Electric Stunt > Gettin all AMP'ed up!

Cavalier ready to fly.

<< < (4/6) > >>

William DeMauro:
Hi John,
   Make sure your motor turns straight and that the shaft is not bent, but you probably know this already.

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: John Rist on November 20, 2020, 01:11:47 PM ---Did it again.  Same stupid thing.  The green and white Cavalier is no more.    :'(

--- End quote ---
John, I have been thinking about something that might help.  The current wisdom is to have more elevator than flap.  I agree if all else, especially the weight, is in line.  However if you are overweight you need more lift in the rounds than you do in the squares.  I had a similar problem with my practice ship last year which had become a bit of a porker and had a "classical" airfoil.  It was suggested by a friend who also had a "pig" that I try a 45/30 setup instead of the 30/45 I was using.   I decided to humor him and try it.  To my surprise it worked.

Ken

John Rist:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on December 05, 2020, 06:22:42 PM ---John, I have been thinking about something that might help.  The current wisdom is to have more elevator than flap.  I agree if all else, especially the weight, is in line.  However if you are overweight you need more lift in the rounds than you do in the squares.  I had a similar problem with my practice ship last year which had become a bit of a porker and had a "classical" airfoil.  It was suggested by a friend who also had a "pig" that I try a 45/30 setup instead of the 30/45 I was using.   I decided to humor him and try it.  To my surprise it worked.

Ken

--- End quote ---
Ken
Are you saying 45 flaps, 30 elevator for an over weight ship?   Right now I think I am at 50/50.

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: John Rist on December 05, 2020, 06:37:34 PM ---Ken
Are you saying 45 flaps, 30 elevator for an over weight ship?   Right now I think I am at 50/50.

--- End quote ---
Yes.  I was shocked that it worked too and I am only suggesting it because it worked for two of us when all else failed.  If you have an adjustable elevator horn it might be worth it to try a flight or two.  That ship was designed for 50/50 but if you are having trouble making the bottom half of the V8 then it won't hurt to have that extra lift till you get the hang of it.  It is not an easy maneuver to master.  Are you sure that you are not nose heavy?  Hunting only really affects 4 laps of the entire pattern.  Don't destroy the rest to eliminate it.

Ken

John Rist:
Well I am far enough along to get the weight.  I have two Cavaliers.  The one weighs 45 oz ready to launch.  My repaired one weighs 48 oz.  So I gained 3 oz in the repair.  I had not weighed it before the crash so I don't know what it weighed in the first place.  Anyway I think I am OK.  I haven't worked on the CG yet.  If anything it is noise heave.  A good thing because it takes less tail weight to balance.   D>K

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version