News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:11:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CC 45 Phoenix ESC set up with Ztron II timer & programing  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
CC 45 Phoenix ESC set up with Ztron II timer & programing
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:07:22 PM »
I am getting started on the test ship installation of the A123 battery, AXI2820/8, Ztron II timer, CC 45 Phoenix ESC. Looking over the instructions for the CC 45 it seems that there is some programing that must be done for ECL. I want to use a soft start and governor mode to hold about 10K rpm. I did a search on the site and it didn't have much except for noting a problem setting up the CC 45 to work with the Ztron. Now it didn't say if this was the Ztron I or II. Also there seems to be a UBS programing kit available from CC. What is this and how do we use it? What needs to be purchased or downloaded?

Thanks,          Dennis

Alan Hahn

Re: CC 45 Phoenix ESC set up with Ztron II timer & programing
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:44:17 AM »
Dennis,
I use my CC Phoenix 35's (2) with both the Ztron 3 and JMP-2 with no problems. I was also originally nervous since there were some problems originally (was it in arming the ESC?).

CC sells a USB cable/interface ("Castle Link" if you want to program using a PC (software doesn't work on a Mac). I use the Castle Link. You can also program it using a RC transmitter and receiver (ESC plugged into throttle). In this regard the Jeti Spin is "better" because there you can buy a programming card and be untethered to a PC (good idea when you are at the field). But in any case, I have standardized on CC, since I have gotten some pretty good deals on the 35A Phoenix (~$60 for each as I recall). I also note that CC is having a 25% off list price sale on all its products in March (something related to being sued for not being entirely "Made in USA", but that is another story--see their site).

I think I gave my E-Nobler setup on that thread.

I recommend using a small diameter prop if you are setting things up on the plane. It keeps the battery current down (as well as the pull of the plane) and puts less heat stress on everthing. And in governor mode, the prop you use for the setup doesn't matter with regards to the rpm the motor runs at.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:24:02 PM »
Hi Dennis,
Yes, you'll need a Castle-Link cable. The Castle governor is the tightest and fastest responding one out there and it does make a difference in minimizing speed changes in maneuvers as well as whip-up in the wind. Legal issues ... humph! n1

The "problem" folks had was probably trying to set the "throttle on the Zigras timer too high, to somethink like 80%. That's becasue they were flying on regular throttle at maybe 80% ... Many motors run at 30% setting on the Zigras timer to get the 9,000 to 10,000 RPM setpoint.

Alan's advice to use small props for setup work is excellent advice. I use 1/2 A props, just to get a tach reading.

let us know how it goes,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »
All,

OK, everything in now operational, CC45 ESC set for high governor, 75 gain and default on the rest. Now the Ztron is set at 68% as a starting point. Plan is to test with a 9x5 prop to get rpm then move to an 11x5 and 12x5 and check the amps for each. My understanding is that once the ESC is set we adjust the rpm with the timer by adjusting the setting of the motor start and motor end to the same % is up or down as needed, correct? If the ground amps are above say 45 A (the A123's seem to be able to take a little higher draw rate then the LiPloy's) the prop diameter is reduced to shed load.  If the motor surges (not sure what this will be like, I imagine the motor rpm hunts up and down for a bit) the ESC gain needs to be reduced, correct?

Best,          Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
Dennis,
Yes set the rpm with a small prop. Then if you can turn a larger prop on the ground at the same rpm, you should be set to go. Only proviso is that you should try this with the battery at ~40% charge (left in battery) to see if it can handle the rpm at the lower voltage.

With a governor, you want to set the beginning and ending flight speed the same. This option really only makes sense if you aren't using a governor but still want the rpm to stay up as the battery winds down in voltage. The governor mode in the ESC will actually make this compensation for you automatically as the battery winds down---as long as the ESC hasn't already maxed out the throttle.

What I saw on one setup I had, with the governor gain too high, I would hear a motor oscillation whenever I would do a square corner. I think what was going on was that the ESC overcompensated for the load change, and then had to back off a little. Lowering the gain (by 10% in that case) solved that problem (I didn't search to find the exact amount, but it did go away at 10%).

Kim Doherty

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »
Dennis,

You should ALWAYS be running in GOVERNOR MODE. There are no exceptions to this. There are no compelling reasons to EVER not run in GOVERNOR MODE !! It is not relevant even if you want to vary the rpm during the flight, (although that will set your program back to 2005) you would still use governor mode. Use the Ztron to set your flight rpm. Make sure you test the amp draw with your flight prop ON THE GROUND before the your first flight. Once in the air it is too late to save the battery if you have guessed wrong.

Frankly, I would never consider using a smaller prop to set anything as it has no bearing on the reality of an actual flight. Be careful, an inch more of pitch and an inch more of diameter could eat your battery really fast if you do not test that specific combination on the ground first.

Kim.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:50:44 PM »
Kim,
Note that when you first turn things on, a small prop makes a lot of sense. Much better to see how that goes--get the rpm right then put on the real prop to make sure the power is there. When you first try things out in governor mode, most of us don't know what rpm we are going to get. That can really burn up if you put the real prop on first.

