News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cavalier ready to fly.  (Read 3190 times)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cavalier ready to fly.
« on: October 12, 2020, 08:14:47 PM »
A while back I bought an E-Cavalier from Ty.  Ty had built it quite some time back and the covering was brittle.  I had repaired many holes with clear packing tape.  However it's a really good flying aircraft.   I decided to strip the old covering off and recover the wing.  I also made a couple of changes.  I added an arming plug and and reinstalled the electronics.  Anyway results ain't half bad if you stay back 6'.   My plan is to use this ship to learn the beginner's patter.  The only thing I haven't tried yet is the over head 8.  I have a stiff neck and I will have to work out how to do the overhead stuff.   If it survives and if I get off my lazy rear-end and learn the pattern I should make my first stunt contest next summer.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cavalier ready to fly.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 09:27:08 AM »
More pictures of the electronics setup.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 11:01:24 AM »
More pictures of the electronics setup.   D>K
Really nice job.  The Cavalier is one of my Classic favorites.  Just for reference, I used the clamshell on my profile Twister.  I ran the shell over the wing as you did thinking that enough air would make it out the back to cool everything.  I was wrong.  After cutting slots in the shell and cutting off the part over the wing, all was well.  It had about 300 flights on it when it died in our house fire but that was the only time it ever overheated.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 12:41:06 PM »
Kin Good point.  The motor should be OK.  It is out in the open on one side.  On past flights the battery was warm but not what I would consider hot.   However, in the future I will keep an eye on how hot things get.

John  y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 09:36:53 PM »
I flew the recovered E-Cavalier today.  Three good flights.  Line tension was good even during the wing over.  Right now I am just sport flying. Some loops (inside & outside), wing overs, and some figure 8s.  I have the KR timer set for 4 minutes.  Plenty of time to do the beginners pattern.  The put back on a 2800ma pack was 1579ma or about 56%.  I should be able to increase the time to 5-1/2 minutes when needed.  Nothing seemed to run hot.  So all is good in the neighborhood.  Time to get serious about learning the  beginners pattern.   y1   y1   y1   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 09:52:54 PM »
The Cavalier looks great.   I too am now having problems with over head maneuvers.   Ty, been cleaning planes that have been in the shop for a while.  I too noticed those finished with Brodak Clear are letting the covering split with the grain.  On a couple of them I have put a covering of mylar on over the old finished.

John, just seen the post on the flight of your Cavalier.  Sounds like you have a good one. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 09:07:46 AM »
I too am now having problems with over head maneuvers.
This may warrant it's own thread.  As those kids in their 50's and 60's start to age they are going to find that the body just won't bend like it used to and the trusted peripheral vision is starting to lie to you. :X Two solutions.  1 - Bribe the Judges, 2 - Redefine Classic to be the pilot not the plane. LL~

Bottom line - I feel your pain!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 04:57:56 PM »
Well this one no longer exits. Bottom of a figure 8 below pavement.  It was ugly.  Ty gave me some good advice.  While learning keep it high. with time you can bring it down. :'(     Working on a replacement.  I acquired another one of Ty's wall decorations.  You can't believe how many aircrafts Ty has in his garage.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:29:33 AM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »
Well here we go again.  Another Cavaler ready for it's first flight.   As I said earlier This was a wall hanger in Ty's garage.  It was in primer but the covering had became brittle.  Not wanting to spend a lot of money on it, (in my hands it may be short lived  LL~),  I finished it with stuff I had on hand.  It looks OK at 10 ft.  But you don't want to look close.  It appears to be flight worthy.  All of the electronics and motor are working as planned.  So it's time for first flight.  Right now it's too windy.  So hopefully next week I can give it a go y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 08:36:55 PM »
First flight today. Ty's wall hanger Flies OK. Looks like Ty built this one warp free.   #^  Needs a little trimming.  Should be a good flying aircraft.  PS it's still in one piece.  I kept everything high!   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
Flew my Cavalier again today.   The speed controller went belly up. Fortunately it was during level flight. It was the one that was involved in the really bad crash.  Also the motor is working but seem a little ruff.  Just ordered a new ESC and motor.  I use the Turnigy Plush-32 40A with my KR timer and the motor is a Cobra 2826/10.  Not a lot of $ to keep from destroying another Cavalier.  y1  PS did most of the beginner's pattern.  New Cavalier is trimmed out and flies great!
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 01:11:47 PM »
Did it again.  Same stupid thing.  The green and white Cavalier is no more.    :'(
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »
Did it again.  Same stupid thing.  The green and white Cavalier is no more.    :'(
You are going to make me cry.  Two Cavaliers in less than one month?  Don't let it get you down.  We all re-kitted ships learning the pattern.  One thing to keep in the back of your mind going forward.  The V8 and clover are very susceptible to down drafts.  It will take years to develop the instincts to know when you are in one and it doesn't take much.  Your only defense early on is to have enough reserve control to turn it out of danger.  The hard part is learning to not use it unless you need it.

