeless to do anything (from a hobbyist perspective). Rather than the RC hobby standard of a 50 Hz repetition rate approximately square positive pulse varying from ~1ms to 2ms in width, the Brodak timer is running what looks to be a  serial encoded signal at a 10Hz rate. The encoding is contained within a 1ms window. The pulses which make up the encodingwithin the 1ms period are 25 microseconds negative going, with . The only difference I see between on and off throttle is a 25 microsecond shift in the last of ~10 pulses. It is possible that only on and off are possible (but I am guessing probably not).
Anyway my feeling is that RC standard ESC's are too cheap to spend much time trying to figure this one out. Oh well!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
Getting back to the original thread (or at least close to it), I was able to borrow an AstroFlight Servo tester. I hooked it up to my CC ESC. I have my ESC setup in low governor mode. So on the bench, in order to get to the 9500 to 10k rpm level on my Scorpion 3020-10 motor (nominally similar to the AXI 2820 family), I need to input a ~1.36 ms pulse width from the servo tester. This represents, I think, about a 36 % throttle setting.

So what I am saying, is that the low throttle setting is a "feature" of the ESC firmware, not the Ztron. So I worry that since the throttle settings are discrete on the digital timers like the JMP-2 and Ztron, that the rpm jump between adjacent "clicks" will be too coarse to get a good throttle setting.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 12:21:38 PM »
Yes, Alan
The timer we worked up for Hunt is adjustable in 4 micro-second clicks. (0.004 milli-seconds)
We have never run into a problem with the clicks being too large, but we do occasionally make a 1-click adjustment just to get things right, so I suspect we've got it right.

The timer is being updated with a "tweak" that will allow you to make speed adjustments on the circle without resorting to re-programming.
It really will be available for sale soon. Test prototypes of the revised circuit are being made right now.

Regards All,
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here