Kim Doherty

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »
Alan,

I would agree that the very first time you turn the system on you could use a small prop to ensure that the connections are good and that the timer is controlling the rpm. However, regardless of what you set the timer to with the smaller prop the rpm and run time will not be the same (or even close) to the actual rpm with the larger prop. You can and should be ready to tach the prop and reduce the rpm via the timer during any test. (If not just disconnect the power) If you have done your homework and sized the motor/battery/esc combo properly there will not be any rpm setting that is "wrong" or harmful for the setup. After all, that is why there is a kV for each motor and why you add more or less cells. Some work with something like MotoCalc or similar software will help get all the right pieces going at just the right rpm and draw. This is why having test equipment is ESSENTIAL for flying electric C/L. Without having an EagleTree unit and an E-Meter I am not sure if I would have known enough to develop my setup to a competitive level as fast as we did.

I think I mounted an 8x6 prop for the very first test. Then I went straight to a Graupner 14x6 CamProp with no injurious results. I ran probably no less than fifty, full power, full time (6minutes 20 seconds) simulations with both the E-meter and the EagleTree and a temperature probe hooked up prior to putting everything in the plane.

You also should not be starting tests with anything less than a fully charged battery. That is just asking for problems!

Kim.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 10:39:53 PM »
I have done some motor tests and found as expected that the small prop (9x5) had the highest rpm (11,000) and the lowest current (24 amps). Moving to the next prop an 11x5 the rpm dropped to 10,000 and the current increased to 50 amps. Putting the big prop a 12x5 again the rpm dropped to 9000 and the current increase to 61 amps. All test were done in high governor mode, gain at 75, all else in default, timer set to 64% motor start and end, all else default.

Question - how do I know if the "Governor" is governing instead of just "Hooking" up (theres a bad NY joke in there, sorry). What do I look for to know the governor mode is working? What changes with different prop sizes?

Best,   Dennis

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 08:45:48 AM »
Hi Dennis,
You said you started with the timer at something like 64%. The RPM control loop is probably slammed against the battery voltage (wanting to apply more than it has) because 64% probably is equivalent to 16,000 RPM! You can't get there and you are probably so far out in the weeds that you have no idea how far out you really are. No problem!

The easiest way to do your initial bench runs is to either borrow an RC TX and RX or to get a servo controller with a readout like the Vexa RC ServoXciter (http://www.vexacontrol.com/) and play with it. The pulse width or % timer throttle that you use has nothing at all to do with how much "throttle" you think would be necessary to turn the desired RPM. For example an AXI 2826 series motor (with 14 cogging points per revolution) will turn 9,000 RPM with 1.3 milliSeconds timer output pulse width. Yes, that works out to about 30%.

If you can't get a TX or pulse generator, then set the timer to 30% and start over. Once you are within the limits where the control loop can run, you'll see that you can run props that vary from the "real" size all the way down to 1/2A sized, and the RPM stays the same.

I hope this helps,
Deann
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »
Dean,

Thanks for the feedback. That's what my gut was telling me. I will start at the 30% and see where that sets the rpm with the 9x5 trying to get to say 9500, then move up to the 11x5. I don't think the AXI2820/8 will handle the 12x5 since it pulled only 9000. I'll get there.

Thanks,    Dennis

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
Hi Dennis,
It is a good idea, up front, to set the ESC to normal fixed-throttle mode, like an RC fixed wing flyer, and then see what RPM you get at full throttle, just to be sure that you aren't asking too much!
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »
Dean,

I had a chance to revise the timer motor start and end to 32%, tested on a 9x5 got 9600 rpm, (this had been at 11K with the prior set up) put the 11x5 on and got the same 9600 rpm, looks like I'm there. I tried the 12x5 and it was still at 9000 so I think that is going to be to much I will use the 11x5 for the first flight set to 3mins. The 9600 is a little more than I think I need but if its a little fast it will be OK for the first flight it will give me a benchmark to adjust from. Hope to fly tomorrow will bring the temp probe to try and get a rough end of flight temp on motor and battery. In all the test runs they just barely got warm.

Best,        Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
After flight testing the set up it and reducing the timer to 29 (motor start - motor end) I was still to fast on the lap time and checked the rpm it was turning 9300 which seem to be on the upper edge (make that upper upper edge) of the control range of the timer. Total run time for the system was 5min 38sec over two flights and one ground test. Motor was warm to the touch but not uncomfortable to touch, battery even cooler. I think it can handle the load now just need to get the rpm down and this should help get the flight time to the 5min 45 sec mark which I think will work.

I did another adjustment to reduce the timer to 24 and it now holds 8800 rpm with the flight prop (APC E 11.5 x 5.5 a cut down 12x6). This should get me to the 5.0 lap time that I want. The package seems to be very powerfull and if we can get the flight time has plenty of power for a 40 size ship (A123 test ship is 625sq and 56oz it pulls this like a 45 would).

Best,        Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here