Another Cavalier?  I am seriously considering one for Classic/Profile.  My PA ship in the 70's was a highly modified Cavalier I called Surveyor.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »
I think you need some foam wing based planes to learn the more advanced maneuvers.  Crashes become inconveniences not catastrophes.  Fix with gorilla glue and packing tape.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 10:02:06 PM »
I am in the process of resurrecting the green Cavalier. Requires a whole new front end. On a limited budget right now so I am using stuff from the scrap box. It will be butt ugly but hopefully it will fly OK.  My big concern is straightness and weight.  If it work pictures and flight report to follow.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
Hi John,
   Make sure your motor turns straight and that the shaft is not bent, but you probably know this already.
AMA 98010

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 06:22:42 PM »
John, I have been thinking about something that might help.  The current wisdom is to have more elevator than flap.  I agree if all else, especially the weight, is in line.  However if you are overweight you need more lift in the rounds than you do in the squares.  I had a similar problem with my practice ship last year which had become a bit of a porker and had a "classical" airfoil.  It was suggested by a friend who also had a "pig" that I try a 45/30 setup instead of the 30/45 I was using.   I decided to humor him and try it.  To my surprise it worked.

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 06:37:34 PM »
John, I have been thinking about something that might help.  The current wisdom is to have more elevator than flap.  I agree if all else, especially the weight, is in line.  However if you are overweight you need more lift in the rounds than you do in the squares.  I had a similar problem with my practice ship last year which had become a bit of a porker and had a "classical" airfoil.  It was suggested by a friend who also had a "pig" that I try a 45/30 setup instead of the 30/45 I was using.   I decided to humor him and try it.  To my surprise it worked.

Ken
Ken
Are you saying 45 flaps, 30 elevator for an over weight ship?   Right now I think I am at 50/50.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
Ken
Are you saying 45 flaps, 30 elevator for an over weight ship?   Right now I think I am at 50/50.
Yes.  I was shocked that it worked too and I am only suggesting it because it worked for two of us when all else failed.  If you have an adjustable elevator horn it might be worth it to try a flight or two.  That ship was designed for 50/50 but if you are having trouble making the bottom half of the V8 then it won't hurt to have that extra lift till you get the hang of it.  It is not an easy maneuver to master.  Are you sure that you are not nose heavy?  Hunting only really affects 4 laps of the entire pattern.  Don't destroy the rest to eliminate it.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 08:12:57 PM »
Well I am far enough along to get the weight.  I have two Cavaliers.  The one weighs 45 oz ready to launch.  My repaired one weighs 48 oz.  So I gained 3 oz in the repair.  I had not weighed it before the crash so I don't know what it weighed in the first place.  Anyway I think I am OK.  I haven't worked on the CG yet.  If anything it is noise heave.  A good thing because it takes less tail weight to balance.   D>K
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 05:19:14 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 11:16:18 PM »
Hi John,
   Make sure your motor turns straight and that the shaft is not bent, but you probably know this already.
It was bent.  New shaft and new bearings.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 11:27:09 PM »
Yes.  I was shocked that it worked too and I am only suggesting it because it worked for two of us when all else failed.  If you have an adjustable elevator horn it might be worth it to try a flight or two.  That ship was designed for 50/50 but if you are having trouble making the bottom half of the V8 then it won't hurt to have that extra lift till you get the hang of it.  It is not an easy maneuver to master.  Are you sure that you are not nose heavy?  Hunting only really affects 4 laps of the entire pattern.  Don't destroy the rest to eliminate it.

Ken

Oddly enough it is the horizonal 8, not the V8, that is doing me in.  I have done lazy 8s ever since 1954.   Trying to get used to the correct 8.  Where I crash is on the second inside loop.  I didn't clime high enough coming out of the first outside loop leaving the bottom of the inside loop 6" below ground.  Not a big problem just need to avoid brain farts. 

I finally got around to checking the CG.  It is at the high point of the wing.  This should be OK.    D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2020, 07:05:57 AM »
Oddly enough it is the horizonal 8, not the V8, that is doing me in.  I have done lazy 8s ever since 1954.   Trying to get used to the correct 8.  Where I crash is on the second inside loop.  I didn't clime high enough coming out of the first outside loop leaving the bottom of the inside loop 6" below ground.  Not a big problem just need to avoid brain farts. 

I finally got around to checking the CG.  It is at the high point of the wing.  This should be OK.    D>K
I agree.  Heavy but not too heavy.  Mine were around 38 but that was back in the Fox 35 days.  You are right, that is cockpit error.   Don't know why but I just assumed it was the V8.  Was it just not high enough or are you not getting vertical at the intersection?  If you get vertical you will be at the right height without having to think about it.   Just some other food for thought.  Can you stall the plane or come close by giving it full control (at an appropriate height of course).  If you can't you may not have enough elevator movement to hit the panic button.  I only bring this up because we fly in an area prone to sudden downdrafts and it has been that extra control that saved the plane on many occasions, especially the older designs.

Good luck - Ken

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:05:43 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2020, 08:47:27 AM »
No flight test yet but I do have pictures.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »
More pictures.  D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »
I was thinking that a 2820 or a 3510 sized motor should fly that plane with ease. Both would lighten the plane and also the nose of the plane possibly also making it easier to turn. Nothing wrong with the 2826 just trying to knock a bit of weight off the front of the plane and total package. That Thunderbird speed control that you have will also knock some weight off. Just trying to get you back closer to your original weight.   
AMA 98010

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
Flew the rebuilt  Cavalier today (two flights).  Couldn't tell any difference between before crash and after repair.  So it looks like I won the battle on this one.   I did check response to control handle movement.  It is a little slow.  I will increase the line spacing at the handle.  Also it might benefit from a tad of tail weight..   #^   #^   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here